• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

I have used it on my Lincoln+2 with an adapter, should work the same on the 6666, although I have not tried it. I think there is enough room to put channel buttons, I will crack one open and snap some pictures.
Should have one here today or tomorrow and I'll do some experiments with it.
I had one here that looks identical but opened it and found a dynamic element so it's a different mic I guess. Hopefully the one coming is a condenser mic.

Care to share the modification you made to your m104m6 hand mic? I know D-rail sells modded m104m6 hand mics with modded V1 strykers. I know they can sound good.
I took a brand new 104m6 and replaced the innards with a new old stock board. The nos board has the good switch and a few components are different from the current one. Sounds great, works great and behaves well with the q5n2. I guess it's only slightly modified.

Reactions: FredTx63
I have one of these radios (the Q5N2) ordered, and will get it sometime next week. I have a quickie question for those familiar with this rig.

I've owned all the inital 10/11 radios since the 80's, including the HR2510, RCI-2950. the Emperor 5010, Magnum 257, etc... I am familiar with optimizing them for proper swing and obtaining consistent modulation on hi power, verses low power, yada... yada... yada...

I haven't spent the time required to peruse through this 25 page thread, so I was just wondering if someone could save me some time and tell me, are power adjustments and modulation levels simply adjusted in the service menu on this radio, rather than internally, via VR adjustments?

And by the way, when I say "modulation levels", I'm talking about what the AMC and ALC controls, as opposed to simple "mic gain" which I assume can be found in the standard (not service) menu.

I saw a photo of the insides, but it wasn't a great shot, and I couldn't tell for certain. It looks like everything is microscopic SMT and that there are no VR's or cans to make the adjustments.

So... In a nutshell, can ALL alignment adjustments be made within the service menu? And if so, yea, I know all about NOT messing with anything that I am not thoroughly familiar with, and also to copy all the current settings before ever doing anything.

Thanks, and 73's to all...

DALLAS

Last edited:
I have one of these radios (the Q5N2) ordered, and will get it sometime next week. I have a quickie question for those familiar with this rig.

I've owned all the inital 10/11 radios since the 80's, including the HR2510, RCI-2950. the Emperor 5010, Magnum 257, etc... I am familiar with optimizing them for proper swing and obtaining consistent modulation on hi power, verses low power, yada... yada... yada...

I haven't spent the time required to peruse through this 25 page thread, so I was just wondering if someone could save me some time and tell me, are power adjustments and modulation levels simply adjusted in the service menu on this radio, rather than internally, via VR adjustments?

And by the way, when I say "modulation levels", I'm talking about what the AMC and ALC controls, as opposed to simple "mic gain" which I assume can be found in the standard (not service) menu.

I saw a photo of the insides, but it wasn't a great shot, and I couldn't tell for certain. It looks like everything is microscopic SMT and that there are no VR's or cans to make the adjustments.

So... In a nutshell, can ALL alignment adjustments be made within the service menu? And if so, yea, I know all about NOT messing with anything that I am not thoroughly familiar with, and also to copy all the current settings before ever doing anything.

Thanks, and 73's to all...

DALLAS
These radios work very well right out of the box. Can they use a little tweaking? Probably. If I may suggest, go to Scotts Radios YouTube page and watch some of his videos on this radio. He does address some of the shortcomings of the factory tune, especially on the SSB side. If you have all the proper equipment these tweaks look like they would be they would be easy(I'm no tech)! Going back over this thread would also be beneficial as a few techs have posted with their findings and opinions. I have found the radio to be one of the better export radios to come out in quite some time. YMMV!

JD

These radios work very well right out of the box. Can they use a little tweaking? Probably. If I may suggest, go to Scotts Radios YouTube page and watch some of his videos on this radio. He does address some of the shortcomings of the factory tune, especially on the SSB side. If you have all the proper equipment these tweaks look like they would be they would be easy(I'm no tech)! Going back over this thread would also be beneficial as a few techs have posted with their findings and opinions. I have found the radio to be one of the better export radios to come out in quite some time. YMMV!

JD
Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I've read a lot of good things about this radio since the new version came out. Truth is, I have an IC-7610, but with the way things are looking, I want to ensure that I have a good back up communications transceiver. That way, if anything happens to my Icom (like an EMP or general failure of some kind), I'll still have a plan B radio.

The central reason for my post, was just to find out if all adjustments are made via the service menu, unlike most of the previous 10/11/12 meter transceiver incarnations.

And yes, one of the reasons I wanted the radio is because they are said to be good right out of the box. The only real improvement I'd be likely to want, is to ensure 100% modulation. Based on what I saw on Youtube after my last post, it looks like they do need to be adjusted a bit, to accomplish that.

I'm not interested in "more power", per se, etc... 60W is enough for my purposes. But I might want to turn down the AM dead key a bit, and see if I can balance out the high power modulation with the low power modulation, since it appears this radio makes provisions to adjust both. I'd like it to modulate equally whether turned up, or down.

I'm mostly just interested in making it shine on SSB, since I rarely use AM/FM, although it'd be nice to optimize those as well. Probably going to get a mic adapter so that I can run a good microphone on it. I'll make sure to change the EL/DYN setting if necessary.

Looking forward to receiving the radio next week. Will come back and visit the thread again.

DALLAS

Thanks Dr_DX.

I can guarantee you that you that the NB performance "issue" (which is not really an "issue"!) exists on every single AT-5555Nii (NiiV1 and NiiV2) / SS 7900V Turbo / Stryker 955 V2. It's in the firmware, which is common to all of these radios and controls how the NB works.

Depending on the type of noise the radio is trying to blank, and how wide (how much bandwidth) that noise occupies, and how much activity there is (or isn't) on adjacent frequencies, will determine if you hear the symptoms that have been discussed, or not at all. (Some people will notice it sometimes - others never will!)

FYI, There is no difference to the NB performance in firmware between the AT-5555Nii versions. (Nii V1 and Nii V2). The fundamental differences between these NiiV1 and NiiV2 radios is only firmware - and you can update them as you wish. No change to NB.

The AT-5555N (original / old version) I don't have here to test, but if it has any NB issues they will be a totally different animal, because the PCB and firmware is all 100% new in the Nii. It's a different radio.

From my previous posts on this:

The NB "issue" isn't actually an issue. (Note, we are talking about the NB NOISE BLANKER here, not the NR NOISE REDUCTION which is a totally different setting on the AT5555N2). In general, ALL NB noise blankers cause some artefacts/distortion on strong RX signals. The level varies depending on how the NB has been implemented, and how well it actually works!
In the case of the AT5555N2, the NB works extremely well at supressing pulse noise, just like it is designed to do. Probably one of the best in any recent radio I have used.

HOWEVER: because the 5555N2 NB seems to work at the IF level, across the entire IF spectrum, the down side is that large signals on adjacent frequencies can sometimes be heard, bleeding over, at a low levels, when the NB is turned ON. This is especially the case when the NB is ON unnecessarily, when the radio has no actual pulse noise to work against, as it will then start attacking voice signals, because that's all it can really do!

The moral of the story is to use NB ONLY when it's needed, and don't use it when it's not.

Cheers,
Pez
I couldn't explain this any better than you did. I run 5555 NII v1 in the house with NB when gardeners are showing up with blowers, hahah works awesome. I made video just for fun.

When they're gone, NB is off so I don't get that bleeding from other stations. I have CRT SS9900 in the car and issue is the same with NB aldo radio is different. Those 2 radios with correct alignment and beeing stock working grate for me. For the price can't bet it. Grate forum guys. My complaint for the radio is luggy RB after releasing key and that crazy beep sound option, so loud. I was trying to figure out if there is a way to lower that key beep volume to like 25% in the engineering menu but I couldn't find anything related to it, haha. I bet it can only be done in the firmware of the radio. Also I was looking for v2 firmware update for my 5555 N II v1 radio so I can get those extra 2 bands K&L but I didn't see any release from Anytone. 73's for now. Have fun with skip.

Hey, thanks for the response. Yeah, I've read a lot of good things about this radio since the new version came out. Truth is, I have an IC-7610, but with the way things are looking, I want to ensure that I have a good back up communications transceiver. That way, if anything happens to my Icom (like an EMP or general failure of some kind), I'll still have a plan B radio.

The central reason for my post, was just to find out if all adjustments are made via the service menu, unlike most of the previous 10/11/12 meter transceiver incarnations.

And yes, one of the reasons I wanted the radio is because they are said to be good right out of the box. The only real improvement I'd be likely to want, is to ensure 100% modulation. Based on what I saw on Youtube after my last post, it looks like they do need to be adjusted a bit, to accomplish that.

I'm not interested in "more power", per se, etc... 60W is enough for my purposes. But I might want to turn down the AM dead key a bit, and see if I can balance out the high power modulation with the low power modulation, since it appears this radio makes provisions to adjust both. I'd like it to modulate equally whether turned up, or down.

I'm mostly just interested in making it shine on SSB, since I rarely use AM/FM, although it'd be nice to optimize those as well. Probably going to get a mic adapter so that I can run a good microphone on it. I'll make sure to change the EL/DYN setting if necessary.

Looking forward to receiving the radio next week. Will come back and visit the thread again.

DALLAS
Not the expert so don't crucify me guys, but this is how you have to look at this radio. Its built like a cellphone or computer board with SMD technology. Computer motherboard has a BIOS to run the board, and this radio has its firmware. Not knowing what each option does in the ING menu can make this radio run like crap. To change anything, you have to have scope and other tools to see actual values that you can adjust to your needs. You can mess with power output on SSB, AM etc and you can see value changing on basic watt meter but modulation will drop so then to adjust modulation at low power output to your needs you have to have scopes and other tools to adjust it properly. Very simple example is when I worked with cars in 80's I could get screwdriver and adjust fuel mixture in carburetor and smell fumes to see if I run rich or lean hahah, Now to make any changes to fuel mixture in current production cars with all the computers in it 70-104 in one car, I have to have a laptop with software that costs $4k so I can see what the computer is doing when I change input in it so I don't blow the engine apart hahaha. Same with this radios, you changing input in ING menu, but you have to have a tool to see the output in wave form, etc. And that's where good cb tech comes in handy. I hope this is not going to make anybody mad. In Any other explanation will be more then welcome, just trying to help others with what I know. If I made some statement that makes no sense, please correct it. I almost forgot to add that if you buy any radio like that from Amazon or eBay, make sure that has not been opened before, people are messing with those radios and then when not working correctly, returning them and then another guy who bought it has headache and bad experience with the radio. especially this new radios with ING menus. 73's

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Not the expert so don't crucify me guys, but this is how you have to look at this radio. Its built like a cellphone or computer board with SMD technology. Computer motherboard has a BIOS to run the board, and this radio has its firmware. Not knowing what each option does in the ING menu can make this radio run like crap. To change anything, you have to have scope and other tools to see actual values that you can adjust to your needs. You can mess with power output on SSB, AM etc and you can see value changing on basic watt meter but modulation will drop so then to adjust modulation at low power output to your needs you have to have scopes and other tools to adjust it properly. Very simple example is when I worked with cars in 80's I could get screwdriver and adjust fuel mixture in carburetor and smell fumes to see if I run rich or lean hahah, Now to make any changes to fuel mixture in current production cars with all the computers in it 70-104 in one car, I have to have a laptop with software that costs $4k so I can see what the computer is doing when I change input in it so I don't blow the engine apart hahaha. Same with this radios, you changing input in ING menu, but you have to have a tool to see the output in wave form, etc. And that's where good cb tech comes in handy. I hope this is not going to make anybody mad. In Any other explanation will be more then welcome, just trying to help others with what I know. If I made some statement that makes no sense, please correct it. I almost forgot to add that if you buy any radio like that from Amazon or eBay, make sure that has not been opened before, people are messing with those radios and then when not working correctly, returning them and then another guy who bought it has headache and bad experience with the radio. especially this new radios with ING menus. 73's

I have a scope, spectrum analyzer, and and a signal generator.

The main gist of my initial post, was just to find out if this radio had service menu alignment exclusively, or if there were any internal alignment components, like VR's, Loops, etc...

I'm sure that even with the SMT board and components there are still test points, for some alignment procedures. I would never even do ANY alignment procedures on a transceiver, unless I had the specs in front of me.

So, just to avoid confusion, my only interest was finding out if this radio is strictly service menu adjusted, or if there were any old school component adjustments. I have since gotten my desired information, but appreciate your comments nonetheless.

73's...

Reactions: WK766

The main gist of my initial post, was just to find out if this radio had service menu alignment exclusively, or if there were any internal alignment components, like VR's, Loops, etc...

I'm sure that even with the SMT board and components there are still test points, for some alignment procedures. I would never even do ANY alignment procedures on a transceiver, unless I had the specs in front of me.

So, just to avoid confusion, my only interest was finding out if this radio is strictly service menu adjusted, or if there were any old school component adjustments. I have since gotten my desired information, but appreciate your comments nonetheless.

73's...
You have all the correct gear. And it is 100% adjusted in the service menu. There are no internal adjustment points (other than the wire and jumper for band / export selection). There are test points, you probably won't need them - mine works so well out of the box on all modes that it just didn't need anything adjusted at all! Mine is mostly used on SSB.

Reactions: Brother DXer

73's...

73's...
No problem. On page 3 of this forum I posted pictures of the internals of this radio. May help you visually to see what's up in the radio. 73.

If anyone can figure out how to lover volume of the beep function let me know. Not sure if that is even possible with in ING menu.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.