• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

980 SSB + Roger Beep

I need to move away from this " Beep " thing , but 575 here we go What is " Courtesy to you is annoying to some of us radio operators . I know when I'm done talking & so do the op's I'm chatting with . My hand is off a mic or my foot is off a peddle , when I'm done chatting people know . Sorry I mean no disrespect but when you compare radio operation to " Zello " or another Pc function . Well to myself ... " It Ain't the same " ! But please don't say " Beep's " are a courtesy . Let it fly guys I got big shoulders , been sick a few days , I'm in a mood .:LOL: & well this is " MY Opinion " . 73 & God Bless , Leo

Reactions: 575 and SIX-SHOOTER
River , Whole different Ball Game , I consider Browning's a pleasure to listen to ! I might have to eat a little crow ! My good friend from grade school , a ham op , chat's on 11m frequently . When I call him , I ask for a break & just say " Ping " ! I don't consider a Browning Eagle a Beep radio . Whole Different Ball Game & you know that . I leave with ... " PING " !:whistle::)

River , Whole different Ball Game , I consider Browning's a pleasure to listen to ! I might have to eat a little crow ! My good friend from grade school , a ham op , chat's on 11m frequently . When I call him , I ask for a break & just say " Ping " ! I don't consider a Browning Eagle a Beep radio . Whole Different Ball Game & you know that . I leave with ... " PING " !:whistle::)

With my stock banana mic it was a squeal. When I changed to an amplified D104 it became a ping. Preferred the ping. (y)

Reactions: 357magnum and RT431
Ok. I’m not a beep fan but I do have people I like to annoy, it’s the child in me, I haven’t grown up yet. And considering I’m nearing 50, I’ll never grow up.

It looks like it piggybacks if you just look at the directions you posted. But that may just be a representation of which wires it needs to hook to, once you get it then it should be a bit more in depth. But if not...

First, double and triple check the pins, a voltmeter will help you find that voltage pin, stay away from it. Then you can try first to piggyback it. If that doesn’t work then move to disconnecting wires that go from that mic PCB to the main PCB and connect them one at a time to that board. Then run the wires to the main PCB, put the beeper between the mic board and main board. But it really looks like it piggybacks, there was an echo board that did that, haven’t seen one in awhile. If it’s like a lot of echo boards then you’ll need a small capacitor on the ground wire. Hook the power to the switch that turns the radio on/off.

It should be helpful in getting you an end of transmission beep, it should also be helpful in pestering people (for me).

Reactions: 357magnum and 575
Thinking about installing the following board. I have never installed anything on/inside a cb before. I have installed car stereos and amps, so I'm ok with wiring as long as I have instructions. As you know the 980 is a 6 pin, but I am using the adapter to connect a Ranger SRA 198. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have found the following pin layout on another forum, if someone could confirm:

PIN COLOR FUNCTION
1: Yellow Audio HOT
2: BLACK RX switching
3: RED TX switching
4: N/C
5: SHIELD
6: 7.8VDC (as-found on this pig-rig) phantom power for power mic*

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283503543799

575 in Dallas

Why would anyone want a Roger Beep or any Noise Toy in a radio on a band that is overloaded with excessive noise already? What happened to just having great transmit audio without all of the garbage? The people who invented noise toys should have been hung in public for everyone to see so they did not make the same Stupid Mistake.The Children's Band is pathetic enough without any more noises that are not Human Voices! Just a reminder,CB Radio was designed for COMMUNICATIONS & NOT making unneeded Noises on the air.I remember how much better it was in the 60's & 70's long before this Crap started & people actually had conversations & it was so Nice.Grownups acted like grownups & children acted like children & it was a great way for people to actually communicate locally or across the country since back then the band was open a lot even all night long for months at the time & it was not a contest to see who could cover who up.

SIX-SHOOTER

The Browning Ping/Squeal was by Accident not on purpose.It is now and has always been a Signature of a Legendary Transceiver & a Status symbol by many.Love my Golden Eagle MK IVA with the medium Ping/Squeal but I have less than Zero use for a Roger Beep or any Noise Toy.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: 357magnum
Thanks chop.

As for you other clowns, I used to be a member of a motorcycle forum, so I have thick skin. I can roll with the haters. Like with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you do to your radio may or may not be what I like.

73 everyone

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
:whistle::rolleyes:I find the Roger beep necessary when the signals are weak and fading in and out. Especially in a noisy mobile environment. In fact sometimes all you can hear is the beep so you know to tell them to bring it back again. I don't use it all the time but it does have its place.

The key up squeal or ping is annoying when it is 4 times louder than the modulation and you have to go deaf while waiting to hear the message.

Reactions: RT431
Six Shooter , I either read or was told by a Browning owner just recently that the Browning Ping/Squeal was a mistake & I cut my teeth w/ people that had them back in the early 70's & never knew it .:whistle: 575 , in my comment I added " No Disrespect " Some on here are a little more " Brash " than myself but name calling on this forum will get you No Where & Fast ! Just a friendly bit of advice , I didn't like some of the comments I got on here when I joined 5 years ago , but I dealt w/ it because the knowledge & advice you get here is Far Superior than most forums . Not trying to start a key board war here & get this thread shut down , just some advice , take it for what it is . 73 & God Bless , Leo

Reactions: RT431
Ok. I’m not a beep fan but I do have people I like to annoy, it’s the child in me, I haven’t grown up yet. And considering I’m nearing 50, I’ll never grow up.

Put as many of the 5 tone roger beep boards as you want in series. I know a guy that had an annoying keyup toy then a 15 tone beep that was tuned to be as annoying as possible.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.