• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anderson Power Poles... Where you been all my life?

crimp on coax connectors:unsure:

Yeah, I know! The reps from Times Microwave were showing how well their new connectors work for difficult installations like being up on a tower. The things are surprisingly strong, and had very good electrical connections as tested. The tool they had was a ratcheting one that once you clamped it all the way in, the connector was not going to come off. Finished it off with shrink tubing, and it made it water tight.

RT307

Reactions: Slowmover
Just got a set of 50 30 amp anderson powerpole connectors. I <3 them just converter all my mobile gear to them so I can move them inside to power on my home PSU..

P.S. the first time I clicked them together was like SEX

crimp on coax connectors:unsure:

Been working well for me, and far less chance of the foam insulator melting or solder wicking into places it shouldn't! I figure if they use it on high-value, mission critical installations, should work fine for me. Check out N5IAW on eBay for his crimper and connectors. Very reasonably priced, and feel/appear/work great. Pretty much my whole station is put together using his connectors. The most tedious part is stripping the coax, which would be made simple if I bought one of those DX Engineering strippers, or equivalent, but for now, a sharp razor blade works well.

Also, the Powerpole ratcheting crimper is great, makes installing them a 30 second ordeal. Strip, crimp, click! And no need to worry about mashing them out of shape so they don't fit in the housing like with cheaper crimpers!

Reactions: 1 person
Got my RIGrunner power outlet strip today. I no longer have a rats nest of power wires. An OCD sufferers dream come true.

Anderson PowerPoles meant a fair investment. The supplies plus the correct crimp tool. THEN the RigRunner.

(Bought from several sources. POWERWERX is where to start; see also custom cables).

But, boy, what a difference. Worth the $$.

Decided my first project would be a 10-ga set of power leads:

1). One 2’ set of soldered end leads for binding posts.
2). One 2’ set of #10 ring terminals
3). One 3’ set of BATT terminals with 30A fuses
4). One 1’ set of 30A fuses

And then 22’ OAL of odd lengths in same. All covered in split loom.

Made moving into and then out of yet another company tractor simple.

Once I knew what I REALLY wanted for a tractor (radio overhead, on dash, on seat AND where to connect power) out came that “Install Set” for something permanent.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I've recently invested in these things too, they are great once you figure out how to use them properly. The only thing I don't like about the smaller ones is they are obviously not as solid as the larger ones like the SB50 are, but it's still a great product and I've rigged up my power supply at home with a powerpole distribution strip as a result, and have a RigRunner in the mobile.

Reactions: Slowmover
Another thing I discovered.... the low current powerpole inserts are basically worthless, like the 30A ones, well, nobody in their right mind would be able to use those for something carrying 30A. So just buy 45amp inserts when you restock, you can basically do up to about #8 in those but they still crimp fine down to #12 no problem too.

I think a perfect crimp is overrated. The only reason I crimp anything is in the off chance the connection get so hot it melts the solder, the cable doesn't come out and arc on other things.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.