• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBi explains antennas. (put on your high boots)

Wait. A properly designed and built amplifier?

I never understood why these guys like BBI and friends can't make something at least halfway decent.

Now the antenna thing is gold.

Reactions: Rwb and Tallman
Wait. A properly designed and built amplifier?

I never understood why these guys like BBI and friends can't make something at least halfway decent.

Now the antenna thing is gold.
A lot of those amps are not designed and built by engineer. Too much of the "Folklore" and incorrect theories get incorporated into the design most of which are old "Prototypes" and are copied over and over.

The owner didn't think it was funny. I believe that is his work because he was big about "upgrading" parts. The big 5 watt 100 ohm resistors on the feedback circuits and are not DM. They should be 2 watt 100 ohm. These resistors get smoking hot if an amp goes into oscillation. The upgrade is an attempt to hide a problem.

What he did with the splitters and combiners is not DM. Some idea he dreamed up that didn't work. More 5 watt resistor and some sandbar resistors there. Those hide an imbalance. DM has 2 watts on their splitters and combiners. When I work on an amp I put 1/2 watts in there for testing. If they get warm after you hammer on it for a few minutes you have an imbalance.

The cool looking chokes from the output transformers to B+ have his name all over them. It's an inductor. Looking cool doesn't make it work better.
I wonder if they are using Beta matched transistor?

Reactions: Rwb
I wonder if they are using Beta matched transistor?

Not as many people did that in the Toshiba days. The quality was better and you could get away without it. Amps that have lived a hard life usually develop balance issues from leaky or weak transistors.

Sometimes caps or resistor values drift. I've found it best to just go through and test everything. I even match capacitors to get it as good as I possibly can.

Reactions: Rwb and Tallman
I have two ways to check the gain on bipolar transistors, I have an industry standard Sencore and a computerized hand held. The small tinker toy is more consistent and test more devices and is more accurate.
I test all pills before I install them. I find lots of mismatched transistors and some that are outright bad.

Reactions: Rwb
So, if time is contained in a bottle and coax length is adjusted to balance both volume & pressure theoretically, one could have the signal arrive at the same moment EVERYWHERE using a Venturi-cannon antenna.

Wish I knew enough to rilly make an intelligent “funny”.
I just dislike his presentation style. Drags
and if BULLSHIT were gold they be multi millionaires

Reactions: Eldorado828
All you need is to have a Flux Capacitor put to the antenna jack of your CB so it will store the relative potential energy loss from a not ideal, "non perfect match antenna system." 10 meter, or multi final radios may require two Flux Capacitors. The Flux Capacitor discharge may send your transmission through time and space, or at least let you get that bear report you missed a few miles back.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.