• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

6 Meters is OPEN

Mobile,100 to 150 miles common (good condx)...
I have worked from around INDY to S. of Lexington, KY...to Dayton, Oh...nr. Cincinatti, Oh. ...Danville, IL from East of Indy etc.
One Note: a simple 5/8th's wave 2-meter mobile antenna, will tune as a quarter wave

How would it compare to 10/11 meter? It should be less than what we get out of 11 right?

How would it compare to 10/11 meter? It should be less than what we get out of 11 right?
Not necessarily...6m yes can propagate much like 10m or can be totally different. D-layer propagation can be open on 6m and not 10m....I have seen longer openings on 2-meter SSB TROPO and 6m dead... Vastly different propagation at times, when speaking VHF/UHF vs. HF.
List below is the other day, Howard-W4HLR is near Menphis, TN. (about 250m from me)
SA 6m 10.29.22.png

Another op ... 60 miles North of me worked like 10-12 / S. Am. stations during same opening. I missed it!!!!! :mad:

LU=Argentina ... CX=Uruguay

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Just started hearing FL and SE via ES....
Worked a friend from 75m...
W4DRA/Dave he was using his 75m dipole and 70 watts:D
I've got some bad transformer noise or something maybe farm equipment?
Anyway listening
50.125...see how the band goes here today....
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB...EM79
I never hear anyone on 6. I even check ft8. Nada

Reactions: Rwb
As exciting as cw. I listen for the ft8 to see when the band is open. Unfortunately all the Hams these days do ft8 more than any other mode. Ft8 is a good propagation tool.
Just because a signal can be passed between two computers at 20db below the noise floor has Zero Bearing on if a SSB Signal will do the same. Two different animals entirely so how is it a good propagation tool? That's like comparing watermelons to cherry tomatoes.

Just because a signal can be passed between two computers at 20db below the noise floor has Zero Bearing on if a SSB Signal will do the same. Two different animals entirely so how is it a good propagation tool? That's like comparing watermelons to cherry tomatoes.
It's still a good prop tool. If the band isn't open ft8 won't work. Nobody is asking you to embrace it. And contrary to popular belief it's not a low power mode either.
I listen for it to see if the bands are open.
If you don't hear ft8 on 6m you don't have a fart in the dark making a phone contact. And if the band is open you will hear ft8 before you hear anything else.
Really I don't care. I just talk on 80m with 1500w every night and rag chew. I'm not interested in people who can't hardly copy each other and struggle to get the call sign and then promptly exchange 59 reports. I'm not interested in busting pile ups keying up ontop of people intentionally and working rare dx. And I sure as hell don't want to listen to cw. It gives me a headache. But I don't tell other people what's right or wrong or what they should do. I'll leave it to the leftist mind set people that are all so common everywhere.

• Wow
It's still a good prop tool. If the band isn't open ft8 won't work. Nobody is asking you to embrace it. And contrary to popular belief it's not a low power mode either.
I listen for it to see if the bands are open.
If you don't hear ft8 on 6m you don't have a fart in the dark making a phone contact. And if the band is open you will hear ft8 before you hear anything else.
Really I don't care. I just talk on 80m with 1500w every night and rag chew. I'm not interested in people who can't hardly copy each other and struggle to get the call sign and then promptly exchange 59 reports. I'm not interested in busting pile ups keying up ontop of people intentionally and working rare dx. And I sure as hell don't want to listen to cw. It gives me a headache. But I don't tell other people what's right or wrong or what they should do. I'll leave it to the leftist mind set people that are all so common everywhere.
I only do Phone on Any Band & I have less than Zero interest in CW or any digital mode that does not require a microphone. I do chase DX & it's pretty much my Favorite thing. I passed the CW Test with 45 straight characters but it gives me a killer headache as well. I never intended to actually use CW but I did not want the government giving me the upgrade so I did it the old fashioned way & Earned the license upgrade. I could have waited a month or so & got it without the code but it was a Bucket List thing for me. I will never hear FT8 on any band because I stay away from that part of the band on purpose. It's like listening to CW I could care less. I see Zero excitement in having my computer make any contacts & for sure when I'm not in the shack or even at home like so many are doing these days. For me it's Phone or not at all & it always will be & DX or a New Country or Grid Square pretty much. I run around 1200 watts on HF & I am usually on 10-20 meters unless 6 meters is open then I'll be there with about a Kilowatt because I hate repeating myself & I can.

I only do Phone on Any Band & I have less than Zero interest in CW or any digital mode that does not require a microphone. I do chase DX & it's pretty much my Favorite thing. I passed the CW Test with 45 straight characters but it gives me a killer headache as well. I never intended to actually use CW but I did not want the government giving me the upgrade so I did it the old fashioned way & Earned the license upgrade. I could have waited a month or so & got it without the code but it was a Bucket List thing for me. I will never hear FT8 on any band because I stay away from that part of the band on purpose. It's like listening to CW I could care less. I see Zero excitement in having my computer make any contacts & for sure when I'm not in the shack or even at home like so many are doing these days. For me it's Phone or not at all & it always will be & DX or a New Country or Grid Square pretty much. I run around 1200 watts on HF & I am usually on 10-20 meters unless 6 meters is open then I'll be there with about a Kilowatt because I hate repeating myself & I can.
Yep I get that. I mostly tinker with radios and antennas. Used to go do the portable and mountain top stuff alot . I've made some pretty good 2m ssb contacts but 6m has always eluded me.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
Yep I get that. I mostly tinker with radios and antennas. Used to go do the portable and mountain top stuff alot . I've made some pretty good 2m ssb contacts but 6m has always eluded me.
6 meters is my Favorite Band & it has always been. I Love DX Chasing but I just need Alaska on 6 meters for WAS & I don't collect any awards it's just for my records. I have 49 states confirmed & many countries including many ZL's & Yes a JA all on phone. It's truly a Magic Band when conditions are good & it's been quiet a while since they were even OK much less Good. It's a band that takes a lot of patience & most people don't have those these days I think. I have Alaska on every HF Band except 30 meters & I will never have that since I don't do Digital or CW. If I get Alaska on 6 meters before I'm a SK that will be great but it's not Life or Death it's just Radio. I also do some QRP portable stuff with my ICOM 703 PLUS but I don't do POTA's just portable stuff. I think the POTA Stuff is getting out of hand with so many out there doing it. I hear them giving a Park Number & they never even mention what state they are in? I'm not going to go look it up but I think it should be part of the exchange myself. Headed out to the mobile to run some errands. 73 & God Bless from Florida

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated