• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

5kW Mobile tube or solid-state?

I'm inclined to think that either 50V LDMOS or a tube is the way to go and not 12V or volting them higher that 14 for long term reliability and reasonable IMD numbers. Nomad, there is a faily big difference between average and peak power draw and with a brace of decent AGM or Lithiums and a capacitor or three they will I'm sure keep voltage droop to a minimum on speech peaks. Sideband is relatively easy on mobile power supplies as compared to balls to wall class C, over-driven, over volted AM.
So is there just a low voltage primary winding on such a mobile Dahl or is there some black magic in the windings?

Unit 148

Just a 3 phase step up xfmr.

how does a step up transformer work on DC power?

They don't. A transformer on DC is direct short.

"Alternator" literally means alternating current generator. Our car alternators generate 3 phase AC power.

We think of them as DC simply because in auto applications (nowadays) they have built-in rectifiers.

2_250.htm
What I want to know is how does a step up transformer work on DC power? Or is connected to the alternator before the rectifier? In which case, no amount of extra batteries will help.

3 phase

http://www.extremecb.com/2_250.htm

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I currently run an old 8 x Toshiba 2879 mobile amplifier which will be shortly going to a new home.

I would like to step up to the next level in mobile power. Mobile power supply is not a problem as can add alternators and or batteries as required.

I operate mainly on sideband so will use an AB amp.

Would you look at a solid-state or tube amplifier? Either way I would like a high gain unit so I do not have to have boxes driving boxes.

I have up to 100W pep drive and would like a clean 5kW+ pep output

Unit 148
wow $$$$

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.