• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Interesting, I had it all apart before I read your reply. Looked at the board closely. All the solder connections look good. Traces look good and I noticed two resistors to the left of the PTT switch as I was following in the traces from the channel switches. I assume they are there for precisely what you were talking about. I did not clean the switches. I can tell you that there’s nothing worse than DXing a crossed the pond, talking away, and looking down to see you’re talking into a black hole.
That would be annoying!

Yes, those 2 x resistors are for exactly that. One is UP, the other is DN. FYI, You can disable the UP DN buttons on the mic by snipping each resistor. However, if the problem is caused by something else (like the extra unwanted resistance occurring in a faulty PTT switch, or unwanted resistance in a failing curly cord), then the problem will still occur.

That would be annoying!

Yes, those 2 x resistors are for exactly that. One is UP, the other is DN. FYI, You can disable the UP DN buttons on the mic by snipping each resistor. However, if the problem is caused by something else (like the extra unwanted resistance occurring in a faulty PTT switch, or unwanted resistance in a failing curly cord), then the problem will still occur.
That is an option. I could also just take them loose I suppose. I doubt or don’t know if they make an adapter that goes from the Q6 mic to the Q5, but if they did, I could use that to either confirm or eliminate the Mike as the problem. I have a Q6 Mic. I just thinking out loud.

That is an option. I could also just take them loose I suppose. I doubt or don’t know if they make an adapter that goes from the Q6 mic to the Q5, but if they did, I could use that to either confirm or eliminate the Mike as the problem. I have a Q6 Mic. I just thinking out loud.
Just had a thought. I’m wondering if I could just unplug the cord from the board on each of the mics and switch them? I could either switch the chord or the board or both. They appear identical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez
Just had a thought. I’m wondering if I could just unplug the cord from the board on each of the mics and switch them? I could either switch the chord or the board or both. They appear identical.
I think they are the same. I would just swap the cords, I don't see any real risk in trying this. (y)

Reactions: Buffalo
I’ve had my Q5 N2 since Christmas no problems whatsoever. Until a few days ago, it started switching channels on me while talking. I thought at first maybe I was just being clumsy and hitting the channel buttons. But I’ve been watching close and it happens when I key the microphone. There’s apparently something wrong with the microphone, randomly . Has anybody else had this problem?
Or the channel encoder optical disc is loose.

Or the channel encoder optical disc is loose.
I hate it when that happens!!! Since I disassembled and reassembled the mic last night I haven’t experienced the issue today at all. But we will see. What in the world is a channel encoder optical disk?

I have been contacting a bunch of different folks that repair radios. So far I have only found two that will even talk to me about the SSB modulation issue I am having on my Q5N2 but it's a start. Note that the radio did not come with this issue. I believe it's a self-inflicted byproduct of most likely a station issue or less likely an amp issue. I'm treating it as the former until I eliminate everything I can on this end of things.

One of the techs asked me the following:

Have you measured the bias voltage on the IRF520 gate lead(s)? It should be about 3.5 Volts on SSB with mic keyed and no modulation/audio.

I have not yet but I want to. However, I am not sure how to safely do this.

Do I connect the DIMM's positive to gate and negative to source? Do I perform the bias voltage test on all four IRF520s that are in the Q5N2?

I have been contacting a bunch of different folks that repair radios. So far I have only found two that will even talk to me about the SSB modulation issue I am having on my Q5N2 but it's a start. Note that the radio did not come with this issue. I believe it's a self-inflicted byproduct of most likely a station issue or less likely an amp issue. I'm treating it as the former until I eliminate everything I can on this end of things.

One of the techs asked me the following:

Have you measured the bias voltage on the IRF520 gate lead(s)? It should be about 3.5 Volts on SSB with mic keyed and no modulation/audio.

I have not yet but I want to. However, I am not sure how to safely do this.

Do I connect the DIMM's positive to gate and negative to source? Do I perform the bias voltage test on all four IRF520s that are in the Q5N2?
There's a video by Mark on the v2 955 and how to adjustment bias correctly. I'll see if I can find it and will share it here.
Have you tried the place where @Greg T had his 955v2 serviced? Maybe they can take a look at it.

We Electronics is one of Strikers authorized service centers and handles their warranties. Treated me really really well and I'm impressed. It would not hurt, if you have an issue to give Greg a call down there. I can get you the number if you would like to. Just let me know

We Electronics is one of Strikers authorized service centers and handles their warranties. Treated me really really well and I'm impressed. It would not hurt, if you have an issue to give Greg a call down there. I can get you the number if you would like to. Just let me know
Yes, please do. Yupers are always ready to help someone in need. :)

And thank you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated