• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A FEW QUESTIONS ON OLDER SSB BASE

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
I know little about operating a ssb base. I'm still looking for a president Madison that won't break the bank. Question 1. What is the advantage of having an unlocked clarifier? 2. If I don't find the Madison I want, what other base stations are nice talking/ reciving radios of the Madison era? 3. What are the most desirable chips? I've been reading on WWDX that a few radio shack ssb radios are very nice ssb stations. I think Thay were the 490 and two others, I don't recall the model numbers of the other two yet I noticed these TRC models are readily available on eBay. A few for auction now are nos or very nice used TRC's. I found a nice president Madison but don't want to spend $500. Although I'm beginning to Concider it being that it's an extremely nice original boxed radio. I also been looking at a stalker Vl or maybe it's a lV. I can't remember. Any other sugestions. I'm open to all you ssb base radios that are forty channel radios with easily modified chips. As if it's not already offered with extra channels I would like to have it moded with extra channels. I noticed most of the afourmentioned radios have been peaked. I need to use my 500 elite amp with the one I will be purchasing. I'm in a raural area using a vertical wire dipole for local qsl. 5 watts aren't cutting it with most locals not so local. I'm hoping to get a radio that hasn't been peaked. I'm currently running the 500 elite with a Sonar fs 2340 that's keying at 2-1/2 swinging to six. Does anyone know the safe max input to this amp without frying it?

A lot of questions in one thread!!!!

I will make it simple.

Improve your antenna system.

As far as radio SSB, Yes the Madisons are nice, and old, may need re capped and if your not technical inclined may get expensive to maintain as any older radio may be.

Suggestions?? Galaxy DX version of radio, pick your poison, do your research and see what you find. If you like real SSB then look at a used ham rig that has been modified for general coverage and transmit.

As far as your amplifier I am not familiar with it so can not reccomend drive etc etc

The PLL chips 8719 or 858 chassis

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Not that much difference with a Madison and an old Cobra 148GTL; their schematics are practically identical. Basically the same radio in a different outside package. Get one that has the 5 pin mic plug mounted on the side of the radio and DO NOT buy the newer 148GTL; they are very problem prone.

Of course you will need to also buy a small power supply to use it, so get a 5 amp power supply.

mqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Question 1. What is the advantage of having an unlocked clarifier?

A "locked" clarifier varies the receive frequency only; your transmit frequency remains locked and does not vary.

An "unlocked" clarifier, therefore, varies your transmit frequency (and recieve frequency) to match the frequency of the station you're talking to.

It is helpful on SSB, not necessarily on AM. The advantage is, especially if you have more than one station in the conversation, that everyone (who has unlocked clarifiers) can be on the same frequency, and no adjustment of the clarifier is necessary to tune in each individual station.

I think it's cool that you're looking for an older rig. They're neat on a number of levels. However, if I may make a recommendation, consider a newer CB radio: Galaxy DX 2547. With its built-in frequency counter and other handy features, it's really a good choice, IMHO. I have one. It's an excellent CB rig.

I like the Galaxy 2547 also it was my second choice I found a Cobra 2000 that I really wanted on Ebay but they are a little pricey depending whats done to them , mine had every thing I wanted done to it already but if you buy from Ebay I'm sure you know it's always No returns but if you send the seller emails asking about the radio an they catch the seller in a lie it will help you get out of the deal in case it's not describe properly . I had this happen before an got my money back . Just my 2 cents !

Stellasarat -

After looking at the things you want in a radio, I would recommend the Cobra 148GTL-DX/ Superstar 360FM . Stock, it has 120 channels from 26.515 - 27.815, and can be easily expanded to operate from 25 to almost 29 mhz. AM/FM/SSB/CW, and unlocked clarifier. It has a single transistor (5Watt) final which will match up well with your 500 Elite amp. Most importantly, it was built by UNIDEN, and has drift-free performance and QUALITY all the way.

IMO, the Mk II model (PB-010 board) is the way to go because of the increased PLL expandability, and the fact that 2 resistors and a switch will allow it change channels in 5kc rather than 10kc steps. Also, this thread http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...x-ss360fm-pb010ab-wider-audio-mods-tx-rx.html has some nice audio mods for these rigs.

The downside is that these radios can be hard to find, because most won't part with them. I bought a really clean 360FM from a forum member for 100 bucks about a year ago. Typically they go for around $150, which is a bargain considering that you don't have to pay to get extra channels, unlocked clarifier, etc.

Because this is mobile radio, you will need a good 5 amp supply to power it. However, if you must have a base radio, then the Madison is as good a choice as any. 73s.

Last edited:
which madison is better is debatable. that they're all good radios isn't, because they are.
I bought the earliest model, unmodified, and it got great reports for the two hours that the capacitors lasted.
if you don't buy Klondike Mike's radio, he's where I got the replacement capacitors from.

Wow, guys, y'all have some pretty fine looking Madisons there.

Hmmm... why is it I suddenly feel the urge to get rid of my DX 2547 and replace it with something from yesteryear? Nostalgia rocks.

My Madison looks decent, but that one of Klondike Mike's is AMAZING. Here's mine.

IMG_20140417_191055_316_zps1e4a154d.jpg

~Cheers~

I certainly wouldn't throw rocks at yours! Both yours and Klondike Mike's rigs look great.

I saw an old analog clock Madison unit today at Kilgore's Electronics in Mansfield, TX. Purty sweet with channels, Mosfet conversion, unlocked clarifier.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.