• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier purchase help

I don't know why he is selling them as CW transmitters.
Texas Star managed to get the ok from the FCC to sell the CW models at one point, that is why all of a sudden they were being openly sold in the display case.
At that time, to convert to a amp, required the removal of the cw crystal board.
I think they are just trying to ride Texas star's coat tails with that part.

I hear you about
Pay with pay pal and they don't ship for 8 months and it's too late to file a claim if it's shit.

Don't know anything about these amps but the picture I found.

And it sounds, from your description, he is like talking to Joe at knock off Dave made.

Jeff
hornet-cw-transmitters-7.png

Naturally you're aware that amplifiers are expressly forbidden for use with a CB radio, right? And there's a law that forbids "selling or offering for sale" an amplifier for CB.

As such, nobody who makes them will advertise it as that. But pretending that it has a legitimate use for legal ham frequencies became the rule 40-plus years ago. More than one maker of sweep-tube amplifiers after 1979 would add a band selector to a CB linear and pretend it was a legal ham-band product.

Some of them would actually work on the ham frequencies printed on the front. And some of them would only work on 11 or 10 meters. Most any 10-meter amp would work on CB, and nearly any bootleg 11-meter amp works on the 10-meter ham band. The frequencies are not far enough apart to handicap an amplifier.

The rule banning a CB linear says it's not legal if it can work between 25 and 50 MHz. The 15-meter band is 21 MHz. Makes it sound like printing "15 meter" on the front gets it out of the forbidden-frequency range.

Not so sure about Lester. Not my problem.

And if you don't like Lester, vote with your feet and just stay away.

Problem solved.

hey....thanks for the info... Gets more confusing but guess that is the game.

I had a Yaesu FT101F once and remember cb'ers seemed to go after the F model and yes it did work fine in cb frequencies. I had to move fast once and left it behind. By today's standards it was heavy and the sweep tubes were a negative. (there was a 6146 tube conversion but even with that don't think anybody makes 6146 anymore) When I left it behind it did need some kind of repair.

I did buy one of those H2's from Lester's and received it maybe 8 months later. I have yet to study it. You get no schematic and no instructions. Mine I asked for legit 10 meters but----

Then I just saw his site selling these amps for 15 and 20 meters. I ask by email about them and got a short 'nothing reply'.

Internet search brings up that he is smart and seems to know what he is doing but his habits and personality are terrible. If you see a product from him it might be 2 years later. He cares about nobody except himself.

Hey....if you have a small low powered 15 meter transmitter a single band amp would be a plus as who sells them ?

He promotes things as Amateur Radio but ask that type of question there is no answer.

Solid-State amps ? Price to the moon as to multi-band and specs usually are inflated. You know..400 watts out if if you do that the finals go soft fast and might not even be replaceable.

I don't knock CB if that's what somebody wants to do. I play with all kinds of things from GMRS and Marine Radio to ??? Got a couple ICOM M-710 radios and these stupid radios are glued to just marine channels. From what all say the 710 needs to be programmed with a computer with ICOM program and can only use Windows 95 In REAL DOS MODE. So that is a project to be solved some day.

I've yapped too much but in finish I simply think Lester's is total confusion. Enhancements and modifications that do unknown things.

Hey..before I leave what's the luck with all these Chinese Amps ? From what I hear that are way over-rated and give off very poor emissions but work.

Must say I do not advocate anything illegal. (and have no government affiliation?) I do have an amateur license. I think the TECH license is not hard and gives you 10 meter SSB. I got my license in the mid-1960's showing how old I'm getting. To me a depressing thing is all amateur radio is turning into digital modes. 2 computers hear what your ears can not. Exchange a few digits and that is the contact !!!! No real conversations.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Hey...any help ? I have been in radio since the mid-1960's but mostly amateur radio. (excuse me !) I am not CB biased. Use it off and on.

I met Lester's Truck Stop. (on internet). I have snooped endless for reviews and see some terrible ones. O-you get the products after any pay protection has expired ?

On an email he is the shortest most nasty person I ever heard from.(not provoked)

Now I see he is selling HORNET AMPLIFIERS. I am not good at CB lingo. Why the H are they under a page link labeled CW TRANSMITTERS ??? Hey..if you get the product you get no schematic and guess the support !! What caught my attention he has some now with a band choice. 15 meters. -- and some 20 meters....

Hey..I could maybe use a 15 meter amp as nobody sells them. (just the one band)

I ask him what the driving power requirements are and get a 4 letter word reply. NOBODY WANTS TO OVERDRIVE AN AMPLIFIER and put it into meltdown...right ? Where are all the 15 meter radios people are going to use to drive it ? You all know a common CB is by regs is 4 watts. (yes...I always thought totally crazy) Of coarse most use amps I assume. I am not the government.

Pay for a HORNET AMP for 15 or 20 meters and drive it with what ? As known a normal amateur transceiver puts out 100 watts that can usually be turned down.

O-I forgot..these are HORNET CW TRANSMITTERS-------

A little help ?

Because it's illegal to sell Class C amps. He sells "CW" amps, you mod them for class "C" for CB use, that way you are the only one who has broken the law and his business remains intact.

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.