• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5kW Mobile tube or solid-state?

It really is a fun topic, however.

I actually wonder what 32 HGs or DEIs properly biased would do with modest drive and normal voltage. It seems like it would still be a bit short of 5k...and that’s a lot of work to miss your goal :D

Reactions: 357magnum
I'ld either go the 50v or Tube route.
The Tubes give much more bang for the buck. Plus they are extremely forgiving. Wild SWR swings, +- a few thousand volts on the plate...no problem. Just keep the filament voltage rock steady.

For every day talking while driving around an 8 pill is plenty, especially for SSB use. To go 5k like that there is too much that can go wrong and way too much RF energy to be around all the time like that. It's fun to consider and talk about but not very realistic.

Reactions: SuicideRide
In any case, when you’re parked you better fence off that bad boy mobile. You definitely don’t want anybody touching your antenna while you’re transmitting…..Unless you fancy the smell of burning flesh. :eek:

I'ld either go the 50v or Tube route.
The Tubes give much more bang for the buck. Plus they are extremely forgiving. Wild SWR swings, +- a few thousand volts on the plate...no problem. Just keep the filament voltage rock steady.
Too bad 90% of them arrive at the filament voltage through a .1 ohm 300 watt resistor, making it totally impossible to stay within the limits of filament voltage. When the input to that resistor can fluctuate between 12.6 and 14.1 volts, nothing you can do without the addition of regulation can keep you in the proper range.

Too bad 90% of them arrive at the filament voltage through a .1 ohm 300 watt resistor, making it totally impossible to stay within the limits of filament voltage. When the input to that resistor can fluctuate between 12.6 and 14.1 volts, nothing you can do without the addition of regulation can keep you in the proper range.
Separate alternator/regulator is the trick. But yea

Actual milage may vary.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'm inclined to think that either 50V LDMOS or a tube is the way to go and not 12V or volting them higher that 14 for long term reliability and reasonable IMD numbers. Nomad, there is a faily big difference between average and peak power draw and with a brace of decent AGM or Lithiums and a capacitor or three they will I'm sure keep voltage droop to a minimum on speech peaks. Sideband is relatively easy on mobile power supplies as compared to balls to wall class C, over-driven, over volted AM.
So is there just a low voltage primary winding on such a mobile Dahl or is there some black magic in the windings?

Unit 148

Reactions: 2NC995

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.