• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

I have been using .425 longer than Todd, I just do not use it exclusively. I operate other bands as well. I like 425 because of where is located on the band. If I want to use ten, I check first to be sure he is not already there before I start. So monitoring 425, you might hear me. But Todd is good indicator of band conditions.
Rich
That's the only real thing he is good for, a beacon for band conditions.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you have an swr meter? If not get one. :)

One is on the way...mailed from Wisc Monday.

I didn't need one on 11 meter...my Cobra 148GTL has one built in that is fairly accurate.

I'm about to decide that this Ham thing is a LOT like my AR-15...the gun, or the radio...is just the start.Accessories like extra mags, optics, sling, tac light, ets are like tuners, switches, etc...you can spend a LOT if you don't have some self control!

I'm about to decide that this Ham thing is a LOT like my AR-15...the gun, or the radio...is just the start.Accessories like extra mags, optics, sling, tac light, ets are like tuners, switches, etc...you can spend a LOT if you don't have some self control!
Welcome to Ham Radio!

I have more expensive hobbies but ham radio ranks right up there.

At this point I'm not even sure anymore that I'm operating the radio correctly, that I have all controls in correct settings.

I was just on 28.425 and there was Todd, clear as a bell, and I called and he never flinched...just kept doing his thing.

I've tried to get back to a couple of others I heard fairly well today as well.

Nada. Nothing.

If you had 1.5 kw and a beam pointing at Tpdd amd I doubt he would answer you. I think he is not even in the house when he's on the air.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Todd is running at least 500 watts from a single 3-500, so he does not hear nearly as well as he transmits. Just remember that the basic rule is no more power than what is needed to make the contact. I know Laura has him on probation, so that might the next thing he gets warned about.
Rich

OK...let's see if I have everything set right to give me the best shot at a contact:

SEND/REC is in REC.
Mode is SSB
PROC is ON
VOX is MAN
Meter Switch is ALC
FIX Switch is VFO
Mic/Carrier: Carrier is all the way counterclockwise and Mic is at ~1:00.
AF/RF Gain: RF gain full clockwise, AF gain adjusted for volume.
RIT/IF Shift: Properly using RIT to tune off freq signals, IF Shift is centered.
Band...correct or wouldn't see right freq in display.
RIT off except when fine tuning.
Narrow/Wide set to Wide
RF ATT set to off.
Noise Blanker is off.

I took A99 down a few hours ago and muved the tuning rings up as high as possible to shorten the antenna and get as close to 28.300 as possible without cutting the top foot off. I don't want to ruin it for 11 meter for when I get the fan dipole up.

While I had it down I probably should have taken some zip ties and made an RF choke, just in case. There is enough extra coax in the line to have done that, but I didn't think about it until the antenna was back up.

Do not have an SWR meter...one is on the waty from Wisc and will be here tomorrow or Friday.

Am I missing something? Something besides making a contact, that is?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.