• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

So on Q5N2, to access service menu, you hold in menu and mode buttons and then power up radio, then push sequentially the next 6 buttons to enter service menu. That works fine for me. Then turn channel selector knob to cycle through menu items. Works fine for me. The part I'm not figuring here is how to enter into a specific menu item and make changes. If Im on, lets say for example AMlowpower, how do I get into that to make changes. If I push the channel knob, it does not enter into AMlowpower, it just goes to next menu item. Ive tried lots of different buttons and held channel knob in for longer etc, but nothing gets me into a specific menu choice to make a change. Maybe it's just too obvious for my worn out old brain. Can anyone help me here?
I think you have to hold microphone like you would talk and then change values with channel knob. Make sure to write down all stock menu numbers so just in the case something is not working like it should you can put radio back to stock. I wrote down all of the menu options just in the case, I think around 60 of them in there. It was pain in the ass but better be safe then sorry.

Reactions: FredTx63
I think you have to key the microphone/hold it and then change values with channel knob. Make sure to write down all stock menu numbers so just in the case something is not working like it should you can put radio back to stock. I wrote down all of the menu options just in the case, I think around 60 of them in there. It was pain in the ass but better be safe then sorry.

I tried your suggestion using the mic, and yeah, now if I key the mic, I can change the values. Wow, crazy system. Thanks
Probably to prevent people from accidentally changing settings without realizing it.

I cranked RXBPF to 255 and I like the sound better. To me the sound on this radio feels kind of thin and "far away" even with the volume up. Still could use some more low end but definitely an improvement.

Anyone know what AMTONE/FMTONE/USBTONE/LSBTONE do?

Probably to prevent people from accidentally changing settings without realizing it.

I cranked RXBPF to 255 and I like the sound better. To me the sound on this radio feels kind of thin and "far away" even with the volume up. Still could use some more low end but definitely an improvement.

I'm curious, what other changes did you make? I haven't gone into the service menu, and don't plan on doing so, but I am curious.

Reactions: Eldorado828

I saw that. Maybe it's switching in some different AF filtering caps for less top end cutoff? I didn't think a $260 radio would be doing anything more elaborate like separate physical filters. Did you see Pez's AF analysis of RX audio before/after making the change above?

I had planned to route the external speaker jack to my PC & look at the RX audio characteristics when I had more time.

Interesting. I'm usually not that vulnerable to placebo. SSB RX audio sounded slightly different to me after maxing the setting. Well dang. Either way, still not as impressed with the receiver as everyone else is. Still really cool radio for the money.

My 555N II keeps the modified setting for TXBPF even after power cycle.

Last edited:
Fred,

i hope you didn't take my post as being antagonistic. it was not meant that way.
as far as i understand it, changing the settings in that menu doesn't change a darn thing.
LC

No, I'm not certain what the settings are actually doing on the 955v2, just that initially it was advertised that you could bring TX/RX out to 4k. Could be that it's more of an EQ - which I personally would still like to have.

I've been using Amateur HF transceivers & SDRs for years so I much prefer a fuller/wider receive than what most of these Qixiang radios have. The RX audio on these radios (not just the 5555 NII, but similar exports) sounds "thin" and obviously lacking in low-end.

Anytone states N II SSB receive is 450-2500hz. That'd explain what I'm hearing.
Audio wise assuming the other persons radio has enough receive audio bandwidth to benefit you really need to get the -3db point to about 4500 to make it really sound noticeably improved.

My voice is so deep and the CB can not capture and transmit anything close to my voice I sound completely different on air. Think Earl Jones aka Darth Vadder. My voice sounds much better on CB since it takes out a lot of the lows. In fact I work hard to get less lows and more highs when I recap a radio. While I do not want to be as harsh as a cell phone speaker I also do not want to sound like a broadcast station since that wastes my limited power and compromised antenna system. I want to be heard and understood above all else. No free lunch in this world!

I would love eSSB but only if all other radio's were set up to benefit from it otherwise again it is just a waste.

If ever I decided to build an AM only local only rag chewing radio I could maybe see it but I doubt that day will ever come!

Fred,

i hope you didn't take my post as being antagonistic. it was not meant that way.
as far as i understand it, changing the settings in that menu doesn't change a darn thing.
LC

Nope - didn't take it that way. Appreciate you sharing that video, I hadn't seen it.

Audio wise assuming the other persons radio has enough receive audio bandwidth to benefit you really need to get the -3db point to about 4500 to make it really sound noticeably improved.

My voice is so deep and the CB can not capture and transmit anything close to my voice I sound completely different on air. Think Earl Jones aka Darth Vadder. My voice sounds much better on CB since it takes out a lot of the lows. In fact I work hard to get less lows and more highs when I recap a radio. While I do not want to be as harsh as a cell phone speaker I also do not want to sound like a broadcast station since that wastes my limited power and compromised antenna system. I want to be heard and understood above all else. No free lunch in this world!

I would love eSSB but only if all other radio's were set up to benefit from it otherwise again it is just a waste.

If ever I decided to build an AM only local only rag chewing radio I could maybe see it but I doubt that day will ever come!
All good points. I don't think anyone NEEDS ESSB RX/TX in the mobile. But I will say even 100hz-3khz (FT-891 on "wide", I know I know $650 Yaesu triple conversion receiver vs. $260 dual conversion "export") sound so much better than these Quixang radios to me. Even just listening to the static... Less fatiguing. And then if someone comes on with nice full bodied audio, it really sounds great.

I think I'm just spoiled to Anan, Airspy, etc. on the base. Heck even an AM only Cobra 29 with caps changed up for a little more low end and a bit more top end sparkle is less fatiguing to listen to than stock.

I had pondered putting this 5555N II in the mobile in place of my FT-891 since it's bound to have better AM TX and has weather (like to dink around on 11m AM while driving sometimes). Maybe I'll still try it and see if I can get used to the RX.

Last edited:
Having some combo of notch filter, band pass, DSP and parametric EQ on output to a large external speaker would be useful. In this way you could mix and match to get the best possible combination for intelligibility.

On the aduio side for tx changing the filter caps for a modest change would be as good as it get's. Changing filters would not be wise as it would not do much for you on most receivers in fact you could sound worse not better and your effective use of rf power would also be diminished on air for all that had a stock radio.

That is why hifi audio is largely a waste for 99% of applications. Likewise asymmetric modulation is of limited use for most people. When properly executed it can sound great but it is seldom executed well and for the most part what we see and hear are splatter boxes. When done well you can sound like Motor Mouth Maul.

Most people would do better to use a phase rotation symmetry system going into some form of compression that could be set to the parameters of their specific voice and the specific parameters of the audio chain of the radio they are using! Wow that was a run-on sentence! It would not sound as good on air but it would walk and talk and use your power efficiently!

When I use the above people always think I sound FANTASTIC. That is not really true I just sound different than 99.9% of people on CB. In fact a lot of guys sound way better than I do what they really mean but can not put their finger on is that I am easy to understand and my audio pop's out very clean and clear.

Explore all the options in audio not just a monkey see monkey do situation! There are many ways to be heard and sound good. Given the limitations of CB and CB gear compared to amateur gear often less is more!

Thanks for the testing & info, Pez! That's encouraging. I wonder why they choose not to add much lower end frequencies when you widen up the receive? I guess to make receive more intelligible. I would prefer a low end closer to 100hz but hey, at least this is something! Opening up the low end response may require the standard capacitance changes required on other radios.
Low freq. are not very intelligible and do not carry any real data for speech. Sounding like broadcast radio is not the best thing for being heard and understood on air with 4 watts! It takes a lot of audio bandwidth to carry all of that "sounds good" but non-essential data that is lows. It also takes high fidelity audio amp and filtering. It is easy to implement when stations power, physical locations, numbers of stations are all tightly controlled. It is easy to do when you are not concerned about adjacent channel rejection from stations that might be a few feet apart on the hwy or inside of a town or city.

CB's and export radio's have really cheap poorly designed receivers. Look at the problem they have handling bleedover from adjacent channels under less than ideal conditions from stock radio's let alone golden screw driver radio's!

Getting the -3db point to 4500 is where the magic starts to happen not getting the bottom end increased. Lowering the bottom end for anything other than local rag chewing is a complete waste of time on air. Unless you failed to go through puberty as a man you really have too much bass in your voice for ideal CB radio communication. Get the 3 db down point up to 4500 and you will be amazed at how life like you sound on air.

It takes too much work and money and power to make hifi really sound good and even then if the other radio's are stock a lot of it is wasted. MotorMouthMaul MMM does not sound any where near as good on a stock CB as he does on Youtube video gates or on SDR's or amatuer radio gear.

A lot of serious hifi guys are on amatuer gear or old tube gear that has been heavily modified and has really wide audio and rf bandwidth for rx and tx!

If all you want to do is sound good on channel 6 talking to other alligator stations you should consider building a setup just for that and nothing else. Nothing like ruining your daily driver so the 2x a year you take her to the track she performs. Ever notice when guys want to show how good their "hifi" CB sounds they demonstrate it by using an amatuer radio for recieive audio???

So on Q5N2, to access service menu, you hold in menu and mode buttons and then power up radio, then push sequentially the next 6 buttons to enter service menu. That works fine for me. Then turn channel selector knob to cycle through menu items. Works fine for me. The part I'm not figuring here is how to enter into a specific menu item and make changes. If Im on, lets say for example AMlowpower, how do I get into that to make changes. If I push the channel knob, it does not enter into AMlowpower, it just goes to next menu item. Ive tried lots of different buttons and held channel knob in for longer etc, but nothing gets me into a specific menu choice to make a change. Maybe it's just too obvious for my worn out old brain. Can anyone help me here?
Hold PTT + turn CH knob +/- to change settings. (Or, Hold PTT + press Mic UP DN buttons).

All good points. I don't think anyone NEEDS ESSB RX/TX in the mobile. But I will say even 100hz-3khz (FT-891 on "wide", I know I know $650 Yaesu triple conversion receiver vs. $260 dual conversion "export") sound so much better than these Quixang radios to me. Even just listening to the static... Less fatiguing. And then if someone comes on with nice full bodied audio, it really sounds great.

I think I'm just spoiled to Anan, Airspy, etc. on the base. Heck even an AM only Cobra 29 with caps changed up for a little more low end and a bit more top end sparkle is less fatiguing to listen to than stock.

I had pondered putting this 5555N II in the mobile in place of my FT-891 since it's bound to have better AM TX and has weather (like to dink around on 11m AM while driving sometimes). Maybe I'll still try it and see if I can get used to the RX.
Interesting on your thoughts here. I am the finding my AT5555Nii the opposite - I prefer its RX audio over many radio, including an FT450D, an FTDX10 and even my TS990S which it sits next too. I would say it has the quietest, non-fatiguing RX audio of most, if not all other 11/10 rigs.
However none of these sound as good as my Elad FDM-DUO with SW2 software - that RX is amazing. :) But the AT5555Nii is one of my all time favorites. YMMV I guess!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.