• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 6666 new

I was going to ask you about that. I used the factory FireStik coax which is gimpy. I made sure that is was good. It does flex abit at the connector since it's wimpy.

Mine gets out fine and lots of skip contacts running it. Granted mine is a 5' model.
Well coax must be bad have to order a new mount key up radio says swr hi won't come down.

Well coax must be bad have to order a new mount key up radio says swr hi won't come down.
Do you have a volt-ohmmeter (VOM)? If so, check the continuity from the center pin to the shell of the connector. Should be an open circuit; no continuity. Then shell to the mount bracket, should have continuity. Then center pin to where the Firestik screws in, should have continuity.
If all that checks out, pull the end cap off the Firestik and check for continuity from the part that screws in to the end of the wire under the cap. You might have to scrape the wire with a knife or sandpaper to make sure you get a good connection to the meter. That should have continuity too.
Occasionally that wire doesn't make a good connection at the bottom of the antenna.

You don't necessary need a VOM to check these things. A battery and test light works too. It's also pretty simple to make a test light out of a cheap flashlight.

Do you have a volt-ohmmeter (VOM)? If so, check the continuity from the center pin to the shell of the connector. Should be an open circuit; no continuity. Then shell to the mount bracket, should have continuity. Then center pin to where the Firestik screws in, should have continuity.
If all that checks out, pull the end cap off the Firestik and check for continuity from the part that screws in to the end of the wire under the cap. You might have to scrape the wire with a knife or sandpaper to make sure you get a good connection to the meter. That should have continuity too.
Occasionally that wire doesn't make a good connection at the bottom of the antenna.

You don't necessary need a VOM to check these things. A battery and test light works too. It's also pretty simple to make a test light out of a cheap flashlight.
I have Both test light and a volt meter will check in the morning

Reactions: WECSOG

Ok checked mount and coax no continuity and no continuity on fire stik

I would suggest a external meter and see what that says. I use the built in one and it's fairly accurate for quick readings when keying up. But I did the check of the antenna with a real external meter.

still thinking you may have an antenna ground issues.

I would suggest a external meter and see what that says. I use the built in one and it's fairly accurate for quick readings when keying up. But I did the check of the antenna with a real external meter.

I using a external meter but when I key it up says swr hi and it won't put out power for me to check on my dee meter will check ground issue I think your right.Even with the swr off still says swr hi and no power out.

I would suggest a external meter and see what that says. I use the built in one and it's fairly accurate for quick readings when keying up. But I did the check of the antenna with a real external meter.This is a under the hood mount maybe I'll try hooking a ground to that and running it to a ground strap see what that does I guess this radio set up not to transmit on or off with hi swr so it doesn't blow the finals I have the swr on so when you pay up it show's the swr maybe that has to be off not sure will read manual again to be safe.

If I remember correctly the swr protection is set by software only and what you're turning on through the radio menu is only what it displays when you press the mic switch. Now I might be wrong but I'll verify tomorrow when I'm at my station.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?