• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

3Y0J Bouvet Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ radionut

Supporting Member and 6m addict
May 9, 2008
35 miles East of Indianapolis
Update January 26, 2023: They are about 900 miles from Bouvet and expect to arrive in 5 or 6 days.

• The setup consist of up to 12 stations at peak time where 8 K3s radios will be fixed to human modes SSB/CW :LOL::)
    100W on FT8......
  • 1500W on CW/SSB

• We have a pronounced focus on human modes: :ROFLMAO: o_O
  • There will be NO FT8 robots running unattended at Bouvet.

• 10M BAND.....>28400 SSB .... Always give your full callsign.
  • Listening is the key so be sure we call you before replying. 3Y0J will always listen up (using split) so it will be useless to call us on our transmission frequency.

• I like these guys already. Sounds to me like ROBO callers in ANY Mode will be ignored!!!!(y)

thumbnail_fixwidth.php

I think their biggest challenge will be getting on the island.

There were two attempts that failed in 2018 and 2019. Both times the weather near the island damaged the ships.

https://www.bouvetdx.org/
https://bouvetoya.org/3yoi-postponed/

If they can get to the island they will have a climb a 250 ft cliff to set up camp. The 2018 expedition had two helicopters on board.

I agree the pile ups will be immense. The ops are all top notch DXers with lots of DXpedition experience. We will have to be patient and exercise good technique. Good time to have an Extra incense. Likely the early days of the DXpedition will be in the US Extra part of the band to limit the pile ups.

I think my best chance to work them will be on 30m CW or FT8.

Here is the link to the 3Y0J website. https://www.3y0j.no/

Screenshot 2023-01-27 080808.png

I'll be ready for Bouvet!

I just converted my Mosely TA-33 jr beam to a MP-33 NW which swaps the original driven element traps for a higher power version and also adds a high power 12 and 17m element (rotatable dipole only).

I should have went with this antenna first!

I'm also changing the coax with a run of 1/2 inch heliax to get even better performance.

Reactions: wavrider
It runs single GU-78B, ГУ-78Б Svetlana Tetrode.
Mike

Nice. I started an amp a couple years ago that will use a single 3CX3000A7. I got as far as the power supply built which is capable of 4500 volts at 2.0 amps with variacs on both the plate voltage and the filament supply. that is about as far as I got so far. I have all then parts including the tube and socket etc but just never got around to going any further. I REALLY need to correct that problem.

MaramaHD12.jpg

Marama now 780 Nautical miles from Bouvet Island. If they maintain their current speed of 8mph they will arrive at Bouvet in four days' time. 3Y0J.
They are going there on a sailboat, that's awesome! Would be nice to share in their adventure by making contact with them. I have to get back to studying, I am going to make the time to do it.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Update January 29, 2023: Ken estimates Marama should arrive at Bouvet on Monday evening just before sunset. He says he anticipates a good weather window for at least two days then. The team will attempt to move the equipment and supplies onto the island using the zodiac then. They have two zodiacs. They are hoping to accomplish it in those two days. :cool:

Update January 31, 2023: Ken LA7GIA tells Steve N2AJ, “We are anchored off Cape Fie. We have started the preparations for landing. Conditions are difficult, windy and rain. At early afternoon we hope the sea will be better and the wind will turn to the NW. If possible we will go onshore during the short wx window to start setting up the route to the camp. Climbing. Glacier conditions have changed. We can see the seals up on glacier."

Update January 26, 2023: They are about 900 miles from Bouvet and expect to arrive in 5 or 6 days.

• The setup consist of up to 12 stations at peak time where 8 K3s radios will be fixed to human modes SSB/CW :LOL::)
    100W on FT8......
  • 1500W on CW/SSB

• We have a pronounced focus on human modes: :ROFLMAO: o_O
  • There will be NO FT8 robots running unattended at Bouvet.

• 10M BAND.....>28400 SSB .... Always give your full callsign.
  • Listening is the key so be sure we call you before replying. 3Y0J will always listen up (using split) so it will be useless to call us on our transmission frequency.

• I like these guys already. Sounds to me like ROBO callers in ANY Mode will be ignored!!!!(y)

thumbnail_fixwidth.php
It will be a New one for me but I have no doubt that I will work them on 10-20 meters & I don't care about the rest.I have not checked off a New one in quiet a while & I have been stuck at just 286 entities worked.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW
WRMX520

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated