• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base A99 vs Gain Master vertical

I like my early A 99.when it needs it im spraying a fiberglass seaaler on it n using it as long again as it is old now. Stands up to wind too

Reactions: 357magnum
Being 10’ off the ground Is low but also what are your surroundings like if you are in a low area and surrounded by hills geographically you may wanna go with the A99 the high radiation take off angle will work for your advantage get you up and over sooner.

I am on a hill in suburbia Orange County CA. Yes RFI is something I would like to avoid if possible. Just for reference I was using one of the Firestik indoor base antennas sitting on my concrete pool deck and could get good reports for about 10-15 miles. I would use it but it’s not really weather proof and I just figured the a99 or gain master

If you are sitting up on a hill that is a plus already.
I have not used the gain master but I have used the a 99.
It worked well for me with minimum effort. We really did just screw it together and push it up 20 feet above the house and started talking on it.
I used it for years with no maintenance I also installed one for my uncle his is 20 feet off the ground on 2 sections of tv mast and has been there well over 10 years with out being touched. Both were the Solarcon brand. I have no idea who makes them now.
Jeff

Reactions: Rwb
Yes my A 99 is about 15 feet above ground,i get out real well. Im sure there are better antennas but to me an A 99 is a best buy and the rings make it easy to set the swr too.

Reactions: 357magnum
I re-coated mine the last time it hit the dirt .:LOL: Put it back up , all my readings were fine . I did put Loctite on the threads because w/ the wind & all the " Whipping " around it does the sections came un-screwed . Elevation is also working for me because I sit on a hill @ 800 above sea level w/ good exposure N, S & E but the hill behind me is my nemesis .:LOL:

Is RFI an issue with one vs the other?
Yes, there is a major reduction in RFI with the Gain-Master when compared to other end fed verticals. Because, it's not an end fed vertical and uses an isolation choke at the base to form a balanced antenna. This is more effective at reducing RFI and CMC down the outside of the coax than decoupling radials since radials "bleed" an existing CMC off while the choke in the Gain-Master prevents the Common Mode Current from being generated in the first place. One is a treatment for the symptom where the other removes the cause of the symptom. If you have RFI, this is the biggest advantage of the GM. You may see a little better signal but the reduction in RFI is very easy to spot.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated