• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A Palomar 300A in distress

Looks so clean and nice awesome job, mines it’s not bad is pretty clean. I have the card for the relays I can take it out is different. But if he can help me with this issue and also where I can buy those ceramic capacitors, I ordered mines from mouser.com but I like that ones better. Anything you guys can share could be helpful for us, this are old equipments and we want to keep them nice and clean!

thanks a lot!

Reactions: Tokin
Mine isnt the low $$$ unit. I got lucky and found an unmolested unit with its original foam container and paperwork for $300. I didnt have the heart to haggle with a widow and it was so clean I just paid the price. Between shipping, parts and labor I have another $300 in it and I always over pay on labor and no cheap parts. My appreciation for folks who do this runs deep. I wish I had half the skills you folks do. Thank you!

Here are a couple before pics.
20191230_135958.jpg
20191230_135835.jpg

Reactions: trapper267
I'm going to fix the other one the one I sold had repairs made with duct tape wires were all mixed up I fixed all that found a cherry one for 100.00 I bought it the relay board needed fixed on the old one too I decided to cut my losses on the old one and put my resources in the cherry all caps tested good in it a tube was cracked is all I could find wrong it looked new

Reactions: Tokin
I have to thank Dmans for this thread. It sure inspired me to get my 300a's their 40 year tune up. Its also a great guide to what these amps need for a proper refurb.
No use messing with a basket case since theres too many nice ones still out there. I cant seem to find the nice $100 units but im ok with it. The next time theyre sold ill be dead lol. I have 2, one black face version and one white face version with a black face. The relays in the black face units are obsolete and the alleged drop in replacements being sold im told suck too so be nice to them and find a couple of good part units. I have one I stripped for parts that I hopefully will never need.

Reactions: trapper267
Dmans said in the rebuild of his 300A he used RG313. I have RG178 & RG316, but can not find RG313. I was wondering if that was a misprint? I can not find any thing on RG313. 238

I hope your 300A is working ok. You did a great job on that amp. I have run one before an it did a great job. 238

Damn, problems you outlined mine is experiencing. Fuzzy sounding, seemingly pushing too much power 8/900w (i was in disbelief and blaming the meter). Great thread, I'll certainly be referencing it as I step through this one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.