• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anderson Power Poles... Where you been all my life?

“Waaaah, they’re not holding my hands and wiping my chin!!”

Yeah, welcome to the TANGIBLE world. No erase & re-set.

I do sympathize. A little. Thirty-five years ago I had to teach myself automotive mechanics. No choice. Didn’t go in anywhere near blind, but the jump from maintenance to HD repairs was daunting. I knew the names of things, for instance. Follow discussions.

But I couldn’t afford to break anything. Not the “right” tools. Etc.

The most, I’m gonna get drunk instead, sentence I’d come across was to dismantle an item “in the conventional fashion”. (Okay, I’ve kicked myself under three consecutive full moons for not taking automotive shop class. Now what?). What the hell was either “conventional” or “the fashion” IN THIS INSTANCE?

I had no end of the usual aftermarket manuals. Had to then order the Field Service Manual re-print. What I wanted to do was preceded by three other operations. Deep breath. Hoka Hey (All or nothing, now).

Bucky Boy here is typical. He wants to DIY, but doesn’t yet understand he’s made himself look stupid (only watched till he emailed). I don’t kid that I’m deeply disturbed by the prevalent attitude of not wanting to learn among today’s American men. Will put family safety BEHIND ego concerns.

Welcome to another episode of MANHOOD!!

You want to know why divorce was (and should be) against the mores, customs and laws of our land, here it is: an otherwise ostensibly intelligent man cast adrift. There is no “quality time” when we disregard the consequences of the day-in and day-out exchanges between father & son. Humility. Willingness. Determination. Grit. His father, too. A thousand generations worth. Discarded.

Any of you care to land at Normandy on June 6th with a regiment of these men? Wade ashore at Iwo Jima? Break thru the bocage, or slither across black volcanic rock?

Online reference: THE BOCAGE, “How the Americans overcame it”.
Bonilla, Gabriel

(Ever met a farmer wasn’t broadminded about expedient solutions? Yeah, e neither. Some of the best, “let’s have a few and tell stories”. )

I’m here at this site only recently. Don’t know enough to claim ignorance. But I’m satisfied that there’s enough of that 1970s re-statement (H.S. Thompson, when the going gets tough, the weird turn pro) of calm under fire that it’s the right KIND of place.

Bucky boy needs to search out pro-affiliated forums. To try learning. It’s how I kept up with contract bids in another lifetime. Appreciate the skill & determination. But not be bowled over or dismissive.

I hadn’t considered running to make a Utube video the equivalent of retreat to a safe space. Ha!

There was no cover at Iwo coming ashore. None.

Online reference: SMALL WARS JOURNAL, “Combat, Orders, and Judgment”. Nightingale, Keith

Confidence comes thru experience. And experience has meant a thousand mistakes. Judgment, a wing and a prayer. Hoka Hey!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
So, ANDERSON POWERPOLES have meant an investment in tools. First the set for 18-12/ga, upcoming is the set for 10-4/ga.

And the MUCH higher price of supplies.

BECAUSE MISTAKES WILL BE MADE.

Hell, it’s just further “standardization. Had moved to USCG-approved ANCOR MARINE GRADE wiring two decades ago for my automotive 12V work. No solder allowed. Quality.

APP just more of that. And long in remiss.

Last edited:
This seems to be the best tool for those high amperage connections.
Harbor freight sells something similar.

I have this one and the next size bigger too. I make my own battery cables and high amperage cables for car audio sound systems. The hydraulic crimper is essential for a proper "cold weld". I used to solder my big connections (00 and 0000) and it is hard to do correctly without damaging the insulation on the cable. The biggest mistake I see people make is to use a connector that is too big and then it doesn't smash down correctly. The proper size should barely fit.

My dad, he was born in 1903, had a 3rd grade education, would tell me that all you need to do a job is the tools and the know how. If you had the tools, you could fake the know how. How many of us had to do automotive work at a young age because you needed to be at work tomorrow? No youtube, no Chilton. Just do it. It was a learning experience for sure. Many times under a car in the cold, pileing up snow to keep the wind out just to change a starter or water pump. Oh boy. The good ol days

Here is some of my cable work.
1549033034090195543920.jpg

My dad, he was born in 1903, had a 3rd grade education, would tell me that all you need to do a job is the tools and the know how. If you had the tools, you could fake the know how. How many of us had to do automotive work at a young age because you needed to be at work tomorrow? No youtube, no Chilton. Just do it. It was a learning experience for sure. Many times under a car in the cold, pileing up snow to keep the wind out just to change a starter or water pump. Oh boy. The good ol days

I know the feeling well. I swapped a Mustang to automatic from straight drive in the snow so I could take my butt to work. Miserable. The job, not the transmission thing.

Ha! No, I wasn’t referring to “maintenance” (water pump, fuel pump, starter, u-joints, carb rebuild & so forth that was mainly self-taught).

Big repairs

Re-build entire front end was what I was referring to. V8-440 timing chain. Replace bearings in Chrysler 8-3/4 axle. And without “proper tools”. Just cheap hand tools. On the apartment driveway after manager left for day. Not piss off other residents about “no auto repairs”. No mess. Set up & take down each day after a few hours work. Car had to “look” like it would start, run & drive once finished for day.

Had to work fast & efficiently. Steps memorized.

No money was problem. Backed into corner. Had to work right first time as needed it to run, and couldn’t afford mistakes or pro mechanics.

Thinking about those guys under fire. And still being able to think clearly enough to come up with solutions. And then go outside the box.

(See the short references listed).

Good old days is right. No way I could pull that off today. Luckily, machines have their own logic. American minds I understand. Have never owned Nip cars for that reason alone.

So it gets to me I run into these guys who WON’T start . . . or get offended someone didn’t hold their hand.

What “man” spits on graves of his grandfathers? Over something which everyone in the room would go quiet? Not believing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Tried to save some money by buying some generic. Definitely tell their cheap. The blades seem to be OK, but I still solder them to be certain of a good connection.

The housings I got are junk. Hard to get the blade inserted fully. The tongue and grooves aren't molded right. I had to epoxy them together and hold together with heat shrink. Original Anderson stuff works great. Most dudes against these connectors might be using knock offs.

Tried to save some money by buying some generic. Definitely tell their cheap. The blades seem to be OK, but I still solder them to be certain of a good connection.

The housings I got are junk. Hard to get the blade inserted fully. The tongue and grooves aren't molded right. I had to epoxy them together and hold together with heat shrink. Original Anderson stuff works great. Most dudes against these connectors might be using knock offs.
Have to agree, off brand are junk. I had some on my KX2 system. Broken plastic while on a mountain top during a SOTA activation. Ended up activating withVHF and replacng in the truck in the valley, to go on for a second summit for the day. All tossed after getting home.

Have you put hay bales around your pickup to block the wind and then got under your pickup and start a fire on the ground under the oil pan to warm the engine enough for it to start? :)

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.