• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Z-180, anyone else have one?

There you go SK real words about your experience and not some marketing spiel. But maybe Robalo was just repeating what is written somewhere about this new scientific break-through in mobile antenna design.

Robalo, this antenna does come with a magnet mount base of its own, right?

marconi, no it doesnt come with a magnet. the antenna costs roughly $50 but it fits in any wilson magnet mount 1000/5000. one of my locals has one and it sounds good and he's happy with it. the original magnet for that is the Z01-00006 5" Magnet Mount, and it goes roughly $25

Z01-00006.jpg

Z01-00002 Z180 Mobile Antenna
[Z01-00002] $49.99

Frequency Range: 25.650 MHz ~ 28.900 MHz
77-1/2" Overall length Carbon Tapered Stainless Steel Whip.
Antistatic Tip for less noise.
Mounting Any SO-239 Mount.
Heavy Duty waterproof coil.
Removable coil for:Car Wash, Safe Storage & Garage Entrance.
Rated at 2,000 Watts PEP.

:) :) :)

Marconi said:
I just noted a review on Copper'sWebsite in the Subscriber's Section, by one of their techs that compared 4 mobile antennas. Two Wilson's, a Z-180, and some other mobile antenna. Their 12 day report saw a 2 - 3 Sunit advantage for both the Z-180 and the other antenna over the Wilson antennas. He also saw a significant reduction (2-3 Sunits) in noise using the Z-180. This is absoutely remarkable. Excepting for the 5/8 wavelength business, it agrees with what 775 is telling us here.

I guess Wilson is in some serious trouble now.

Sounds familiar, no BS either, & that's a great description of my Z-180. Less static, & better ears. More signal out, with less signal fluctuation while moving too. :)

BTW, H&Y claims it to be a 5/8 wave though, not me. ;)

Switch Kit said:
Finally something catches my fancy !! I want one !! Hopefully I can get one just to use before I buy it , Hmmmmmm interesting ! I like the look as well . Better then a Wilson huh ? Hmmmm , I's got's to know ! Z-180 hmmmmmm , this is my next project for sure. (beings that it will screw into my Wilson roof mount as it is) Over the years I have compared the Francis 8 footer and 102 inch SS to my Wilson and to tell you the truth ,there may have been a slight difference in receive but my tests always gave me the same reports as far as carriers were concerned on all of them up against my Wilson . IM sure in the scientific world , the Francis and 102 SS would have won out for sure. But this is the first time in at least 15 years I've heard somebody say that there was a better loaded antenna then a Wilson 1000/5000 roof mount.(outside the 10K but I would never run one of those in the city) I've got to see this and use this to believe it. IM going to try and get my hands on one asap. Mans got to know what mans got to know. Thanks for the thread. Interesting
Z01-00002.jpg

You're welcome Switch. I'm glad I shared this secret here with all you folks. :D Please don't knock this antenna until trying it first. I was skeptical as well, but I'm glad I finally got one. for best results, use the roof mount. The better the ground, the better it works. ;)
It caught my eye in their catalog, & I had to see for myself! Couldn't resist, since they offer a $$$ back guarantee if you don't like it.

I have heard alot of good about these antennas aswell they say they honestly out perform wilson and k40 all the way around. I know they will screw right onto the wilson magmounts so being a wilson 5000 user myself Ill have to by the antenna and screw it in place of one of my 5000 and see for myself running a exact same distance base to mobile between the antennas. Right now Im working on trying out this Predator 10K 27'' shafter I got in the mail today then I will buy and compare the Z180 after and post all results between wilson,z180 and the predator 10K ;)

TonyV225 said:
I have heard alot of good about these antennas aswell they say they honestly out perform wilson and k40 all the way around. I know they will screw right onto the wilson magmounts so being a wilson 5000 user myself Ill have to by the antenna and screw it in place of one of my 5000 and see for myself running a exact same distance base to mobile between the antennas. Right now Im working on trying out this Predator 10K 27'' shafter I got in the mail today then I will buy and compare the Z180 after and post all results between wilson,z180 and the predator 10K ;)
i imagine this will be your results
1]preadator 10k
2]z-180
3]wilson 5k

just recieved the z-180 today.gotta say first thing i noticed
the stinger was slightly larger in diameter than the wilson.
noise,white noise,floor noise,atmosphere noise was much lower
on this antenna.but still has great ears.actually i hear guys
50 miles away that i couldnt hear before in mobile.
signal reports so far were close but edge to z-180.swrs
great thru 11 meters.will haVE to do more tests oh
as most were only around 5-10 mile range

well after about an 1hr of testing heres my results.my test
was done on ssb with a stock grantxl at 20 mile distance
wilson=0-2 sunits
z-180=1-3sunits
recive on my end
i seen about a 1-2 sunit increase
all in all not a drastic increase but it was noticable also
for those that live in the city the z-180 even though its longer
the bottom isnt as noticable going down the road as the wilson.
it also folds over no more coil/whip flopping around inside the vehicle.cool idea.swrs were perfect on 11meter band upon
installing it did no adjusting to the antenna what so ever]
in short its a great antenna for your money.honestly.but
if your into running kw watts in your mobile then id say the
10k is better suited for thatheres the 2.1 mhz bandwith
26.065-28.755 not bad

Nice! 8) Sounds like it's working like it should from what you posted. They might not handle as much as a Wilson can, but 2 Kw is alot of power! I really don't know why anyone would need/want to be exposed to that much RF anyway. :?
Just let the antenna do most of the :walkin & talkin'. :D

DX'ing all day long on a big hill when the conditions are good is not unusual in my case. I just use the radio inline with it, & I really don't see the need for a big amp with these antennas(at least not mine) either. 50-150W is more than enough. ;) Besides, if I can hear them, they can hear me 90% of the time.
Anyhow....

How do you like yours so far HotRod?

Anyone else in here besides us 2 get one of these cool antennas yet? Switch? Marconi? Bueller?... Bueller? LOL :LOL:

so a 1 to 2 s-unit increase over the wilson on recieve . what about transmitting ?

IM still looking into this Z-180 ......Who makes it ? or who puts it out ? Barjan ? Who Who Who Who ? Thanks ! Could there really be a new kid on the block ? Hmmmmm

I just read a new report posted on the original source that states the bandwidth of the Z-180 will effectively cover 4.5> mHz with low SWR, covering 10-11-12 meters without adjustment while showing approximately 2-3 Sunits better signals than the Wilson line of mobile antennas.

Some have noted a 2 mHz bandwidth, but 4.5 mHz is quite a bit without retuning.

It's getting better all the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.