• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Z-180, anyone else have one?

Well you did answer MC, but do you know for sure or is it just a guess? If you are sure this is what is inside these antennas that claim to be 5/8 wave or longer, how do you get past the very large capacitive reactance without very heavy inductor losses in transformation?

I suppose this is what the marketing department of this antenna wants us to think if they in fact do make that claim. I asked 775 this very question as I'm not confinced they actually do make this claim. They do suggest a very broad bandwidth among other things in the description that I read.

Do you really think we can simply add that much inductor and still produce anywhere near enough RF to compete with a true resonant or reasonably shortened and matched 1/4 wave in 11 meters?

I can't say your idea will not work, but I do say if it does---it will not be very effective nor compete as 775 says it does well.

I asked this question just to get the guys to think about the likely reality of this claim for an 11 meter mobile that will still compete nicely with a traditional 1/4 wave radiator like 775 claims?

hotrod said:
ive seen ya can get just the antenna and no mount or coax
so will this antenna mount onto a different mount .like say
a wilson 5000 magnet mount

Hotrod, Yes you are correct, it will work fine on any 5K magnet, trunk, or roof or mount. The one I got even came with a roof mount kit in the packaging, but I just screwed it onto my Wilson roof mount instead because I did'nt feel like messing with my headliner again. ;)

Marconi said:
BTW 775, where do you find that this Z-180 claims to be 5/8 anyway?

I can see maybe making such a sacrifice to performance with a mobile 80 or 40 meter rig, but I don't see it in 11 meters.

It was mentioned in the long description on the back page of their small catalog for awhile. I'm reading it right now, & it says: 26-30Mhz, 77-1/2" stainless stinger, 20% more gain than it's competitor, rated @ 2Kw, adjustable base coil, etc,etc...

I remember seeing 5/8ths wave mentioned in the owners manual, & packaging also. I'll see if I can find the manual, but no guarantee though.

You fellas bring up a good point, but I don't know how they made it a 5/8 wave, however mine seems to be doing the job like the base version. My friends don't know whether I'm mobile or not! 8)

Thanks 775, I just get curious when I hear such claims. I guess I'm just a skeptic. This thing about a 5/8 wave mobile antenna seems a bit to the fairy tale side of truth for me.

Marconi said:
Well you did answer MC, but do you know for sure or is it just a guess? If you are sure this is what is inside these antennas that claim to be 5/8 wave or longer, how do you get past the very large capacitive reactance without very heavy inductor losses in transformation?
Again, I make no claims about the Z-180. Firestik claims their antennas are 5/8 wave also. Thats a whole lot of wire!

I agree with you that a reasonable size 1/4 wave is the best mobile antenna. This is why I recommend and use the Wilson 1000.

MC if the wilson base loaded antennas are 1/4wave then i would say the sirio and its clones must be 1/4wave too,
the shorter sirios use the same coilform as the longer sirios but have more turns on the transformer,
i have swapped out stingers for longer thicker tapered ones and removed one or two turns from the top of the transformer, they perform better when mobile riding much more vertical,
the stinger from a 6ft avanti moonraker works great in the sirio 3000/4000/megawatt and the midland bomber antennas, the stinger from a valor 520 halfbreed works perfect in the sirio shuttle with one turn removed from the transformer,
i would love to do the same with my wilson 5000 because the coil is better quality but there aint enough meat in the holder to allow me to drill it for the thicker stinger,

has anybody managed to dismatle the 1000 or 5000 without damaging it??

So you fellas are thinking this is probably a 1/4 wave like the Wilson's instead of a 5/8? After reading over everyone's posts again, I'm a little :?

However, this antenna has alot more useable bandwidth without any re-tuning neccessary, than the Wilsons do. How's that work?? More coil windings?? More surface area?? Taller/thicker stinger maybe?? Or???
I'm kinda curious now, & I'd love to take one apart & post a few pics of the coil windings if I had a broken one layng around. Maybe if this one breaks, but until then....

Again, I appreciate everyone's input & thoughts here. Keep 'em coming! :)

Again again, I make NO CLAIMS about the Z-180. Do not lump me into the group you believe thinks its a 1/4 wave. I have no clue.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, a simple capacitor in the base could extend bandwidth, which makes the antenna less efficient.

Master Chief said:
Again again, I make NO CLAIMS about the Z-180. Do not lump me into the group you believe thinks its a 1/4 wave. I have no clue.

As far as bandwidth is concerned, a simple capacitor in the base could extend bandwidth, which makes the antenna less efficient.
ive heard this also.

I just noted a review on Copper'sWebsite in the Subscriber's Section, by one of their techs that compared 4 mobile antennas. Two Wilson's, a Z-180, and some other mobile antenna. Their 12 day report saw a 2 - 3 Sunit advantage for both the Z-180 and the other antenna over the Wilson antennas. He also saw a significant reduction (2-3 Sunits) in noise using the Z-180. This is absoutely remarkable. Excepting for the 5/8 wavelength business, it agrees with what 775 is telling us here.

I guess Wilson is in some serious trouble now.

Marconi said:
I just noted a review on Copper'sWebsite in the Subscriber's Section, by one of their techs that compared 4 mobile antennas. Two Wilson's, a Z-180, and some other mobile antenna. Their 12 day report saw a 2 - 3 Sunit advantage for both the Z-180 and the other antenna over the Wilson antennas. He also saw a significant reduction (2-3 Sunits) in noise using the Z-180. This is absoutely remarkable. Excepting for the 5/8 wavelength business, it agrees with what 775 is telling us here.

I guess Wilson is in some serious trouble now.

If that was written by Tech808 over there, I'd take it with a enormous grain of salt. 2 to 3 s-units? I call BS!!!!

It is amazing, right? How did you guess that?

The report makes a claim and I requested some of the actual results they recorded for this comparison. The antenna discriptions are noted, but no test results are posted. I say if you can't show a little of your work, I'm not inclined to accept your results as gospel.

Anybody can make a claim and claim it is a result of exhaustive testing. Claims don't mean dootely squat if you can't show and tell.

Marconi said:
It is amazing, right? How did you guess that?

The report makes a claim and I requested some of the actual results they recorded for this comparison. The antenna discriptions are noted, but no test results are posted. I say if you can't show a little of your work, I'm not inclined to accept your results as gospel.

Anybody can make a claim and claim it is a result of exhaustive testing. Claims don't mean dootely squat if you can't show and tell.

It sounds like someone is trying to "Pump Up Z-180 Antenna Sales" !

6' 7" gives this antenna a loud mouth and big ears. 20% more power and db gain than Wilson or its competitors. Water Proof, Base Loaded with a Freq. range of 26 MHz to 30 MHz. Has a Carbon Tapered Stainless Steel Whip with a Antistatic Tip for less noise.If you want your mobile to sound like, and receive like a base unit, this is the antenna you must have. Can be mounted anywhere. *COMES WITH A FULL 2 YEAR WARRANTY* If it does not out shoot and hear better than the Wilson, send it back for a full purchase price refund within 15 days of purchase. (NOTE: UPS, boxing, and other shipping charges excluded). **NOTE** THIS ANTENNA WILL FIT ANY WILSON MOUNT. Just *** *** *** NOTE WHAT CB TRICKS HAS TO SAY ABOUT THIS ANTENNA *** "As for the RM Z-180 antenna, it is a truly fine antenna system. The magnetic base allows you to drive up to 90 miles an hour with no llift, and the antenna is fantastic as far as receive and output. Very broad banded, too! Have gone from 25.650 to 28.900 with great SWRs! Highly recommend this unit."
(from: http://www.hyelectronics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=Z-180)

Finally something catches my fancy !! I want one !! Hopefully I can get one just to use before I buy it , Hmmmmmm interesting ! I like the look as well . Better then a Wilson huh ? Hmmmm , I's got's to know ! Z-180 hmmmmmm , this is my next project for sure. (beings that it will screw into my Wilson roof mount as it is) Over the years I have compared the Francis 8 footer and 102 inch SS to my Wilson and to tell you the truth ,there may have been a slight differents in receive but my tests always gave me the same reports as far as carriers were concerned on all of them up against my Wilson . IM sure in the scieintific world , the Francis and 102 SS would have won out for sure. But this is the first time in at least 15 years I've heard somebody say that there was a better loaded antenna then a Wilson 1000/5000 roof mount.(outside the 10K but I would never run one of those in the city) I've got to see this and use this to believe it. IM going to try and get my hands on one asap. Mans got to know what mans got to know. Thanks for the thread. Interesting
Z01-00002.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.