• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-5555n II (version 2)

@Pez - the one setting above S9 is confusing to me. The meter reads s9+20, S9+40, and S9+60. The setting is labeled "S12" (AFRS12 & ULRS12) which equals S9+18 dBm which is less than the +20 mark on the meter. Seems like you would actually want to calibrate on a meter mark not somewhere in between marks; probably the highest mark on the meter.

It seems more logical to "calibrate" the +60 mark on the meter since it is the highest reading, but that would be S19 not S12.

Am I overlooking something?

Are S units above S9 20dB instead of 6dB?
-73dBm=S9 -13dBm=S9+60

Reactions: NZ8N and Pez
Agreed, I only changed the lowest S meter gain setting. The new firmware should address this.
Thanks. I'll try it. I'm working into plugging it to my PC or playing with the settings. I'm new aylt this radio thing and I'm learning, but afraid I'll change the wrong thing and mess something up. I know I can set it back to default, but not sure if I can blow anything by the wrong settings before that while learning. Learning about SSB.

I emailed the Amazon seller about the 11 meter mod for this new radio and got a reply this evening. They're telling me they can guide me to the mod but will need the programming cable..... Hmmmm. So this one may not have the wire on the board to snip like the strykers.
It does have the wire inside to cut and a jumper to move over... YouTube is your friend

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread . (I can't believe I read the whole thing !) Copy on the noise floors on these radios , no big deal to me with the Noise Reduction set at 2 or 3. (Hell ! They make people sound great without the hash and trash) Weather they have the big filtering crystals from yesteryears or not , they receive great and plus I live in the big city with all the aliments around me that my antennas can pick up. Somebody said something about the channels changing on them while keying up , it can be a few things like the PTT in the mic or the cord or just RF acting up having to do with the channel changing buttons on the mic , looks to me like the Chinese added a fix for that , It's called the channel key lock on the radio , problem solved ! (or you could pick up the Uniden electret stock mic doing away with the channel buttons)

The fact they work great right out of the box is a dream come true , and you better have the right equipment to mess with the software if you decide to play technician , LEAVE IT ALONE ! The stock mic is kind of a powered mic with the voltage going to the audio pin on the mic , they sure sound like HF quality audio to me ! Gotta love those electret elements ! 250.00 shipped to my door , such a deal ! I realize radio operators can be very picky and I get that , but for the price and the performance , these radios are very nice. I can't believe I bought another one ! Thanks again everyone for your input throughout this thread . Switch

So I haven't been keeping track but keep hearing praise on this radio, so I'm wondering How many versions is there of this radio? Or should I say What is the absolute Newest version of this radio, so if a man was going to buy one he didn't find there was more fixes done to it?

So I haven't been keeping track but keep hearing praise on this radio, so I'm wondering How many versions is there of this radio? Or should I say What is the absolute Newest version of this radio, so if a man was going to buy one he didn't find there was more fixes done to it?
There is the original 5555
The original 5555N
Both of those are two completely different radios from each other as indicated by the N.

Then now there is
The newest 5555+ to replace the original 5555

And the 5555N2 to replace the original 5555N
Again two completely different radios.

There's supposedly a 5555+n that's like the 5555+ but with NR circuit but I've yet to see one.

This thread is supposed to be about the newest 5555N2 but many have chimed in with other versions so it can get confusing to someone not knowing. Hopefully I could make some sense of it.

The first thing I do on all of my HF radios and CB's, is align the S9 value back to -73dBm. I will never understand why a large part of the CB radio world wants to see -67dBm. But to each their own.

Here is a good reference for anyone that is interested: https://www.giangrandi.org/electronics/radio/smeter.shtml

I agree, it would be nice to have a single standard, but as far as I am concerned, you can blame the IARU for that.

By 1981, there were millions of radios out in the public and the vast majority of them (CB's), used -67dBM/100uV/+46dBu for S9. Even amateur radio makers had different "standards". Kenwood, Yaesu, Collins, Swan, National, etc. all had different settings for S9.

In 1981, the IARU put forth a "recommendation" to use the "Collins Standard" (-73dBm = S9) for freqs. below 30Mhz. Since then Full HF rigs pretty much use that standard.

However, even current CB's and 10 meter radio manufacturers, with the exception of CPI, continue to use -67dBm for S9 as they have for the last 50 years.

So instead of doing the smart thing and adopting a standard that matched 90%+ of the existing radios at the time, the IARU chose something different...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.