• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

A KL503. I know it draws because as I key up at idle, the idle drops. I guess with the headlights on at idle (stop and go traffic) the alternator doesn’t have enough amps.
Yeah that is your problem. I run that amp for my base station and had to get a hot power supply. The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. OH the price we pay for having fun ! LOL Only meant in a joking way !

A KL503. I know it draws because as I key up at idle, the idle drops. I guess with the headlights on at idle (stop and go traffic) the alternator doesn’t have enough amps.
Alternators don't do full rated power at idle. There are overdrive pulleys available that will help. Or do like the boom truck guys, and put it in neutral and idle it up a bit.

Yeah that is your problem. I run that amp for my base station and had to get a hot power supply. The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. OH the price we pay for having fun ! LOL Only meant in a joking way !
Yes it’s draws pretty good on SSB on level 5 on the 503. I am going to try a big 3 mod and see if it helps. Cheapest option first. My alternator is about 2 years old…still new.

Reactions: walterjn
Alternators don't do full rated power at idle. There are overdrive pulleys available that will help. Or do like the boom truck guys, and put it in neutral and idle it up a bit.
Very true!! I really hadn’t noticed it until a local chimed in. So when I shut off the headlights he said whatever I did fixed the issue. There are aftermarket alternators that will do 110amps at idle but as kinda pricey.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well had a nice short QSO with 409 in South East Texas today with the McKinley, Tram 3000 Ant. & KL-203P. It's continuing to prove it's self so I guess my next experiment will be the

Stryker SR-A10MM antenna​

anybody care to venture how much difference if any I will see ?

If the antennas are the same length there will be little to no difference in performance.
The Stryker ant. is slightly longer than the Tram 3000 but we will have to see how it tunes out. The SWR on the Tram is amazing but if I remember correct the SWR on the Stryker wasn't to shabby either. OH the fun us Old Goats have ! LOL

Reactions: TheRATT
Conditions were bad this morn on SSB. Went to AM and it was cracking!!! Made nice contacts with Alabama and Tennessee stations. Haven’t been on AM in a while and I had a good time!!! They said I was dropping the maul!!

Went back to 38lsb and the Bama stations had a pipeline into SoCal. All of this in less than 20 minutes. Go figure cause it sucked this morning.

It has been pretty quite in central MS the last couple of weekends. I had a couple of stations booming in from southern California earlier this afternoon, but they faded pretty quickly so no contacts made. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Good conditions out of the Pacific this evening. Made several contacts into Australia New Zeland French Polynesia and New Caledonia. South America was also coming in a little earlier. Looks like Europe is opening later in the morning and not as strong as the past few months.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.