• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AT-6666 MOBILE

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
My wife is gifting me with a new AT-6666 for Christmas. I will get it in Saturday.
I know there are numerous owners of this radio on the forum. I intend to use mine for both 10 and 11 meter mobile operation. Those of you who do this may have found an antenna system that keeps them operational through the CB band and the popular lower SSB portion of the 10m band.
Could you share your setup? Mine will be in my pickup truck. I can go with two antennas and a switch for each band if that is the best course to take.
Thanks.

It is an attractive choice, isn’t it?

I’m going to hazard a guess that response quality for mobile use will partly hinge on the antenna system in place. No stone left unturned . . . or variations on “budget-conscious”.

There’s permanent mount (antenna analyzer confirmations) and there’s everything else.

Granted that the radio isn’t the center of such a discussion. But, what’s assumed has a way of muddying the waters in asking about performance.

So, are you really going to be using a Sha-Sha bedspring pair atop a full-length ladder rack? 16’ long by 6’ wide? I know I’ll be looking forward to the modeled take-off angles on that.

Those of you who do this may have found an antenna system that keeps them operational through the CB band and the popular lower SSB portion of the 10m band.
Tune antenna to 10m band. When talking on CB extend antenna by adding proper length piece of wire on top with brass insert from wire connection cube. That way you can have antenna in resonance on cb and 10m.
images.jpg
Mike

Thanks guys.
No rack on the truck. Extended cab. Until now I've been using a bed toolbox mount about a foot behind the cab. I have two mounts, one on each side, because I tried installing a six meter mobile. No success. Still have an option in that.

Homer about the only thing that will come close to a good screwdriver is those Hustler antennas...You get the foldover masts that are 54" long then add the 10 / 11 /12 meter loads close to 7ft long to end...The mast puts the center loads above the cab line in clear space...Hard to find anything to rival that set-up.
With the Tri-band adaptor can have 10/11/12 meters off of one stick..
I used those Hustlers for years before screwdriver antenna....
No Hamstick or base load style antenna will work better!
All the Best
Gary

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.