1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

ANY MEMBER IN THE HURRICANES PATH?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by Mudfoot, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Just wondering if any of our members are affected.

Rwb and Tallman like this.

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

I know Buttfuzz for sure...Salem/Roanoke is almost ground Zero...Good Luck Fuzz!

#2 BJ radionut, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  3. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

I’m another one, 50 miles from the coast. Looks like they don’t know what’s gonna happen. I imagine there’s a few of us here that are gonna be impacted in some way from this.

357magnum and Rwb like this.
  4. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

You beat me to it!

5. TheRealPorkchop

If you’re in Columbus, Bladen, Brunswick or New Hanover, they are going to kill the power to those counties Thursday afternoon/night. Duke Power is doing this, Georgia Power & Alabama Power are camping out in Robeson County waiting to disconnect it. Other counties my be receiving the same thing.

Personally I think it BS. I see both sides but still BS.

So if you’re sitting at home and enjoying the Workdwide DX forum and you’re suddenly in the dark with little to no rain or wind, thank Duke Power.

6. Rwb

Rwb Well-Known Member

I see they reduced it from 4to 2.hope you all out there survive ok

357magnum likes this.
  7. TheRealPorkchop

Says it’ll drop to a 1 once it hits land. The rain is gonna be the worst part probably and that’ll be bad enough all in itself. I hope everyone else here and out there stays safe.

8. Norm Garland

Norm Garland New Member

Charleston SC, we have been in and out of the path. Now we are in the path of it as a TS or TD. The problem will be the rainfall upstate. Its going to dump a lot of water and there will be many reports of flooding in NC and SC next week. All that water will be going downhill to the ocean any way it can.

357magnum likes this.
  9. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

TheRealPc , I take it your staying ? Hoping the best for you friends and family . 73 and God Bless , Leo (y)

Rwb likes this.
  10. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Actually it make perfect sense when you look at it. The island country of Jamaica kills power to the entire island when a major hurricane is imminent. It protects the infrastructure not taken out by high winds. When energized lines go down transformers and substations tend to explode which only adds to the cost of repairs as well as taking much longer to restore power. With the power off they simply isolate sections and restore power gradually and any faults are no where near as catastrophic.

11. TheRealPorkchop

That’s true, I won’t argue with you on that. But around here, they don’t get in a hurry. My own stupidity that I’ve not bought a generator by now, I’ve been through enough of this to know better.

Two things are my main concern without power, my diabetes medicine and the freezers in my garage that are full of food, stuff right out the garden. But, my own stupidity for not buying something to solve that problem.

It’s easier to make excuses most of the time than just do what it takes to avoid those excuses later.

357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  12. TheRealPorkchop

Yea I’m staying. Nowhere to go really, no funds for traveling. I’ve been sick for the most part of this year and only been able to work about two months this whole year. So things are kinda tight right now.

It’s down to a Cat 2 though and it’s been said it’ll go to a Cat 1 once it hits land. Bad enough but nothing like a 4. It’s not raining here yet but it’s coming. A little windy but not bad. Not yet.

I started to leave the A99 up in the air but then decided I didn’t need the expense of another antenna. It’s noisy and I want something better but it’s better than nothing, for now. I want a tower but even wholesale they’re not that cheap.

357magnum and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  13. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

OK RPC - Common sense prevails.

Keep a cool head and your wits about you - you should be ok.

357magnum likes this.
  14. TheRealPorkchop

Oh yeah, I’ll be alright. It could always be much worse, a bunch of us have seen worse for sure.

357magnum likes this.
  15. TheRealPorkchop

The rain is here. The wind started several hours ago, like a strong breeze. Won’t be long now, the power will either go out on its own or they’ll knock it off.

Looking at the possible directions it can go it looks like most of the places people were evacuated from, it’s gonna head there anyway. That would really suck. Imagine being forced from your home and where you fled to ends up without power and/or flooded too. Wow.

357magnum likes this.