• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 CBers canned in one week. $14,000 and $22,000 fines.

M0GVZ

Oct 18, 2011
http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-ups-the-ante-in-proposing-huge-fine-on-cb-operator

Right on the heels of a whopping $14,000 proposed forfeiture for a Florida CBer for failing to allow a station inspection, the FCC Enforcement Bureau is recommending a $22,000 fine for a New York CBer. The FCC issued a Notice of Apparent Liability (NAL) in the case of James Engle of Lewiston, New York, on August 28, alleging that he interfered with the communications of other CBers, operated with an external linear amplifier, operated without authorization, and disregarded earlier FCC warnings.

“Mr Engle was warned repeatedly in writing by the Enforcement Bureau that his actions violated the law, and his apparent disregard for the Commission’s authority warrants an increased penalty,” the FCC said in the NAL.

The FCC said that last October 23, agents from the Commission’s Philadelphia office, responding to a complaint from a CB operator on 27.325 MHz, CB channel 32, tracked the interfering transmissions to Engle’s station and “heard him repeatedly interrupt ongoing transmissions of another CB operator.” The following day, the agents inspected Engle’s CB station and discovered two linear RF amplifiers. The FCC said Engle “admitted that he used one of the power amplifiers” the previous night. Testing showed the unit was capable of putting out nearly 150 W.

The FCC pointed out that while its Part 95 rules do not require individual CB operators to obtain licenses, CBers who operate “in a manner that is inconsistent with the CB rules” are required to have an FCC authorization. “The Commission will presume an individual has used a linear or other external RF power amplifier, if the amplifier is located on the individual’s premises,” the NAL said, “and if there is other evidence showing that a CB station was operated with more power than allowed by the Rules.” FCC rules also prohibit using an external RF amplifier with a FCC-certificated CB transmitter.

Transmitting without FCC authorization merits a base forfeiture of $10,000, the FCC noted, while the base forfeiture for interfering with other communications is $7,000.

“The fact that Mr. Engle operated with a linear amplifier to cause intentional interference to other CB operators despite being warned twice in writing demonstrates a deliberate disregard for the Commission’s requirements and authority,” the FCC, in making an “upward adjustment” of $5,000 in the proposed forfeiture.

Engle has 30 days to pay the fine or file in writing seeking reduction or cancellation of the proposed fine.

The FCC comes to the door. Do you get a discount for letting them in to inspect.? I know people who leave the box on all the time. I run 1 1/2 to 2 watts most of the time so I don't cause trouble' also turn the mic gain down. I can talk most skip with 100 watts on ssb and AM. after a few adjustments. My pet peve is the guy that has everything adjusted and wide open to squeal and echo. You help him adjust it so it sounds good. and the next day same dam thing.

Yea (2) down and about Half a Million to go....Go get them Laura!(y)

" My pet peeve is the guy that has everything adjusted and wide open to squeal and echo. You help him adjust it so it sounds good. and the next day same dam thing."

That's the " I ain't got a thing if I don't have that Swing" attitude...
That's why I have nothing on 11m anymore...used to really enjoy 11m SSB, can't even listen there anymore.
All the Best
Gary

That's the " I ain't got a thing if I don't have that Swing" attitude...
That's why I have nothing on 11m anymore...used to really enjoy 11m SSB, can't even listen there anymore.
All the Best
Gary

this is funny.
you do realize on SSB, if you don't have swing, you don't have a thing no matter which band you're talking on...

Reactions: 543_Dallas
Without starting a big Brew ha-ha with the ham op's we all know amps are illegal but what gets me is 150 watts ? What about the guys on a certain channel using 5k to talk across town ? They bleed over 5 channels shouldn't be hard to find them ! JMO

There are some real anit got a life Dipsticks that like to hide behind the mic. out there, As long as Uncle Chuckie picks on them I'm fine with it. While I never will be his cheer leader ( I got no use for those Gooberment folks) I hate the basemant dwellin Dipsticks worse.

Reactions: binrat
I think in this case asshat antics were probably more intrusive then the 150 watts.

Yep.

Had a local here that got busted a few years ago. All he ever ran was a hacked up Connex 3300. But he was obnoxious, rude, disrespectful, and that radio... ugh, splattered all over the place... had every possible limiter pulled and a swing mod too. Nasty. He was coming across a church's PA system, that's what started it. Then other people started complaining and it snowballed from there. He got all of his stuff pulled and fined $5000.

~Cheers~

I was monitering 27.285 am the other day and skip started rolling in. I was getting co-channeled by some dude on Chanel 6 in New Orleans. He had the worse case of splatter I've ever seen except for back in the early eighties when Happy Feet ran his 7K linear called Maude and was disguised as a file cabinet. He only co-channeled 40 forty Channels or so twenty-five miles away and was heard over the Charlotte-Douglas Airport paging system but man he could tune a Cobra radio with the right amount of echo and sound awesome! Oh,by the way,he semi melted his Sigma 4 talking on it. It just laid down on his roof.

He must have been bleeding onto the neighbors stuff, or he pissed off the wrong radio operator? Either way he was warned, should have taken it down after he was warned IMO. Not worth the fine in the end. Sometimes it pays to walk around to your neighbors if you are friends with them and ask if you are interfering, it's a chance one takes when operating on 11 meters with more than 4 watts am, 12 watts ssb.

Reactions: 357magnum
Back in he hey day of 11 meters there were great clubs. Then the jerks came running dirty Amplifiers splattering channels. That's when I got out of it. Sold radios I wish I still had. I have lately bought several vintage radios in great shape; mostly Cobras, all running 4 watts and using a dipole antenna with a balun. Trouble is no one uses the critters. I talked to a few; but they argued with each other and disappeared. Keep your watts and power mic down and the FCC will not bother you.

Yep keep it clean and don't try to be the big dog in town! I like being the little guy lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?