1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Anytone 5555 am modulation sounds weak

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Staybolt, Oct 16, 2020 at 7:25 PM.

1. Staybolt

Staybolt Well-Known Member

Been trying to find a way to get the modulation to sound better on the 5555. Everyone says it sounds low, weak, shitty, ect. I'm on the stock mic and am looking to see if I can mod the radio for better audio.

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I ditched the stock mic for a 636. Then I turned up the mic level in the menu setting. That along with turning up the modulation pot inside does a decent job.

TIN_CAN and Slowmover like this.
  3. Shadetree Mechanic

4. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

5555 is using electret type mike, so should work very good.
    I think, that mod lvl is set too low from factory.
    I would also check what is the voltage on mic capsule.
    Mike

r carl and Slowmover like this.
  5. Staybolt

I've set the modulation with the menu and set the modulation inside via the pot and still sounds like a stock 23 ch realistic.

Slowmover likes this.
  6. Shadetree Mechanic

The stock mic doesn't have much bass which makes it great for side band dx. The 636 can make your voice sound more natural. It also is up to interpretation what anyone's locals think sounds good. One of my locals though that a CB is supposed to sound raspy, I guess some people think that sounds like a big radio. The best way to increase the modulation after the limiter is turned up is to turn down the carrier and run a small amplifier. This will help your signal go a little farther while making your radio sound a whole lot better. As in loud and clear with a more natural sound without having to use an equalizer.

Slowmover likes this.
  7. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Realistic gets no love.

8. darklife

darklife Modulating Madness

You have to be careful turning up the mic gain in this radio too much, the TIP36c modulation transistor likes to get crispy warm. I adjust from the menu to full mod, then adjust the POT inside a little higher than factory and have good reports. A different mic wouldn't hurt of course.

9. Staybolt

Yeah but mine is uniden inside. Trc 457, 459, ext.

10. Staybolt

I already did that. Locals still say "sounds like shit"....

11. Staybolt

I bought a mic adapter off Ebay to run a power mic on it. Not much change. Still sounds restricted and shitty on am even with a d 104. Ugh. I'm about to give up. I think I got screwed on this radio.

12. Shadetree Mechanic

The d104 doesn't have a lot of bass. It has more midrange and treble and there is a mod somewhere to bring up the bass. The 5555 should not need a power mic. There is plenty of adjustment in the mic level to fully modulate with a noise cancelling mic.

I use another radio on the bench as a monitor with no antenna and head phones. This way I can set the mic level and modulation to make sure I don't sound scratchy. I also use a scope, but when it starts to look bad, it can still sound ok. I usually just set it by ear.

13. Staybolt

I've listened on several other radios besides on air testing and even with a power mic it sounds low and muddy. I think I'm just gonna sell the damn thing. Tired of the locals bitching and making comments how bad it sounds.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  14. Shadetree Mechanic

How long have you had the radio? I think @Tim Chambers has a swing mod for it. But a swing mod might not help much unless you are running an amp with it. What other radios do you run?