• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Z-180, anyone else have one?

Switch Kit said:
IM still looking into this Z-180 ......Who makes it ? or who puts it out ? Barjan ? Who Who Who Who ? Thanks ! Could there really be a new kid on the block ? Hmmmmm
Switch, Go to here and you will KNOW how makes it.. www.sirioantenne.it. Click on antennes and it's call the Hi Power 3000 or 4000. I buy a lot from them.. They also carry the "NE" P/N 2500202.03. Hope this Help's
Tom (667 Chicago Mobile)

so this antenna doesnt come with any type of mount . if i dont already have a wilson 1000/5000 what is a recomended mount for roof top ? something that isnt mag mounted that can be hard mounted to the roof . does anyone besides H&Y sell it in the USA ?

My antenna (labeled as the RM Italy Z-180, but yes, I would think Sirio makes these) came with a through-the-roof SO-239 mount and ??? feet of coax (I didn't use it since I have a through-the-roof Wilson mount in there already).
I haven't had a chance to do any real testing with it yet, but I will say it did display a wide bandwidth on intial meter readings.
Out of the package, SWR was flat 1.1:1 on 27 mhz and 1.4:1 at 29 mhz. With a slight bit of trimming, I will probably get a flat match on the high end of the 40 channel range, and even a decent match on the FM portion of 10 meters (29.6 mhz).

The thick whip accounts for it's broadbanded qualities, no doubt.
This is just what I was looking for, an antenna that worked well on 11m & 10m. My W-1000 didn't quite stretch as far as I wanted it too.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: you said copper !!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

thanks ;)

IMD262 said:
Weren't the Z-180's sold as the Big Bubba at one tme?

Yes it was at one time... The Big Bubba. And I have one.. It's OK... Now Im use the Bubba Whip on my Wilson 5000.. With a little work I redrill the Wilson for the whip to fit. BANG the swrs are 1.1.1 and is more broad band now then befor.
There is only one antenna out there that is more broadband then any of them. And it's called the Live Wire.. And there is a shop in PA that sells them..
Tom (667 Chicago Mobile)

p500036xc1.jpg

p500037gn3.jpg

p500040jp7.jpg

Master Chief said:
You would have a hard time convincing me it is better than a Wilson 1000.

I don't know, I may be convinced. I'm actually going to buy one and try it out. Then I'll chuck it in a lathe and see whats inside!

bob85 said:
that looks like a sirio hypower4000/megawatt, yes they do outperform a wilson 1000/5000 base load on some but not all vehicles,
the sirio 6"magmount is better than the wilson magnet on my car with either the wilson 5000 or the sirio antennas,
downside is the sirio aint as well made as the wilson and both antennas use skinny floppy stingers that make your signal sway if you get your boot down,
the new sirio 5000 has a much better stinger but the swivel stinger holder sucks,
i would like to combine the good points of all 3 and make a decent antenna ;)

Was talking about this antenna the other day with distributor , CTI Italy came to his mind ? He also brought up the older Avanti antenna's , the more I look at this antenna , it does somewhat have that old Avanti look to it , and I can now see where somebody saying they aren't built as solid as the Wilson's. I suppose I could live with that , I'd still like to try one and see if there's really that much different's between the two ? IM sure not going to put up 60.00 bucks for grinnies. Mans got to know what mans got to know. :?
p500040jp7.jpg

switch do you mean cte? italy,
i have a couple of the old avanti moonraker 6ft antennas, they are better made than the sirios and the stinger on the avanti is much fatter, i drilled the cone out on a 4000hp to fit the avanti stinger, its slightly too short on my car but works great on a larger vehicle,
no idea what grade of stainless the avanti uses but its much much tougher than any other stinger i have come across,
i can easilly straighten regular stingers with a towel and power drill even when they are badly bent in more than one place but the avanti is very hard to straighten,

im trying to get a hold of a bust sirio to cut up so you can see whats inside,
the z180 does not look identical but as i said there are several brands all basically the same with different covers and stinger holders, the z180 may be another version of the same thing.

MC have you ever managed to get inside the wilson 5000 base load without destroying it, i would like to remove a turn and fit a better stinger?
the sirios are threadlocked together, sometimes you can unscrew them and sometimes you will bust it before the threadlock lets go.

CTE , your right Bob , knew it was somewhere along those letterings :) I thought CTE had something to do with the Midland Corp. or there was a relationship of some kind.

MC have you ever managed to get inside the wilson 5000 base load without destroying it, i would like to remove a turn and fit a better stinger?
the sirios are threadlocked together, sometimes you can unscrew them and sometimes you will bust it before the threadlock lets go.

IM not MC , IM trying to better understand your question all the same ? couldn't you just carefully drill the hole bigger in the shaft for a slightly bigger stinger ? I've done that in the past with success with Wilson's , or do you mean cracking the plastic shell of the coil ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.