• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 5555 am modulation sounds weak

Early at5555 sounded flat as a fart in thick fog,
they have a compression or vogad circuit in the mic amplifier with shitty time constants,

when you put a power mic on them without doing anything else & keyed up to talk the initial thump from a power mic would hammer the compressor shut & your audio was low at first then got louder as the gain slowly came back up,

i came up with a quick fix for locals by putting attenuation between mic & rig then turning the power mic up so the initial thump did not hammer the compressor shut.

not tried a later version but i have heard them on air & they sound like the time constants have been changed so it releases faster & maybe does not clamp down so hard,
to me they sound more dynamic than early versions.

Heres the board. Anyone know which part I disable for the limiter?

Attachments

• 20201102_131426.jpg
    20201102_131426.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 43
You're not close enough in the shot - the upper portion of the pic is blurry, so you'll need to locate W11, W10 trim pots, then re-shoot that area from AM Regulator-back panel towards Centerline and towards the front by W8 thru W5 pots - and repost photo so I can even help you.

Also - are you comfortable with working with this small of SMD devices? The problem with this is the ability of most novice or hobby solder tools are not in the realm of tips and quality to offer good repair if the job goes south...

So you know, you zoomed in on the Limiter, but that area can "kill" your radio. As in - make it a Brick.

upload_2020-11-2_17-41-53.png
upload_2020-11-2_17-51-32.png

I leave this section alone - for it Clips as well as handles the volume of the STOCK mike - you make changes here - again you can kill your radio.

I work in a different area...

The area you're going to work in - SENSES the output - and pipes it thru to here to CONTROL the volume.

The Mod listed by @Shadetree Mechanic for another radio - disables the "sense" lead.

upload_2020-11-2_17-54-42.png

upload_2020-11-2_17-57-7.png

If you can figure this out on your own, go ahead, but remember...

FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
If you perform the work,
It becomes your responsibility...
If it works, Great - Enjoy!
If it Don't - It is on You - no one else
Do Your Research First...
Then Decide...

Last edited:
Try again...

Just more left -of the Large Diode. There is a tight coil - you have it in the upper corner of your shot, open air one, - we needs the real estate from that area too...

A better shot. Sorry I only have my phone to take pics.

Attachments

• 20201102_193951.jpg
    20201102_193951.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I found your answer, at least why that performs like a "turd".

It's actually a Quality issue, you have a part that fell off.

upload_2020-11-2_20-43-22.png

You're missing a 1.2K Chip SMD resistor - See orange Circled part? The open pads next to it are for your missing part.

It changes the performance because the 1.2K's act as a divider - splitting the signal into half it's drive value before passing along thru D41 into the AMC amp circuit.

So to be honest, if you can put a smaller value like 560 (561) where those two pads are - that would be even better for this than to say remove your D41 diode.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?