• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone Else Experiencing This?

Gonna try to stay politically neutral while I say this :( even though I don't wan't to.

With how much political excitement fossil fuel emissions are causing, it surprises me that nobody in politics wants to spend billions on putting out these fires. With what was wasted this year alone (giving it away), we could have cut countless fire breaks and seriously equipped hundreds of counties to fight wildfires. CO2 is CO2, it don't matter if it comes from gasoline or wood... Why not attack a source of CO2 that doesn't shut down the entire economy??

The terrain here is rough, in fact last year we lost a dozer operator , he was killed trying to cut a fire break.
Wild fires here are no joke, people lose everything, I have friends here that have evacuated and come back to nothing.
Every single thing on there property, cars, house, outbuildings, everything.
I have seen fireproof gun cabinets reduced to melted metal, tools that have been so hot they they turn into a blob of melted steel.
It is something you never want to endure in your Lifetime.
And billions do get spent here on fire suppression, I am sitting here right now watching 5 Helios refueling, with ground crews and support equipment.
I have lived here 60 plus years, and the last 10 have been the driest I have ever seen.

And just a note, politics don't play well on this forum.

Jeff

I've never been to the West Coast, but I'm 55 years old and remember seeing wildfires on the West Coast being covered by the news when I was a kid. This happens every year, year after year. What I always wonder now is with the thousands upon thousands of wooded acres that burn every year, what in the world could be left to burn out there? I know this sounds silly, but believe me I'm not the only one in the middle of the USA wondering the same thing. It just seems at this point everything that could burn would have burnt buy now. Ya'll must have some massive forest out there. Hopefully all of you in that part of the country stay safe.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Wildfires are burning more acreage in Calif each year.
Some of the largest fires since 1950 occurred after 2000.
In 2017 alone wildfire destroyed thousands of structures and caused billions of dollars in damages.
Here is a chart from 2017
download.png

In 2018 we had 7,571 wildfires that burned nearly 1.7 million acres and caused 93 confirmed fatalities.

There are 33 million acres of forest land in California.

I live in the Sierra Nevada about 40 min from the Highway 140 entrance to Yosemite National Park and in the last 15 years I have had to evacuate 3 times, and have been on evac notice half a dozen more.
One of the biggest problems is extended drought.
There has been a high increase in tree mortality due to bark beetle, the beetles have always been here, but trees in the past were healthy enough to tolerate the bugs.
Due to stress from heat and drought they can't fend off the infestation any more and are dieing off.
It is estimated that 139 million trees have died in California forests since 2010.

We are not the only ones, already this year we have seen massive fire's in New Mexico, Colorado and other states.

Another indicator of the drought conditions in the west are Lake Mead, this year the original water intake valve that has been in service since 1971, is now visible above the water line.
It is the largest manade reservoir in the United States and right now it is sitting at less than 35% capacity.
Lake Powell is in about the same shape due to reduced flows from the Colorado River.
To say that it is dry out here is putting it mildly......
So yes, we have a lot of forest, and fires are increasing at a alarming rate.
This latest fire has been named the Washburn fire.
This morning it was a little over 1000 acres, as of 8 pm Pacific it is now 2044 acres due to winds and fuel load witn 0% containment.

Jeff

I spoke with a group of fire fighters this morning from the United States Forest Service that just arrived.
One group is from Kentucky, the other from Tennessee.
We took the time to Thank them for there comitment and hard work.
Thanks go out to these guys and gals that are out here risking there lives to protect our National Parks.
It takes enormous courage to do this job, hats off to each and every one.

Jeff

Does anybody actually talk about CB radios or do you just Converse about the weather
Welcome!
I am sure that someone will have information about the Andy 2. You just need to be patient, it takes more than an hour to get a response as the members are not all online all the time. It might take a day or a week or a month.

We talk about the weather on the cb. When I talk to someone in a distant place, it is good to be aware of any problems in their area. I always ask them how they are and how they are dealing with the situation. On the off chance that I could possibly do anything to help from thousands of miles away, I would do it. Sometimes a few words of encouragement will go a long way.

Reactions: Handy Andy
Welcome!
I am sure that someone will have information about the Andy 2. You just need to be patient, it takes more than an hour to get a response as the members are not all online all the time. It might take a day or a week or a month.

We talk about the weather on the cb. When I talk to someone in a distant place, it is good to be aware of any problems in their area. I always ask them how they are and how they are dealing with the situation. On the off chance that I could possibly do anything to help from thousands of miles away, I would do it. Sometimes a few words of encouragement will go a long way.
I will, thank you for your advice, sorry to come across the way I did. Thanks for sharing

I spoke with a group of fire fighters this morning from the United States Forest Service that just arrived.
One group is from Kentucky, the other from Tennessee.
We took the time to Thank them for there comitment and hard work.
Thanks go out to these guys and gals that are out here risking there lives to protect our National Parks.
It takes enormous courage to do this job, hats off to each and every one.

Jeff
That new oak fire is really close to town, saw it this afternoon, all the tourist were taking pictures of it

It's about 10 air miles. North east of us , radio says high rate of spread.
20220722_155458.jpg
In just a few hours it has jumped to 1300 acres.
This was 2 hours ago I snapped through the windshield coming up 140.
I can hear the DC 10 when they make a pass.
It started in Midpines, but they have already issued evacuations in several areas.
Screenshot_20220722-165640.png

Winds 15-20 mph

Jeff

Video footage local news.
They moved some air attack off the Washburn fire to hit this one.
If this burns all the way through to the Lush Meadows Area, there is going to be a lot of loss, a lot of people live up in that area.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.