• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

27.200, because in Poland we use "zero" channel raster since begining of CB here. Except tune 5kHz down no mods done.
Mike
That's very cool! Could you buy these with the 0 raster in Poland? Or did you do the mod to make it work there?

Hi guys,

No problems - No LC, I didn't deliberately misunderstand anything - I was given a very specific set of testing numbers to use, so I wanted to replicate it. That's all! What you want to see tested is obvious, but I think we should stick to comparing apples with apples. So to do that, I'll do this test the same way as sp5it did in his video (I have to assume a few things, because its impossible to know all the antenna variables, radio setup, etc) .

BTW - the PC122 has a fantastically selective RX - I don't expect many to perform as well as that rig does on this test.

Also, I see it is on 27.200? Did you do the UPD2816 swap @sp5it ? What other mods does it have?

Here is a Galaxy DX86V:

Here is the ARES II:

The ARES II is better than the DX86V in this test, but it is also interesting that the ARES II has software adjustable BFP filters (in engineering mode). This might have some impact on these tests and will be worth playing around with when the information becomes available - assuming they have included this adjustment item.

What other radio in this market segment can you buy today, that performs better on AM than these radio's in these tests? I'm not sure it gets any better these days? (I'm not saying that's a good thing - but is there an alternative if AM selectivity and narrower bandwidth is your thing?)

My opinion is that for the casual operator, I don't see these results as terrible. Could be tighter, yes. But could be worse, especially given the very sensitive RX on the newer rigs.

Not at all. (My 5555Nii doesn't suffer from it, I'm still trying to get my hands on one that has the issue to test this).

The ARES II RX gain is all good. See the video:

Thank you for the reply Pez.

I understand what you were saying earlier about "this market segment".

the problem is that there are no other market segments for CB radio that are creating a receiver that can compare with the designs of 40+ years ago.

Those of us in the know with technical things regarding CB radio have been watching CB receivers get more sensitive and less selective over the years and are kind of sick of it.

the whole receiver sensitivity thing has become a marketing tool used on those who don't know any better.

Show me a receiver that will hear down to -127dbm and i'll show you a receiver that can't hear anything below -115 once i plug in an antenna in the middle of nowhere.

we want less internal noise created in these designs and better selectivity.
I know we don't stand much chance of ever getting it but anyone who comes in to this forum touting a "great receiver" is going to get subjected to the same questions.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative or harsh as im just trying to put some perspective out there.

thank you for the tests you are doing!
LC

Thank you for the reply Pez.

I understand what you were saying earlier about "this market segment".

the problem is that there are no other market segments for CB radio that are creating a receiver that can compare with the designs of 40+ years ago.

Those of us in the know with technical things regarding CB radio have been watching CB receivers get more sensitive and less selective over the years and are kind of sick of it.

the whole receiver sensitivity thing has become a marketing tool used on those who don't know any better.

Show me a receiver that will hear down to -127dbm and i'll show you a receiver that can't hear anything below -115 once i plug in an antenna in the middle of nowhere.

we want less internal noise created in these designs and better selectivity.
I know we don't stand much chance of ever getting it but anyone who comes in to this forum touting a "great receiver" is going to get subjected to the same questions.

I hope this doesn't come across as negative or harsh as im just trying to put some perspective out there.

thank you for the tests you are doing!
LC
No problems LC!

I understand completely and I mostly share your views on this. I think the context was missed by some on my original comments though, as they relate to what is available now... In "this market segment" as I wrote, and all that...

I hope you can get one of these rigs on your bench to test at some point, because I am finding a really good balance between very high sensitivity (around -127dBm), and a very useable RX, even in very crowded band conditions (note: SSB use here mostly). The recovered audio is actually excellent in all modes. Frequency stability in SSB is fantastic too (same stability on all the latest Qixiang boards though).

In case you didn't see the video below, (I took this for @FredTx63 to show the noise floor) it is a pretty quiet RX here, despite the pretty high gain it has. (Note the part where I went 5kHz away from the SSB station and there was basically no hint of him - it should be that way, but I can't do that on my DX-86V!) As a SSB user I am enjoying this rigs performance for what it is. My testing is 'out of the box' performance - it has not been aligned at all.

NRC (Noise Reduction) is OFF in the video below too - a feature which IMO,
works very well on this radio (insert market segment notes - hihi!).

Last edited:
Anyone know if this radio can swing 18 - 20 watts PEP with a 2 watt or less carrier with the NPC off? I'm sure you guys know what I am getting at with this.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Its starting to get really good with the new updates. Im totally getting one. Anybody know if its the same size as a cobra 29ltd classic?

Reactions: Pez
Looks pretty neat. Though, having the ability to adjust the talkback level and other things without the software would be nice. But, I get that they were going for a classic look radio.

who the heck decided to put the mic gain where the damn clarifier should be!

here are some specs from rigpix: https://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeband/anytone_aresii.htm

1uV for 10db sinad on AM?
LC
No idea where that idea came from, but my guess is that it was done to accommodate NPC use (which I do not recommend at this point). The latest firmware fixes the clarifier issues mostly, but I agree, the clarifier should be next to the CH knob.

I will say, that after using the radio for a while now, the clarifier position has not been a problem at all, but I would still prefer it to be moved.

FYI: I have tested AM at 12dB SINAD at it's around -114.2dBm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated