• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ammo Can Portable Radio

Currently using the Lincoln box at my mother in law's. I put up a Sirio 1/2 wave antenna on a 30 foot pole at the end of the house, works great. Having it in the portable can is nice, because I can put it out of sight when not being used. Here it is at the end of the table where I sit.

IMG_20230314_193851306_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Just got the McKinley box together, putting it through it's paces. At my mother in law's house listening to California work DX into England. And I can hear both sides, what a treat. Even with the 203, it is hard to get a word in edge wise. Talking to some locals, I am getting great reports. I believe I have another winner.

IMG_20230411_161057451_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Woody-202 and NZ8N
I need to think about doing something like that. I bought one of those slipseater boxes a long time ago at a truck stop on clearance. It's designed for a CB and car stereo, but I'm sure I can repurpose it for a CB/10m rig and a dual band ham radio. Gotta go down in the basement and see if I can find that thing.... I've had it for at least 15 years.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
How has your boxes been holding up? I am in the process of finishing up my man pack that houses a Yaesu FT891.
The boxes are doing great, I took the Lincoln out and replaced it with a Quad 6. The Lincoln developed some kind of receive problem where it has a little distortion sometimes. I have the Quad 6 box and the McKinley box both at my mother in law's house. So now I have a choice depending on what I am in the mood for. The 8 ah batteries do well and will last several evenings before needing to recharge. When one box runs down, I can put it on charge while putting the other one in service. I haven't been using the onboard power supplies because they make a little noise in the receive. Some day I will make a filter to clean them up, but the battery power works so well that I am not in a hurry.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.