• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meters is OPEN

6m 3.12.23 map.jpg

Reactions: Rwb
6m Enhancement due to Solar Storm...
10 States worked since 10:30z...(now 12:30z)
Grids of note: :cool: EL99 / EL88 / EM96 /EM89 / EM70 / EM60 /EM56 / EM48 /FM08 / FM07 /FM17 / FN07 /EN70 /EN80 / EN71 AND STILL ACTIVE...
Cluster lite up with SSB/CW this morning:LOL::coffee:
Just recently got my first 6m capable rig and was reading the mail this AM on 50.145USB (albeit on a 10m inverted V, so the Rx was not great). Heard you in there Gary! Saw you on DxMaps also.

A 6m antenna will be up in the near future.

Just recently got my first 6m capable rig and was reading the mail this AM on 50.145USB (albeit on a 10m inverted V, so the Rx was not great). Heard you in there Gary! Saw you on DxMaps also.

A 6m antenna will be up in the near future.

Drop the 10m V and add 6m "legs" on it...I had a 6m rotatable dipole up @45ft for over a year...had a BLAST!
Glad to know I was being heard, look forward to working you!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Drop the 10m V and add 6m "legs" on it...I had a 6m rotatable dipole up @45ft for over a year...had a BLAST!
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
I just saw this . 1pm in Arizona. Nothing on 50.145 usb so far

All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
Ok, I have 6m horizontal "legs" added on above my 10m "V".
20230506_163621.jpg20230506_163746.jpg
Looks OK for today, will be tuning the 6m legs a little more.
I know the band is closed but I called anyway hoping to snag a local, no dice. Maybe it'll open up again tomorrow morning.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Looks OK for today, will be tuning the 6m legs a little more.
Work to get the best resonance about 50.150...should be good enuf.... Height for Eship and scatter works best from about 35 to 60 ft....with the "sweet" spot for most seems to be 45-60ft. The op's running at 60-80ft do better for Ground wave(300-400m range) than I. I'm at about 45ft. I can at times out "Hear" many in the 600-800m range. After that it's a crap shot...sometimes I am better, other times others are. That's why they call it "The Magic Band." I have worked attic dipole antennas/Hamstick verticals o_O mobiles, Moxons @ 20ft...even an op in Calgary with a Tarhel bolted to balcony railing 10 stories up in his apartment building. I think, presently I have 46 countries, and somewhere around 140+ Grids Confirmed...more worked but about right on confirmed.
Looking good...Hear you soon.:cool:(y)
Gary/W9FNB/EM79

Work to get the best resonance about 50.150...should be good enuf.... Height for Eship and scatter works best from about 35 to 60 ft....with the "sweet" spot for most seems to be 45-60ft. The op's running at 60-80ft do better for Ground wave(300-400m range) than I. I'm at about 45ft. I can at times out "Hear" many in the 600-800m range. After that it's a crap shot...sometimes I am better, other times others are. That's why they call it "The Magic Band." I have worked attic dipole antennas/Hamstick verticals o_O mobiles, Moxons @ 20ft...even an op in Calgary with a Tarhel bolted to balcony railing 10 stories up in his apartment building. I think, presently I have 46 countries, and somewhere around 140+ Grids Confirmed...more worked but about right on confirmed.
Looking good...Hear you soon.:cool:(y)
Gary/W9FNB/EM79
18' to the feedpoint will have to do, that's the most I can manage. Beats nuthin.
Thanks for your suggestions Gary. I need a 6m Homer. Hope to log your call.
73. 20230506_175354.jpg

Reactions: BJ radionut
Evan...Good Deal ...you're going to have a blast with that antenna! The band is just going to keep improving. May is when it really starts to turn around.....June/July/Aug are peak 6m Eskip timetable. I will suggest this....Chop all the "lows" and jump Mids/Highs...squeeze the bandwidth on TX to no more than 2.6kc wide...You want noise piecing audio! Rag chew 10m audio won't cut it...When the band is really open you can "tone" it down a little. You can use an old analog scanner to keep track of the band. 52.525 FM is the 6m SIMPLEX calling frequency.

W8WAM/Robin (Hamilton, OH) is a lifelong friend. 50.145 or 50.125 is where we work most times. Listen for him. K8TQK/Bob is over your way also. KK4ZDR/Booker is Bardstown, KY... KK4ZLD/Don is in Louisville, KY...W9DR/David is nr Lexington, KY
We will hook-up soon, looking forward to it.
All the Best
Gary

53.3300 MHz Tone 123.0Highland HeightsCampbellAD4CCOPEN

Evan...Good Deal ...you're going to have a blast with that antenna! The band is just going to keep improving. May is when it really starts to turn around.....June/July/Aug are peak 6m Eskip timetable. I will suggest this....Chop all the "lows" and jump Mids/Highs...squeeze the bandwidth on TX to no more than 2.6kc wide...You want noise piecing audio! Rag chew 10m audio won't cut it...When the band is really open you can "tone" it down a little. You can use an old analog scanner to keep track of the band. 52.525 FM is the 6m SIMPLEX calling frequency.

W8WAM/Robin (Hamilton, OH) is a lifelong friend. 50.145 or 50.125 is where we work most times. Listen for him. K8TQK/Bob is over your way also. KK4ZDR/Booker is Bardstown, KY... KK4ZLD/Don is in Louisville, KY...W9DR/David is nr Lexington, KY
We will hook-up soon, looking forward to it.
All the Best
Gary

53.3300MHzTone 123.0Highland HeightsCampbellAD4CCOPEN
Great info Gary, thank you. Tells me I have a lot to learn, including how to use this radio. But that's why I got it. With your help I'm sure I'll get there.
73 sir

Evan: Being a "newbie" is no sin...as long as you wish to learn. I have only been on 6m... maybe 10 years....and Amateur since 1978 and STILL learning. Some op's, (see it here) always seem to focus on what they believe is the negatives of Amateur Radio. Well, they generate their OWN Negatives, then they never see past those issues! I have had more hobbies than I can count in my almost 70 years...guess what? 45+ years later Still in Amateur Radio...the rest are over and gone...Still having fun!!!

10m Antenna is great...Don't mess with it
Not a chance of that, it works just fine as is. Considering my situation it has done quite well on 100w as my QRZ log shows.

Here's what the analyzer showed yesterday:

20230506_163746.jpg20230506_163724.jpg
I'm sure I can improve those numbers.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?