• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice, thoughts, needed on my impending roof tripod install

Another thing added to my list , but I like these results ! Neighbor has & old F-4 Farmall he rebuilt , he got the magneto back from the shop , tractor won't start . He said get it started for me you can use my all wheel drive Bucket Truck for the day ( Goes up 65' ) to do your antenna ! I'm in ! That tail gate might have wait !!:whistle:;):eek::D

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Sweet!

I have a buddy that owns a sign company. He has several trucks with two man buckets and a crane that allows a single man bucket. Best part, the trucks are two streets over. He'll probably do it for free or little money. I just hate to ask him. I did install a nice stereo for him in high school, so I suppose he owes me. If my service drop wasn't in the way, I'd have rented a small trailer pulled bucket years ago. I hate doing anything permanently expensive here. I'm still waiting to get out in the country. We're experiencing a stupid high local real estate market right now. Everything is crazy high. Waiting for it to end. I ain't paying those high prices.

I'm thinking this will be the final tweak. I cut 3 foot from the the 10' mast. The tripod is 5' tall. The bottom the the vertical elements are over 7 feet above ground.

Just need to orient the antenna with rotor, attach and weatherproof my dual feedline jumpers of LMR-240 and do a final tune check. I like BJ Radionuts idea of detaching coax and lifting the mast and antenna out together. I'm thinking I can make up a couple of other antennas mounted on a mast and swap them out at my leisure. I like that idea.

This configuration seems like it will be sturdy enough. I swapped the Yaesu rotor for a lighter TV rotor to reduce weight stress. Boxed it up for later.

Anyways, isn't it somewhat glorious? If this setup performs good, might spring for a 2 meter amp.
IMG_20190810_172100844_HDR.jpg

I did a tripod mount many years ago with a three element beam I guy wired the tripod bolted on 2 piece clamps that had eye hooks used that black guy rope with turn buckles and ran the other end to the rafter at the facial boards with eye bolts The guy wire were long but it went thru a blizzard. Uesed that black tar Kent seal on the bolts and under the Tri pod Was up 8 years never leaked

I've installed several tripods in my day, I suggest using a butyl rubber roof sealer (not in a tube but it is a sheet) under each pad, this will seal very well, drill straight through it with the lag bolts. As it gets hot it softens and follow the bolt into the wood. Great stuff, I believe Home Depot carries it still.
Hope you have access to the attic just in case when drilling for the lag bolts you miss a roof truss/joist. If you do miss one I would I would pull the lag back out, install a 2X4/2x6 across the joist/truss then drill the lag back down into it.
The rule of thumb is the mast should only be 3ft above the top of the tripod, you could get away with 5ft depending on the antenna.

3's

Greg

It's a sacrificial shovel handle that has a wood core. It's 1-1/4". I'm thinking of looking at a post hole digger handle soon. I hoping they'll be longer and wider. I had this leftover from when I had my flatside 13B2. I put it thru a torture test the other day.

Last edited:
I know there are no " Stupid Question's " I myself remark on that all the time , but I need to ask , should I make a Balun for my Sirio 27-4 if all my numbers work ? Will I see any advantages ? Magnums still learning !:whistle:;):D

I know there are no " Stupid Question's " I myself remark on that all the time , but I need to ask , should I make a Balun for my Sirio 27-4 if all my numbers work ? Will I see any advantages ? Magnums still learning !:whistle:;):D
Personally no unless you have weird things happening in the shack. Then a coax choke is what I would use.
oh, its only a stupid question if you answer yourself.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

this is also the option ill be going back to since my tower went down, I had one of those on my roof already with no issues, I did use bolts,washers and nuts to secure it niceand tight to the roof

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated