• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

This was posted in another thread but needs to be posted here.

This is regarding the high Noise floor on later runs of the Q5N2 that users as far back as 1/2023 started experiencing.

I think this is the reason/solution but I need more "default SM settings" specifically for the S Meter settings.

I realize each radio is unique and the numbers will change from one radio to the next. But the numbers will be within a "range".

I only have 1 set of data (Oct 2022) to use (that's why I need more data sets of earlier Q5N2's.

I attached a small spreadsheet that will show what I am looking at.

The RFG setting has remained consistent at 86 across all production runs.

The settings for rows AF RS1 & AF RS3 and UL RS1 & UL RS3 are what I am noticing.

The 10/2022 settings are significantly lower than the later default SM settings. By S5 the settings have pretty much caught up.

Also note the "calibrated" settings for S1 & S3 are much lower than the factory Defaults. Again, by S5, they have pretty much caught up and for S9+60 they are higher.

If you have "calibrated" your S meter settings using a RF Generator that has adjustable output (preferably in -dBm) and adjusted the settings indicated on the spreadsheet, then please include those settings too.

P.S. - If you could post your "default" Service Menu S meter settings starting with AF RS1 ending with RFG (Service Menu items CH40~CH52) and the first 8 digits of your SN that would help a lot.

P.S.S. - If you have calibrated/adjusted your S Meter settings and still feel that the RX is too sensitive, you can adjust the RFG setting. NOTE - If you do, you will need to re-calibrate the S meter.

BTW, all of this info is from other posters here, I don't take credit for any of it.

Thanks

Attachments

• Q5N2 & 7900 RX S meter settings .xlsx
    9.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It has all the adjustment you need. AM FM, and SSB. Both adjustable from S1 to S12.

And even an RFG setting to play with (maybe reduce it and see what happens).

WRITE DOWN YOUR DEFAULT VALUES BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING! And also, know exactly what you are doing, otherwise you should keep out of this menu.

(NOTE: I have not had to touch these, so you are on your own with how this goes for you).

In the Menu:

CH-40AF RS1
CH-41AF RS3
CH-42AF RS5
CH-43AF RS7
CH-44AF RS9
CH-45AFRS12
CH-46UL RS1
CH-47UL RS3
CH-48UL RS5
CH-49UL RS7
CH-50UL RS9
CH-51ULRS12
CH-52RFG

@Pez - the one setting above S9 is confusing to me. The meter reads s9+20, S9+40, and S9+60. The setting is labeled "S12" (AFRS12 & ULRS12) which equals S9+18 dBm which is less than the +20 mark on the meter. Seems like you would actually want to calibrate on a meter mark not somewhere in between marks; probably the highest mark on the meter.

It seems more logical to "calibrate" the +60 mark on the meter since it is the highest reading, but that would be S19 not S12.

Am I overlooking something?

Are S units above S9 20dB instead of 6dB?

Last edited:
@Pez - the one setting above S9 is confusing to me. The meter reads s9+20, S9+40, and S9+60. The setting is labeled "S12" (AFRS12 & ULRS12) which equals S9+18 dBm which is less than the +20 mark on the meter. Seems like you would actually want to calibrate on a meter mark not somewhere in between marks; probably the highest mark on the meter.

It seems more logical to "calibrate" the +60 mark on the meter since it is the highest reading, but that would be S19 not S12.

Am I overlooking something?

Are S units above S9 20dB instead of 6dB?
Hi @Dr_DX

I have replied here: https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/anytone-at-5555n2-receive-noise-work-around.265903/post-826508

This was posted in another thread but needs to be posted here.

This is regarding the high Noise floor on later runs of the Q5N2 that users as far back as 1/2023 started experiencing.

I think this is the reason/solution but I need more "default SM settings" specifically for the S Meter settings.

I realize each radio is unique and the numbers will change from one radio to the next. But the numbers will be within a "range".

I only have 1 set of data (Oct 2022) to use (that's why I need more data sets of earlier Q5N2's.

I attached a small spreadsheet that will show what I am looking at.

The RFG setting has remained consistent at 86 across all production runs.

The settings for rows AF RS1 & AF RS3 and UL RS1 & UL RS3 are what I am noticing.

The 10/2022 settings are significantly lower than the later default SM settings. By S5 the settings have pretty much caught up.

Also note the "calibrated" settings for S1 & S3 are much lower than the factory Defaults. Again, by S5, they have pretty much caught up and for S9+60 they are higher.

If you have "calibrated" your S meter settings using a RF Generator that has adjustable output (preferably in -dBm) and adjusted the settings indicated on the spreadsheet, then please include those settings too.

P.S. - If you could post your "default" Service Menu S meter settings starting with AF RS1 ending with RFG (Service Menu items CH40~CH52) and the first 8 digits of your SN that would help a lot.

P.S.S. - If you have calibrated/adjusted your S Meter settings and still feel that the RX is too sensitive, you can adjust the RFG setting. NOTE - If you do, you will need to re-calibrate the S meter.

BTW, all of this info is from other posters here, I don't take credit for any of it.

Thanks
Hey Doc,

Just received my new N2 this morning. S meter is zero with no antenna, S5 to S7 with antenna. S meter is within 2 s units with other radios in my shack, IC-7300 on 65' end fed with AH4 tuner, R8600 receiver on PAR SWL endfed, Shakespeare Fortress and TRC-485 on the attic antenna. Antenna is a 36" no ground (right!) in my condo attic.

Last six of my serial number is 580763. I will record the requested info when I get comfortable browsing the service menu. Are service menu settings also available via the Anytone software?

FYI - The case sides were mildly scratched and was missing some hardware from the bag of screws/fuse which was open. I'm not saying this was a used radio but it is slightly suspicious. Amazon vendor was Hi Radio.

Nick

Are service menu settings also available via the Anytone software?

FYI - The case sides were mildly scratched and was missing some hardware from the bag of screws/fuse which was open. I'm not saying this was a used radio but it is slightly suspicious. Amazon vendor was Hi Radio.

Nick

No, the service menu settings are not available via the software. Be careful. One wrong button press and you will overwrite the factory settings.

That is a returned radio for sure.

Reactions: Brother DXer
O-Boy it came to day and it even works ,and if you had seen how it was packed you,d know why I said that . Just AMAZING . Any way it,s to late to do the mod to day for me and it did not come with the programming cable that will have to come later to .Hopefully I will see how it works with TX and Rec tomorrow , today I,m cooking dinner . See Ya
only need to open case find white wire by a 3 pin clip. cut white wire & move clip from 1 2 to 2 3 and it will be ready for CB band D , turn on and chose band selector and put on D band

Hey Doc,

Just received my new N2 this morning. S meter is zero with no antenna, S5 to S7 with antenna. S meter is within 2 s units with other radios in my shack, IC-7300 on 65' end fed with AH4 tuner, R8600 receiver on PAR SWL endfed, Shakespeare Fortress and TRC-485 on the attic antenna. Antenna is a 36" no ground (right!) in my condo attic.

Last six of my serial number is 580763. I will record the requested info when I get comfortable browsing the service menu. Are service menu settings also available via the Anytone software?

Nick
Send it back, same thing happened to me with the first q5n2 I bought on Amazon. After that I bought a 7900v and q5n2 from Scott's and when I got those out there was no doubt left that the one Amazon sent was a return.

They won't be scarred up out of the box new, no way.

AT-5555N II how to get in to the service menu thanks
I was reading this morning of a shop that returned 2 of N-2 radios back to the owners non working because the owner bricked the radios playing in the service menu.
People don't seem to understand that " resetting" the radio will not bring them back to life.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.