• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Here's the awesome setup I have right now in the car. Cheap antenna from Carquest, and an anysecu 10m with the custom seat mount.
Found out tonight that my led lights are noisey , along with the cell phone car charger.
Whoops. Forgot the pictures.
The antennea is laying down so you can see it. Gets lost it the tree background.
View attachment 33737 View attachment 33738
That radio is exactly the same as an Anytone Smart.

Reactions: Rwb
That radio is exactly the same as an Anytone Smart.
Yes, but I didn't have to open it and desolder, resolder that one part to get it to work on 11.
And the mic is detachable.
It works and is not bad, very small. Just to bad almost nobody around me is on, and I haven't been able to talk to anyone yet.

Last edited:
So the 980 does sideband, What is different on it compared to the 880? The 880 doesn't do side band?

Bearcat 980 is about $100~120. Impressive out the box. Stable, 4w dk, good rec. Added a Astatic D104M6B to mine. Pushing a Palomar 450 LD. Pretty good when band is open.

Had some comming in last night, but they were walking awl over each other. Garbled. No contacts, but good to know the rec ain't broke. One did get my call and tried comebacks, but got lost in the rue.

View attachment 33724 The 102" I want to put on my 2001 Ram 3500 dually. It should go on the roof but, 8.5' plus the roof of the truck is at least 6' . thats 14.5' and the bridge I go under is 13'. This might be a problem.

The 102 whip is a good antenna but here's something to consider. Most radiation will be 1/4 wave down from the tip...the base of the antenna. Not a good thing when an antenna is on the bed rail or bumper.

I would do a comparison between the 102 and a shorter antenna on the roof. I use a puck mount and 7 foot skipshooter antenna on the roof of my 2002. Keep an eye on the swr if you do. My 6 ft finally took too many tree limbs and failed. Intermittent rx loss and high swr was the result.

Reactions: Rwb and WECSOG
I would do a comparison between the 102 and a shorter antenna on the roof. I use a puck mount and 7 foot skipshooter antenna on the roof of my 2002. Keep an eye on the swr if you do. My 6 ft finally took too many tree limbs and failed. Intermittent rx loss and high swr was the result

I have mount loc's for duals on my headache rack, each side. Added those when I was thinking of duals. The Skipshooter was the only antenna I would use, but they don't like overhead obstructions. The 102" takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n.

The 102 whip is a good antenna but here's something to consider. Most radiation will be 1/4 wave down from the tip...the base of the antenna. Not a good thing when an antenna is on the bed rail or bumper.

I would do a comparison between the 102 and a shorter antenna on the roof. I use a puck mount and 7 foot skipshooter antenna on the roof of my 2002. Keep an eye on the swr if you do. My 6 ft finally took too many tree limbs and failed. Intermittent rx loss and high swr was the result.
Exactly what I was thinking. A 4' fiberglass whip is more efficient than a lot of people give it credit for, as long as the loading coil is at the top.

Bearcat 980 is about $100~120. Impressive out the box. Stable, 4w dk, good rec. Added a Astatic D104M6B to mine. Pushing a Palomar 450 LD. Pretty good when band is open.

Had some comming in last night, but they were walking awl over each other. Garbled. No contacts, but good to know the rec ain't broke. One did get my call and tried comebacks, but got lost in the rue.
So this would be a good radio to get?
Just dont want to spend lots of money just to hear static.

So this would be a good radio to get?
Just dont want to spend lots of money just to hear static.
Amazon has them. And the Astatic D104M6B. Yes good radio for the price. Have a Ranger 2970N2 still sitting in box because the 980 is doing really well. Until I get new breakover built and new 2 element cubical quad up the 980 will stay as base. Been running it for few months now no problem. Has a neat weather channel I sometimes listen to.

Good coax and antenna is the key. A radio can only perform so good, but having good coax and good antenna is most of it.

Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
Amazon has them. And the Astatic D104M6B. Yes good radio for the price. Have a Ranger 2970N2 still sitting in box because the 980 is doing really well. Until I get new breakover built and new 2 element cubical quad up the 980 will stay as base. Been running it for few months now no problem. Has a neat weather channel I sometimes listen to.

Good coax and antenna is the key. A radio can only perform so good, but having good coax and good antenna is most of it.
Thanks.
Just pulled the trigger and it will be here tomorrow. $113 from Amazon.
I must be crazy. Just dropped my son at college for the afternoon and sat on top of the hill for a few minuites, and nothing but dead silence. Except for the background static.
Will the 980 work with the 102"whip mounted to the top of the house?
Then I can put something more manageable on the truck/car.

20191110_120814.jpg
This is my StarBuster. Have 102" whip with Hustler HD spring. You will need ground planes. Mine are 5% longer than the length of 102" and spring. The spring and a stud mount is required to get to the 108" of 1/4 wave length.
20200126_110514.jpg
These are the stud mounts. One on right is standard issue, one on left has my modified isolator (homebrew).20200126_110036.jpg
This is a large SS washer from a job I was on. It is what I used for base to connect Ground radials to.

Addenda......the ground radials should be 5% longer than 108".

Attachments

• 20191110_120814.jpg
    20191110_120814.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.