• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any aftermarket solutions for new Cobra 2000 frequency counter?

Dart

Oct 18, 2012
I have a cobra 2000 that is missing the internal module. Everything else (on the face is present).

Has anyone ever successfully retro-fitted an aftermarket frequency counter into the face of a Cobra 2000, as has been done on other radios? I know that buying the internal frequency counter module (box) would be near impossible and very expensive. I'm just looking for a way to get around having to have an external counter,

Dosy FC-50(P) or FC-50SP may fit behind there after you remove the Cobra factory unit and the casing off the FC-50.

Downsides are it only displays frequency when transmitting, they have blue LEDs, you have to do some coax, 12 VDC power wiring & mounting revisions and you no longer have a clock function anymore. Cost around $70-$100 depending on where you by them.

Connex and Ranger have similar small aftermarket Freq. counters but do not accept standard coax connectors and will need somewhere else to get a signal from within the radio. Cost around $50-$75.

There were other manufacturers in the past like Zetagi, that had red LEDs with standard coax connectors.

Used to be someone who would take your Cobra non-functioning core and send you out a refurbished unit for a fee. Not sure if that guy is still around. When mine go and become un-repairable, I'll put a Dosy or Connex/Ranger unit in there or just an LED clock.

Reactions: Dart
Reactions: 222DBFL
My radio is actually missing the module. My screen and digits are ok. Here is what I'm missing.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 8
Here is an entire radio. Only 6hrs left. It's a parts radio. Read the description. Has bad internal power supply and weak receive.

Attachments

• IMG_5583.PNG
    IMG_5583.PNG
    641.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5584.PNG
    IMG_5584.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5585.PNG
    IMG_5585.PNG
    76.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5586.PNG
    IMG_5586.PNG
    87.9 KB · Views: 8
Two basic choices:

1) Low cost, high effort, reduced features. The cheap counter displays have only one offset, and won't compensate for USB and LSB, can't be used with the original display and require more effort to install. Doesn't function as a clock, either.

But they're cheap.

2) High cost and low effort with full features. Nobody sells a 'drop-in' replacement counter that plugs into the original display. The original-type clock/counter module is easiest to install, has the SSB offsets, and costs more.

Haven't found a third alternative.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.