• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Buffalo, was it NPC? (Negative Peak Compression) if so, i don't think you want it. from what i heard it causes distortion even when adjusting modulation with NPC enabled.

if it were me, i would take/ship it to someone who is familiar with these newer, menu driven service adjustment radios. Michal from Scott's Radios LLC comes to mind. he has a ton of video on youtube.

seems out of the box the AT-5555n II's under-modulate AM, with too high a dead key at max power. they also severely over-modulate SSB. dunno about FM.

if anyone is considering this radio, i wouldn't suggest purchasing without a proper alignment. these are not good out of the box IMO.

Yes sir, negative peak compression NPC is it. The guy in the video agreed with you and didn’t recommend using it for the same reasons you mentioned. Actually I very seldom use AM. So not sure why it even peaked my interest. Maybe Anytone will improve on the feature in the future. Really no issues here with my Q5N2s.

To be honest, my stock mic works great too but sometimes I just can't leave well-enough alone. Tinkering and puttering about are two lifelong afflictions.
Hi all. I'm new to hf ops, and I just took delivery of my Q5NII yesterday. Going through the function menus I noticed that mic type on my radio is set to "dynamic". It seems that I saw a video somewhere that states that the stock mic is electret. What type of mic comes with this radio? Thanks! --Rob

Hi all. I'm new to hf ops, and I just took delivery of my Q5NII yesterday. Going through the function menus I noticed that mic type on my radio is set to "dynamic". It seems that I saw a video somewhere that states that the stock mic is electret. What type of mic comes with this radio? Thanks! --Rob
The stock mic is a electret microphone

Reactions: Pez and rowemesp
Hmmm, maybe I’m getting longer winded these days. Really don’t know what the issue is but a few times my transmit has gone dead and a message pops up. But my immediate reaction has been to immediately unkey without reading the warning. One of my suspicions was TOT shut down which I had left on default of 180S. I guess it could be that. SWR or voltage are the other considerations. I think I will set TOT down as low as it will go and test that as I did get a glimpse of the warning screen each time.

Hmmm, maybe I’m getting longer winded these days. Really don’t know what the issue is but a few times my transmit has gone dead and a message pops up. But my immediate reaction has been to immediately unkey without reading the warning. One of my suspicions was TOT shut down which I had left on default of 180S. I guess it could be that. SWR or voltage are the other considerations. I think I will set TOT down as low as it will go and test that as I did get a glimpse of the warning screen each time.
swr is high radio will shut down no transmit

Reactions: Elliott Hart
I have a couple local friends with the 5555 N2, and they are spot on frequency talking SSB. Their radios have not been tuned/aligned...just converted.

Skip was rolling heavy here in NC yesterday evening. Heard three different 5555 N2 radios, and they were all just a tad slow on transmit with no drifting. Two of three people said they were just converted...no tune up. The other did not know since he bought it used.

Anyway, the two that said they had just converted the radio, and started using it, also said they were running the radio wide open on SSB. One was driving a four transistor, and the other was barefoot.

I thought these radios were spot on from the factory, but maybe some do need an alignment. I do remember hearing Scotts Radios saying not to run the radios wide open on SSB or AM...can't remember.

I have a couple local friends with the 5555 N2, and they are spot on frequency talking SSB. Their radios have not been tuned/aligned...just converted.

Skip was rolling heavy here in NC yesterday evening. Heard three different 5555 N2 radios, and they were all just a tad slow on transmit with no drifting. Two of three people said they were just converted...no tune up. The other did not know since he bought it used.

Anyway, the two that said they had just converted the radio, and started using it, also said they were running the radio wide open on SSB. One was driving a four transistor, and the other was barefoot.

I thought these radios were spot on from the factory, but maybe some do need an alignment. I do remember hearing Scotts Radios saying not to run the radios wide open on SSB or AM...can't remember.
I can only speak from my experience but can say both the q5n2 and 7900v turbo after Scott's alignment perform beautifully. WIDE OPEN on ssb without a problem!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?