• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Just sat in the driveway(not the best spot…between houses) and made good contacts with 3 Georgia stations and Alabama. Southeast coming in strong in SoCal.

But…conditions are up and down. One moment it’s quiet, the next it’s a pet store!! LOL
Funny how that goes, I'm from N/E PA and as I was traveling in my car I heard Western USA bombing in over the radio. California,New Mexico, Arizona and a few others. I seem to never hear the west coast in the spring and summer only the south east and mid west. But lately seems like the west is coming in more. Is it because the tilt of the earth? I wish I was into CB when I lived in San Bernardino and traveled to Big Bear Lake frequently. Especially when I took the Motorcycle. That would have been interesting !

Last edited:
Funny how that goes, I'm from N/E PA and as I was traveling in my car I heard Western USA bombing in over the radio. California,New Mexico, Arizona and a few others. I seem to never hear the west coast in the spring and summer only the south east and mid west. But lately seems like the west is coming in more. Is it because the tilt of the earth? I wish I was into CB when I lived in San Bernardino and traveled to Big Bear Lake frequently. Especially when I took the Motorcycle. That would have been interesting !

Ya seems like the west was coming in hard! Southeast kept saying we were blowing smoke out there! This was on 38lsb btw.

I don’t hear much from the northeast. I have made a few contacts in PA, Mass and Conn. But it’s rare and always a treat when I do. Hell..any contact is a treat!!

I am sure Big Bear would be cool to transmit from. 8k feet helps a lot!! There is one station in Running Springs who’s using a Wilson 1K on top of an old fridge and I hear him 60 miles away on AM.

Hey ForestRunner98 you also have a mountain out side of Los Angeles I remember riding up and down on the motorcycle when I was out there, but can't remember the name of it. The road was kind of windy and I remember a car and I having a friendly little drag race down the slope. Young and Dumb ! LOL

Hey ForestRunner98 you also have a mountain out side of Los Angeles I remember riding up and down on the motorcycle when I was out there, but can't remember the name of it. The road was kind of windy and I remember a car and I having a friendly little drag race down the slope. Young and Dumb ! LOL

Your right! I have the San Gabriel mtn right behind me. Mt Wilson is at 5k. It is windy and at this time gets a lot of black ice.

No worries..we did a lot of silly things when young. Some got caught and some didn’t. Glad there wasn’t all those cameras out there back then!!

Up there in those mountains all you would have to do is throw some sheet metal out on the lawn with a mag. mount antenna on top and you would be walking the dog. I remember throwing a 4'x4' sheet of metal out on the lawn here in this valley with a Firestik IBA5 Indoor antenna on top and after I tuned it I made contact with a guy in Indiana 3 states away with a Stock Cobra 29 and almost messed my pants. And skip wasn't rolling either. My Grand daughter was there to witness it also Strange things happen some times. I can't imagine what 8000' would bring.

Checking out my new Galaxy 2547, I did a little tweak to the L8 can. Wow what a difference, now I have to try it on my 86v.

Nice DX today on 38LSB, I hear Arizona, San Fran Sisco California, Washington state, Utah, Idaho, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Niagara Falls, Ireland, Witch Doctor in Trinidad, all at the same time.

Then I get Super Dave mixed with the Blah, Blah, Blah guy..........o_O
What is L8 for?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
DX2527 L8.jpg

Q18 and Q19 are 2SJ310 JFETs used in a balanced 1st mixer, that takes the 27 MHz receive signal and mixes the 16 MHz VCO frequency to output a
10.695 MHz 1st IF (27-16=10.695).
L8 is the output IF coil that balances the 2 transistors, that if not balanced, can reduce your sensitivity.

View attachment 49584

Q18 and Q19 are 2SJ310 JFETs used in a balanced 1st mixer, that takes the 27 MHz receive signal and mixes the 16 MHz VCO frequency to output a
10.695 MHz 1st IF (27-16=10.695).
L8 is the output IF coil that balances the 2 transistors, that if not balanced, can reduce your sensitivity.

That's over my head I won't mess with it. Thinking about sending it out for the Schotkey receive mod and check up.

The schotkey receive mod is suppose to improve the receive and quite the air noise somewhat. In this stinking valley I need all the help I can get. I have discovered a CB repairman about a 3 hour ride from me so I'm going to call and talk to him and tell him about my problem children and if he can take care of Them I just might load them up and take-em for a little ride. About the same distance as you are from me and maybe I wouldn't be a disgruntled DXer anymore. The guy is recommended by several radio forum guy's so I might throw him some trial bones. A couple road trips might be in order. I'm growing tired of dealing with CB problems and time to Clean House.

The schotkey receive mod is suppose to improve the receive and quite the air noise somewhat. In this stinking valley I need all the help I can get. I have discovered a CB repairman about a 3 hour ride from me so I'm going to call and talk to him and tell him about my problem children and if he can take care of Them I just might load them up and take-em for a little ride. About the same distance as you are from me and maybe I wouldn't be a disgruntled DXer anymore. The guy is recommended by several radio forum guy's so I might throw him some trial bones. A couple road trips might be in order. I'm growing tired of dealing with CB problems and time to Clean House.
I'm asking because I am curious if the human ear will hear the improvement, or the improvement would only be noticed on a mete.
You location is in mother natures tough spot and good luck fighting mother nature.

What is L8 for?

Yeah I have a 2547, What is L8 for ???

Here is a thread about the 86v where someone was just asking about the diodes. There is a link there to the 86v mods thread where I found some information about L8 from someone who knows a Galaxy technician. Basically L8 is the receive can right after a double set of transistors. If it is peaked for Max signal like the manual says, it will be on the noisy side. The tech recommended to turn L8 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise after it is peaked to reduce receiver noise. I have posted the whole text in the thread.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/galaxy-dx86v-receive-diodes.263330/#post-780950

Reactions: whiteastro and NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.