• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANY MEMBER IN THE HURRICANES PATH?

I’m another one, 50 miles from the coast. Looks like they don’t know what’s gonna happen. I imagine there’s a few of us here that are gonna be impacted in some way from this.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
If you’re in Columbus, Bladen, Brunswick or New Hanover, they are going to kill the power to those counties Thursday afternoon/night. Duke Power is doing this, Georgia Power & Alabama Power are camping out in Robeson County waiting to disconnect it. Other counties my be receiving the same thing.

Personally I think it BS. I see both sides but still BS.

So if you’re sitting at home and enjoying the Workdwide DX forum and you’re suddenly in the dark with little to no rain or wind, thank Duke Power.

I see they reduced it from 4to 2.hope you all out there survive ok

Reactions: 357magnum
Says it’ll drop to a 1 once it hits land. The rain is gonna be the worst part probably and that’ll be bad enough all in itself. I hope everyone else here and out there stays safe.

Charleston SC, we have been in and out of the path. Now we are in the path of it as a TS or TD. The problem will be the rainfall upstate. Its going to dump a lot of water and there will be many reports of flooding in NC and SC next week. All that water will be going downhill to the ocean any way it can.

If you’re in Columbus, Bladen, Brunswick or New Hanover, they are going to kill the power to those counties Thursday afternoon/night. Duke Power is doing this, Georgia Power & Alabama Power are camping out in Robeson County waiting to disconnect it. Other counties my be receiving the same thing.

Personally I think it BS. I see both sides but still BS.

So if you’re sitting at home and enjoying the Workdwide DX forum and you’re suddenly in the dark with little to no rain or wind, thank Duke Power.

Actually it make perfect sense when you look at it. The island country of Jamaica kills power to the entire island when a major hurricane is imminent. It protects the infrastructure not taken out by high winds. When energized lines go down transformers and substations tend to explode which only adds to the cost of repairs as well as taking much longer to restore power. With the power off they simply isolate sections and restore power gradually and any faults are no where near as catastrophic.

That’s true, I won’t argue with you on that. But around here, they don’t get in a hurry. My own stupidity that I’ve not bought a generator by now, I’ve been through enough of this to know better.

Two things are my main concern without power, my diabetes medicine and the freezers in my garage that are full of food, stuff right out the garden. But, my own stupidity for not buying something to solve that problem.

It’s easier to make excuses most of the time than just do what it takes to avoid those excuses later.

Yea I’m staying. Nowhere to go really, no funds for traveling. I’ve been sick for the most part of this year and only been able to work about two months this whole year. So things are kinda tight right now.

It’s down to a Cat 2 though and it’s been said it’ll go to a Cat 1 once it hits land. Bad enough but nothing like a 4. It’s not raining here yet but it’s coming. A little windy but not bad. Not yet.

I started to leave the A99 up in the air but then decided I didn’t need the expense of another antenna. It’s noisy and I want something better but it’s better than nothing, for now. I want a tower but even wholesale they’re not that cheap.

The rain is here. The wind started several hours ago, like a strong breeze. Won’t be long now, the power will either go out on its own or they’ll knock it off.

Looking at the possible directions it can go it looks like most of the places people were evacuated from, it’s gonna head there anyway. That would really suck. Imagine being forced from your home and where you fled to ends up without power and/or flooded too. Wow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.