• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base A99 vs Gain Master vertical

Titan7

Aug 27, 2018
Southern California
looking for a base antenna that’s gonna be mounted pretty low, as in 10’ above the ground. Thoughts on both of these? It’s only for my old SBE Console II CB, running barefoot. Not an optimal height but I am only on 11 meters for local talk every one in a while. I may put this on a fold over set up or tripod. Still thinking about this.

Many people Hate the Antron 99 but I like many have worked the world with mine at just 30 feet. I use it on 10,11,12,15,& 17 meters & it works great. It was FREE a local friend so I am not complaining. I had an A/S M400 Starduster as a kid in the 1970's & it kicked my Super Scanner's butt every single time local or DX. People swear they are junk as well but somebody forgot to tell mine that. LOL If you are not a serious long distance signal chaser I would go with the Antron 99 but if you want a little more gain go with the Gain Master. It's only money & you can't take any with you when you leave here so spend it & piss off the kids. LOL

SIX-SHOOTER

No complaints on my A-99 @ 48' . I also have worked the world w/ mine on 11m . Wx here in the North East can be dicey . It's been on the ground , put it back up & it keeps on chugging . Last week I chatted down south & out west barefoot on my Cobra 2K . Just try not to adjust those rings on 11m , some have had a hard time as of late . Never touched mine .:)

A99 works great for me. In last 6 months alone it has survived the inland aftermath of two hurricanes with wind gusting 80+ mph, two significant ice storms, and a couple of hefty snow falls. I attribute a lot of that to it just being a tall skinny stick. (y)

More ice forecasted for tomorrow morning.

I've used the A99 for yrs and it served me well. Currently using the Imax 2K @ 25' and it works well. Never used a GM but have heard good things about them.

Reactions: 357magnum
While there won't be a huge difference in signal between these two antennas, there is be a huge difference in the amount of interference or RFI either one can generate. The only thing I've seen better at reducing RFI is a dummy load and the Gainmaster has a much stronger signal than my dummy load.

Reactions: 357magnum
That antenna has to be incredibly lossy to work in that range. Can I assume you are using a tuner?

Yes I am using it with an MFJ 929 tuner on 12 & 15 meters but not on 10,11, & 17 meters. The SWR is actually as good on 17 meters as on 10 & 11 for some odd reason. Even on the MFJ 259B antenna Analyzer so it's not just fooling my SWR meter & the ICOM 746 either. It is 1.4.1 on 50.400 but it SUCKS there on transmit & receive but it does work just not well. For HF I think it works best on 17 meters which is a great band for DX & it works it well.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.