• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice, thoughts, needed on my impending roof tripod install

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Well, here it is. It's a 5 foot tripod with 10 foot of 1-7/8" EMT .090 wall mast with a Yaesu G-450 rotor. The antenna will be a Cushcraft A148-20T yagi.

This will be going on the peak of my roof which is 37' high. My house is 120+ years old. The roof rafters are 16 on center and are beefy Oak rafters, that are like 3"x6". It's a shingle roof which replaced slate. I have a roofer buddy doing the install.

The rotor weighs 7.7 lbs. The antenna weighs 7.0 lbs. I'm using a 3' piece of 1"-1/4 fiberglass shovel handle that's wood filled.

The mast sticks up 6 feet past the top of the tripod. Of course, I'd like to keep the entire length of EMT mast, but I feel compelled to shorten it due to the laws of physics. I have made a few dry runs dropping the mast with rotor and antenna down into the tripod. It's fairly easy, but I'll be standing on the peak when the final install happens. That might be hairy. The legs will be wider when on the peak. So far, it seams like it's fairly stout. My buddy has installed a few of these. He said if installed correctly, they are pretty stiff. I wanted a Glenn Martin roof tower, but I'd have to buck up the rafters. I ain't into that.

I'm open to any suggestions, concerns, encouragement. I'm thinking of cutting the mast down a few feet, but not sure how much, as I want as much as possible. I might want to replace the beam with a 10 meter quad.
tripod.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum

Mud , This is no help to you but I just made my mind up !:D I'm in the process also of installing my new Sirio 27-4 ( approx 15#'s ) , A local op's is giving me a Tri-Pod & mast like that . He tells me that's the way he'd do it ! My original idea is adding extra brackets to my eave mounts already there as my roof is 30' . It can get windy on this hill & now I don't think I want to go as high as you will . I might be a few feet lower but I'll feel better . That's just me !:whistle: Nice setup & good luck & be safe up there .

Reactions: Mudfoot
I always think of a roof mount as a roof leak waiting to happen. I would be interested to see what your guy does to seal it up.
It would be my concern as well.
I have seen satelite guys use what looks like a tar tape under the legs.
Make sure you bolt into something solid.
Play safe up on the roof.

The tripod comes with thick strips of pitch pads. It looks like coax seal that goes under each leg bracket. You tighten the lag bolts down until it starts to squeeze out. I had fears of leaks. My shingles are only 6 years old. I'll be able to monitor for leaks from the attic access. My friend assures me that it will not leak. Of course, if it does, he'll have to fix it.

Normally, I wouldn't even consider punching thru my roof like that. The reviews this particular mount has has helped me be OK with it.

Last edited:
It would be my concern as well.
I have seen satelite guys use what looks like a tar tape under the legs.
Make sure you bolt into something solid.
Play safe up on the roof.

My rafters are stout Oak beams that are 16 on center. I used to have slate, but replaced it with shingle and 5/8" sheathing. I'm satisfied with the underlying structure. I will monitor frequently for leaks. The peak I'm installing it on is very steep, but has low pitch roofs over my kitchen and front porch and the bottom. Lol, if we tumble off the main peak, we should be able to stop ourselves before a final plunge.

This tripod looks so fragile...
Mike

Yes, it does look weak. I fastened it down on an old piece of plywood. It's actually pretty stout. Once the mast is secured and tighten down in the braces, it is surprisingly strong to lateral force. I definitely wouldn't use this tripod for a big beam or giant vertical. It's certainly adequate for what I'm using it for.

Mud , This is no help to you but I just made my mind up !:D I'm in the process also of installing my new Sirio 27-4 ( approx 15#'s ) , A local op's is giving me a Tri-Pod & mast like that . He tells me that's the way he'd do it ! My original idea is adding extra brackets to my eave mounts already there as my roof is 30' . It can get windy on this hill & now I don't think I want to go as high as you will . I might be a few feet lower but I'll feel better . That's just me !:whistle: Nice setup & good luck & be safe up there .

I'd like to see pictures of yer install. Show me yers and I'll show you mine.

I agree that the mast seems kind of tall considering rotor, antenna and coax weight and wind-load.

I do like your idea for the non conductive handle to go between the rotor and the antenna That should help avoid issues with the vertical elements.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I just put the whole 10' mast in for gandering purposes. I'm thinking of having it cut down to where a little over 3 feet rises from the mast. I'll get 3 more feet above the rotor. The tripod looks goofy the way its just standing there. Once its on the roof, the legs with spread to 32".

I must say now I'm on the hunt for a shovel handle ! I like that idea , I don't need much out of the rotor either & seems the handle should be stout enough . I'll post pic's of the install , might be a while , I have a " Honey Do " project to complete first . She has been waiting a while for me to put a new aluminum ramp on her Horse trailer !:whistle: Also waiting on my Ham buddy to complete a project . He's going to help me . This beam thing ( per instructions ) seems simple enough , but he's done it before . I want to get it right the first time .;):LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.