• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

Does the 5555NII v2 have the issue with the NB causing problems on SSB when turned on like v1 or was it fixed?

Thanks,
Dr_DX

I am considering getting one if the NB On issue on SSB has been fixed. I wonder if Scott has run across this on his bench.

Members with the issue:
Big Lou - posts #56, 63, and 210
Pez - #209, 211, 214, and 215

I don't consider NOT running the NB on SSB a solution.

Thanks,
Dr_DX

You should give him a call. His number is on his website. I haven't had any issues with my radio, whether it be NB, NR, or any other features for that matter.
He should be able to help you out.

Reactions: Eldorado828
So, I have the Q5N2, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm now running mine with a Ur6qw 8 band equilizer along with a Yaesu YM-33 dynamic desk mic. Nothing but flowers on the audio there. So, I'm curious about opening up tx bandwidth via the service menu. I dont know what these radio's do stock, but I'm guessing it's around 2.4khz tx bw. I'm wondering if anyone's experimented a bit here, and opened it up more. I'm thinking I'd like around 4 khz tx bandwidth like my Yaesu 3K FTDX does. I know entering service menu is dangerous and that the values in the menu settings are factory set to each individual radio, but I'm still curious to know if anyones been into the service menu and widened up the audio a bit?
999,BC,Canada

Anytone AT-6666 or AT-5555N 2? Which one is better?
If space isn't a problem, the 5555NII hands down! Easier to operate mobile, about the same power, same price, it sounds better with many common microphones, etc. If space is a concern, you can't go wrong with a 6666. Mic adapters are readily available for both radios so you can use your favorite microphone.
JMHO YMMV!

JD

Reactions: Eldorado828
I own the crt 7900v turbo, 5555n2, and 2 quad 6's. Both chassis are as best as you can get from an export these days. The quad 5 variants have an upper edge in the receiver department though. The receive filters on the quad 5 flavors are a complete game changer, especially on ssb. The quad 5 also has some other features that the quad 6 doesn't. Again, both are top notch but as @jdchet mentioned also if size is part of your equation then choose what works for you. You cannot go wrong with either.

So, I have the Q5N2, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I'm now running mine with a Ur6qw 8 band equilizer along with a Yaesu YM-33 dynamic desk mic. Nothing but flowers on the audio there. So, I'm curious about opening up tx bandwidth via the service menu. I dont know what these radio's do stock, but I'm guessing it's around 2.4khz tx bw. I'm wondering if anyone's experimented a bit here, and opened it up more. I'm thinking I'd like around 4 khz tx bandwidth like my Yaesu 3K FTDX does. I know entering service menu is dangerous and that the values in the menu settings are factory set to each individual radio, but I'm still curious to know if anyones been into the service menu and widened up the audio a bit?
999,BC,Canada
Check out the 5555plus thread. I don't know how similar the menus are but the rigs are primarily the same chassis, it might be worth your read over there.
It's pretty easy on the 5555plus to open up the SSB band pass filters.
Oh by the way the analog filter in this rig is the same one been used in every export since the dawn of time....it's just a plain old 10M4D filter, about a 4k wide filter.
73 Panic Attack

I own the crt 7900v turbo, 5555n2, and 2 quad 6's. Both chassis are as best as you can get from an export these days. The quad 5 variants have an upper edge in the receiver department though. The receive filters on the quad 5 flavors are a complete game changer, especially on ssb. The quad 5 also has some other features that the quad 6 doesn't. Again, both are top notch but as @jdchet mentioned also if size is part of your equation then choose what works for you. You cannot go wrong with either.
I think my 6666 has better AM adjacent channel rejection than my 5555plus. But as stated above they are the best rigs out right now. I love the Anytone offerings right now! Buy all three 5555plusN, 6666, and the 5555N2!
I'm after a 5555N2 next!

I think my 6666 has better AM adjacent channel rejection than my 5555plus. But as stated above they are the best rigs out right now. I love the Anytone offerings right now! Buy all three 5555plusN, 6666, and the 5555N2!
I'm after a 5555N2 next!
Have yet to find the Plus/N. The plus has been available for a few month and word was the plus/n would be in October but I haven seen them.

Have yet to find the Plus/N. The plus has been available for a few month and word was the plus/n would be in October but I haven seen them.
I haven't looked for a Plus\N since I bought the Plus. I wish they would become available! I really wanted the NR circuit but couldn't find a N2 or Plus\N when I made my purchase. I don't really care for banded radios but man I'm liking the 5555plus and the 60 channel programming helps me get over the bands, and believe it or not I like the clicky clarifier. It's really nice and the 10hz resolution is fine for SSB.

. K-PO was first radio that had circuit board installed that is used in 5555N II, Stryker 955, Anytone 5555 plus i think. They differ with some functions, good radios also.

I am considering getting one if the NB On issue on SSB has been fixed. I wonder if Scott has run across this on his bench.

Members with the issue:
Big Lou - posts #56, 63, and 210
Pez - #209, 211, 214, and 215

I don't consider NOT running the NB on SSB a solution.

Thanks,
Dr_DX
Hi Dr DX,

The NB "issue" isn't actually an issue. (Note, we are talking about the NB NOISE BLANKER here, not the NR NOISE REDUCTION which is a totally different setting on the AT5555N2). In general, ALL NB noise blankers cause some artefacts/distortion on strong RX signals. The level varies depending on how the NB has been implemented, and how well it actually works!
In the case of the AT5555N2, the NB works extremely well at supressing pulse noise, just like it is designed to do. Probably one of the best in any recent radio I have used.

HOWEVER: because the 5555N2 NB seems to work at the IF level, across the entire IF spectrum, the down side is that large signals on adjacent frequencies can sometimes be heard, bleeding over, at a low levels, when the NB is turned ON. This is especially the case when the NB is ON unnecessarily, when the radio has no actual pulse noise to work against, as it will then start attacking voice signals, because that's all it can really do!

The moral of the story is to use NB ONLY when it's needed, and don't use it when it's not.

I hope that helps. I think you would be extremely impressed with the AT5555N2. It is an awesome radio.

Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.