• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meters is wide open

How is 10 meters doing as of lately?

I hooked up my new 10 meter radio today using a Wilson 1000 antenna.

I heard a QSO on 28.430 USB, but it sounded really faint...I had to turn the squelch down to where white noise was coming thru, to hear said convo.

Flipped over to 28.200 somewhere and heard some morse code going on.

Other than that nothing else but dead air. Is 10 meters closed up? I'm in Jacksonville NC as I type this, been here a week visiting the inlaws. Heading back to the midwest tomorrow.

I hope it gets better soon....dying to try out 10 meters just for a change. :D

Well the CW on 28.200 was your first clue that the band was open. Those are NCDXF propagation beacons ---> Beacons

10's been on/off for me the last few days, but I made contacts from Ohio to New Zealand this afternoon (100W/Dipole) and Balise the other day on my 75W moblie with a Wilson 5000.

By the way, if you've got an Iphone or Android, you can down load free beacon tracking apps for them here --> NCDXF/IARU International Beacon Project - Tools for Listeners That gives you a real time world map that shows where the beacon that you are hearing is coming from. You simply listen to 28.200, and when you hear the CW/code, look at the map and it will tell you where the signal is coming from. It takes about two minutes for eighteen beacons to sound off moving from East to West, all the way around the world.

If you don't have a smartphone but do have a windows computer, you can download the same type of software for free (beaconmap V1.2) here --> PA1ARE's software page

The NCDXF system broadcasts on
14.100Mhz
18.110Mhz
21.150Mhz
24.930Mhz
28.200Mhz

I hope 10M stays open this weekend. I have time, antenna, radio, amp, tuner, all set to go. My luck I will lose power :angry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.