• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier purchase help

Thanks for advice.

The 500s at $800 or so AND the 80A draw is a whole other world from where I now sit.

But at least it’s the right path for the eventual home base HF rig.

Got sidetracked on eHam (happens a lot) and was reading about Hy-Gain antennas. Whammo #2.

If you are an armature radio operator this would be a great addition to your radio gear. But if you are a cb'er there would be an add on you would have to send a copy of your current ham ticket to get it. I don't use amps but if I had this one I would. Maybe I'll start a go fund me page.

Reactions: Slowmover
Why not? It’s worth a try. It’s cheaper to just buy a Brand X comp box and fire it up, wouldn’t you think?
I think one person was offended that I did not suggest one of the class "C" craphacks.
Class "C" is good for radar, sonar, or AM never knowingly heard one on SSB. I have heard some SSB that sounded crunchy.

Last edited:
And spend twice as much buy crap to replace crap that will break down sooner than later. Did you read the specifications on that amp? Has a safety shutdown if high swr is detected, or if the band selector is in the wrong band. Gotta get one!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Listen here you little evil polar bear, I was siding with you. I said we’d either buy quality and drop bucks or be cheap and pinch booger’s out Lincoln’s nose. This day and time you get what you pay for, I’ll be the first to say that.

Now, I’m cheap sometimes and I’m broke more than cheap. So you go start that fund page and tack me on it so we can both get one of them fancy amps you’re blabbering about.

Don’t make me send Gary after you...

23EA5347-52F3-4899-96B4-47F2D3CFA602.jpeg

If you are an armature radio operator this would be a great addition to your radio gear. But if you are a cb'er there would be an add on you would have to send a copy of your current ham ticket to get it. I don't use amps but if I had this one I would. Maybe I'll start a go fund me page.

I was glad to read of both the Ameritron amp and Hy-Gain antennas. Call it, direction

All ham amps commercially built are better than any CB amps commercially built especially tube amps. The problem is ham amps are usually spread out across 1.8-30 mhz and not one particular band is optimized, therefore a ham amp used on the CB band certainly would not be optimized. The key is to get a distressed ham amp that someone trashed the band switch and optimize it for the CB band. That would be better than any commercially built off the shelf CB tube amp. Some people built tube amps with fancy names and spooky decorations on the front panel and boxes 4 times the needed size. They all copy one another and the same mistakes carry through all of them. Not one is properly metered. Just sayin'

All ham amps commercially built are better than any CB amps commercially built especially tube amps. The problem is ham amps are usually spread out across 1.8-30 mhz and not one particular band is optimized, therefore a ham amp used on the CB band certainly would not be optimized. The key is to get a distressed ham amp that someone trashed the band switch and optimize it for the CB band. That would be better than any commercially built off the shelf CB tube amp. Some people built tube amps with fancy names and spooky decorations on the front panel and boxes 4 times the needed size. They all copy one another and the same mistakes carry through all of them. Not one is properly metered. Just sayin'
Ham amplifiers are better than CB amps because of engineering and quality of the parts used. Granted that the amps are spread from 1.8 to 50 MHz, but they are engineered to do that. Each and every band is checked to perform to a certain standard, The engineering/designers weren't just a bunch of dudes who designed the equipment after one too many beers.

Ham amplifiers are better than CB amps because of engineering and quality of the parts used. Granted that the amps are spread from 1.8 to 50 MHz, but they are engineered to do that. Each and every band is checked to perform to a certain standard, The engineering/designers weren't just a bunch of dudes who designed the equipment after one too many beers.
No argument there. However you can't change the laws of physics. Even checking that each band is performing to a standard, that standard due to losses would never compare to a mono band designed amp. Most multiband amps fall off pretty badly at higher frequencies but still acceptable.

Back in the day, a CB customer would encounter an ad in a random issue of QST for a legal ham amplifier. He would express surprise at the prices, with something like "I can get one that costs a third that much per Watt".

I would remind him that the ham amplifier had three times as many parts in it to deliver the same power. Drives up the price.

How times change. Now all those guys are either silent mikes or have a ham license.

Back in the day, a CB customer would encounter an ad in a random issue of QST for a legal ham amplifier. He would express surprise at the prices, with something like "I can get one that costs a third that much per Watt".

I would remind him that the ham amplifier had three times as many parts in it to deliver the same power. Drives up the price.

How times change. Now all those guys are either silent mikes or have a ham license.

I'm happy to pay the extra cost for a excellent well designed amplifier. To get an amplifier to perform over such a wide range of frequencies you have to make some compromises and even with that still perform better than the cb style of amplifiers.
Okay so it is not "Optimized" for one frequency, but they deliver what is needed and cleanly too.

Hey...any help ? I have been in radio since the mid-1960's but mostly amateur radio. (excuse me !) I am not CB biased. Use it off and on.

I met Lester's Truck Stop. (on internet). I have snooped endless for reviews and see some terrible ones. O-you get the products after any pay protection has expired ?

On an email he is the shortest most nasty person I ever heard from.(not provoked)

Now I see he is selling HORNET AMPLIFIERS. I am not good at CB lingo. Why the H are they under a page link labeled CW TRANSMITTERS ??? Hey..if you get the product you get no schematic and guess the support !! What caught my attention he has some now with a band choice. 15 meters. -- and some 20 meters....

Hey..I could maybe use a 15 meter amp as nobody sells them. (just the one band)

I ask him what the driving power requirements are and get a 4 letter word reply. NOBODY WANTS TO OVERDRIVE AN AMPLIFIER and put it into meltdown...right ? Where are all the 15 meter radios people are going to use to drive it ? You all know a common CB is by regs is 4 watts. (yes...I always thought totally crazy) Of coarse most use amps I assume. I am not the government.

Pay for a HORNET AMP for 15 or 20 meters and drive it with what ? As known a normal amateur transceiver puts out 100 watts that can usually be turned down.

O-I forgot..these are HORNET CW TRANSMITTERS-------

A little help ?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.