• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Ham I Am

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/bro/yaesu/ftdx3000d.pdf
ftdx3000d.jpg

How does the 1200 compare?
The 1200 is a FINE radio...However by the time you add the option to make the scope real time...your only few hundred less than the 3000.
I have had one for going on 5 years now...and might here soon buy a second.
I own an Yaesu FT-950...damn good rig!...FT-920...another good one...IC-9100 pretty good/most certainly VHF-UHF...and another Icom rig(wonder whr that came from TU!)
But the FTdx3000D HF/6m receiver BEATS them all Hands down! IMHO
And at the price break presently MHO it is the BEST out there!
I chat with an Op from VA many mornings on 75m...He owns a IC-7300...FT-991A...likes both says he prefers the FT-991A of those Two...Though he says the scope is nicer on the IC-7300..He prefers the audio quality of the FT-991A and thinks it is more selective on receive.
After chatting with me he purchased the FTdx3000D...He LOVES it by comparison to either.
The DSP/Noise reduction + Contour tuning circuits make it far superior to the others he owns.
I agree!
All the Best Jim
Gary

Forget the catfish compromise...Remember, you can always tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish..:rolleyes:...Plagiarised from REO

Forget the catfish compromise...Remember, you can always tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish..:rolleyes:...Plagiarised from REO

:ROFLMAO:
Right you are!
However, my pathway is led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow. (borrowed from Bob)

Take a look at the Kenwood TS-590SG. It may not have the prettiest face or all the eye candy but it has one of the finest receivers in it's price range and Sherwood engineering shows it has one of the cleanest transmit signal next to the Elecraft K3.

If you need eye candy and you have a computer in your shack, Kenwood comes with free rig control software (Icom charges $99 and Yaesu has none). Plus for $150, you can easily add the SDRPlay and have a full LCD screen size pan-adapter with mouse clickable waterfall frequency/signal changing with just a USB cable and SMA to RCA adapter cable.

The Kenwood TS-590SG sells for just under $1400 new right now and I have seen used for under a grand.

Here is a screen shot of my 590SG's rig control software running with the free SDRUno pan-adapter software via SDRPlay RSP2.

4894-1496548835-32dc9630f54dc5915ff4b97d9d422ce5.jpg

Or run the SDRUno software by itself which has plenty of rig control functions.

4895-1496548940-fa07d4484d3474a3c57d3617edfa7607.jpg

The SDRPlay is nothing more than this simple box which connects to the 590SG's RX jack so you still use your radio and existing antenna(s). This RSP2 model has another lowZ and 1 highZ input for another radio/antenna. I have my Icom 7000's VHF/UHF going thru the other SDRPlay antenna port so I can see all that spectrum and beyond. NEAT!!!
Ode%2Bto%2B%2BRSP2%2Bopen.jpg

I like to run Ham radio deluxe for logging, the Kenwood rig control software for rig control, and just use the waterfall portion of the SDR software to see the whole band. This gives me all the eye candy and techno-geek stuff which is far more versatile than a fancy radio with fancy "LITTLE" LCD screen!

4896-1496549046-a8b673990d04b1d65d421f5548d62d6f.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackcat630
Take a look at the Kenwood TS-590SG.

I'm very familiar with it, FSB.
Have read a ton of reviews and watched a lot of videos. It is definitely in the mix.
Have made several contacts with people using one and they always sound great.
How well do you rate the noise reduction?

How well do you rate the noise reduction?
I like it better than my Icom. The Kenwood has 2 selectable NR's. NR1 is for typically used for voice modes. NR2 is a narrower passband and is suited for CW and digital modes.

Any NR will sound watery when adjusted to it's full level but I think the Kenwood works best around a 1/3 of the way up.

It also has to NB's (noise blankers) which are both fully adjustable and now can be used simultaneously. This seems to just about rid the noise on 40m that was coming thru from some dirty interference in my neighborhood by using both NB's together.

Reactions: Riverman
Drove myself crazy last night looking at radios and reading manuals. IC-7300, Yaesu 3000and 1200, Yaesu 991A, and Kenwood TS-590SG. Took a step back and owned up to the fact that I really do like my IC-7200. It receives great; the NB, Notch Filter, and Pass Band turning all work really well, and the NR is terrific. Is the look outdated? Yep. Wish it had a larger, colorful display and more bells and whistles but it doesn't. It's mean and potatoes, not beef stroganoff. And the meat and potatoes talks to South America just fine.

That said, I still want a fancy ICOM or Yaesu, or the elegant Kenwood. And one of these days I'll pull the trigger and get one.

In the meantime, the only shortcoming I've found with the 7200 is the Made in China HM-36 mic. There's a lot on the net about modifications for it to give it more punch, and I agree it needs some. I have to run my Mic Gain at 100% and talk close and louldly just to reach the halfway mark on the ALC meter with no compression. Everyone says it sounds fine, but for the heck of it I just ordered an HM-219 (comes stock with the 7300) to replace it. Should be here tomorrow and I'll see what it does. In the meantime, back to ogling. :D

Last edited:
Congrats on the upgrade! I knew you would not just settle for tech.
A lot of study went into getting there. Just out of curiosity how many did you miss?
What's your call sign now?

Hey Riverman, Aim high and tell her you want both radios plus a new computer to control them with. If you don't get hit with a rolling pin you might have a chance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.