• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Ssb? Ajuste para rx ou para tx?
Parece que a recepção ruidosa é muy comum.
Ajuste para rx, recepção muito ruidosa.
Parece uma fritadeira borbulhante e isto me irrita. Até parece que este rádio vem com a recepção ajustada no máximo, toda aberta ou como se tivesse pré amplificador 1 e 2, cada um aumentando 3 dbs.

Interesting day today. I was trying to have a QSO with a local that lives about 10 miles from me. I speak with him a few days a week on 23 LSB using my Anytone Q5N2 and stock mic. Today he said he can hardly read me because I was sounding so choppy. At that time I had the modulation level at 36 like I normally do and running at full power as configured by the place I got the radio. SWR was about 1.2:1 and I was running barefoot. As a test I first turned the modulation down to 20 leaving full power. He said it was a little bit better but still very choppy. So I left modulation at 20 and reduced power first by 1/2 then by 2/3. He reported this made little difference to the choppiness. He said he thinks I either have a defective/damaged mosfet or something wrong with the bias. TBH not sure what bias means but that is what he said.

I also tried running it with power as low as it will go into the KL503HD but it just amplified the original problem that may be coming from the radio.

Any advice on what I should try/do next?

Last edited:
Interesting day today. I was trying to have a QSO with a local that lives about 10 miles from me. I speak with him a few days a week on 23 LSB using my Anyone Q5N2 and stock mic. Today he said he can hardly read me because I was sounding so choppy. At that time I had the modulation level at 36 like I normally do and running at full power as configured by the place I got the radio. SWR was about 1.2:1 and I was running barefoot. As a test I first turned the modulation down to 20 leaving full power. He said it was a little bit better but still very choppy. So I left modulation at 20 and reduced power first by 1/2 then by 2/3. He reported this made little difference to the choppiness. He said he thinks I either have a defective/damaged mosfet or something wrong with the bias. TBH not sure what bias means but that is what he said.

I also tried running it with power as low as it will go into the KL503HD but it just amplified the original problem that may be coming from the radio.

Any advice on what I should try/do next?
That's a first report of that type on that radio here. Odd. At first I thought you were saying it was through the amp which makes some sense because the rm amps have reports of the choppy audio you mention. As to why the radio alone is behaving that way needs some more investigation.

What does the radio show through a meter?
How does it sound through a monitor radio?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That's a first report of that type on that radio here. Odd. At first I thought you were saying it was through the amp which makes some sense because the rm amps have reports of the choppy audio you mention. As to why the radio alone is behaving that way needs some more investigation.

What does the radio show through a meter?
How does it sound through a monitor radio?
Change the mic if you can. Might be something in the element cos I dont think it has a screen.

Reactions: Eldorado828
This morning I was able to have a QSO with a station in Northern Ireland for several minutes. This was running the Q5N2 with no help and with the Zetagi MB+5 mic instead of the stock mic. I think that's probably telling me there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the radio itself.

I have another radio due to arrive today to keep in my "shack", such as it is, to help me with this type of debugging/diagnostics. It's a President Mckinley USA version. I was going to get it for the truck but decided against that. I may hold off for a few months and see if a President Lincoln III shows up with similar specs (but lower power I am sure, which is fine) to the Q5N2. I had a Lincoln II briefly but got rid of it when I got the Q5N2. I should have kept both!

I think the McKinley has a 6 pin mic so I might be able to try it on the Q5N2 using the RJ45 adapter as well and see how it does. If/when I get all that sorted out then I will add the KL503HD to the Q5N2 mix. I will also try the McKinley with the KL503HD because I am quite sure it will not overdrive the amp. ;)

Good news is this is giving me a great excuse not to do any of the 100 things on my honey-do list. I am still definitely going out for lunch with my daughter though because that type of stuff is always at the top of my list (visiting with my kids and eating).

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
This morning I was able to have a QSO with a station in Northern Ireland for several minutes. This was running the Q5N2 with no help and with the Zetagi MB+5 mic instead of the stock mic. I think that's probably telling me there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the radio itself.

I have another radio due to arrive today to keep in my "shack", such as it is, to help me with this type of debugging/diagnostics. It's a President Mckinley USA version. I was going to get it for the truck but decided against that. I may hold off for a few months and see if a President Lincoln III shows up with similar specs (but lower power I am sure, which is fine) to the Q5N2. I had a Lincoln II briefly but got rid of it when I got the Q5N2. I should have kept both!

I think the McKinley has a 6 pin mic so I might be able to try it on the Q5N2 using the RJ45 adapter as well and see how it does. If/when I get all that sorted out then I will add the KL503HD to the Q5N2 mix. I will also try the McKinley with the KL503HD because I am quite sure it will not overdrive the amp. ;)

Good news is this is giving me a great excuse not to do any of the 100 things on my honey-do list. I am still definitely going out for lunch with my daughter though because that type of stuff is always at the top of my list (visiting with my kids and eating).
I doubt the problem is the radio itself. (It always could be, but I doubt it). I would check:

-Your ground/earthing and all RF connections. It could be some stray RF in the shack upsetting something. (Also, still keep an eye on the SWR - in case of antenna system trouble).

- Your power supply. If your shack 13.8V supply is failing, all sorts of strange things can happen (especially if you are running an amp and drawing more current).

Good luck

Reactions: TimmyTheTorch
Yep, I've believed from the start that the radio is a tad much for that amplifier. I myself own the 503hd and don't plan on trying to use it with the q5n2. Now a single final that'll swing well or maybe one of the 40 watt dual final radios.

That's just my thought for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
Yep, I've believed from the start that the radio is a tad much for that amplifier. I myself own the 503hd and don't plan on trying to use it with the q5n2. Now a single final that'll swing well or maybe one of the 40 watt dual final radios.

That's just my thought for whatever it's worst.
What are some examples of the single final radios with good swing or the 40 watt dual final radios? Motorcycle, snowmobile and car engines I'm quite well up on, not so much with electronics. I am learning, but wow what a lot to learn!

What are some examples of the single final radios with good swing or the 40 watt dual final radios? Motorcycle, snowmobile and car engines I'm quite well up on, not so much with electronics. I am learning, but wow what a lot to learn!
The lincoln you had was a prime example for a good match with that amp, the k-po 5000 and cousin quad 5 plus are dual final 40 +/- radios. In the single final you'd have to go from export to the cb realm such as the 979, 959 maybe the McKinley.

You've got too much powa for the kl , that q5n2 does excellent on it's own

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated