• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

Well, at least that confirms that you are making RF. Expect to have my new, used, power supply within a week. Found a good deal on a used Astron rs35a.
Rich

Well, at least that confirms that you are making RF. Expect to have my new, used, power supply within a week. Found a good deal on a used Astron rs35a.
Rich

Yeah, but I'm not sure how much power I'm getting...I put a Vanco SWR-2 on it and hope the meter is wrong...it shows 10 watts.

On the other hand, it shows the SWR on my A99 to be 1.7.

Last edited:
Multi-tasking while trying for contacts

OK...I've been sitting here trying to make contacts while 10 is open with the mic in one hand and the soldering gun in the other (hoping I don't bring the wrong hand to my lips if I want to talk), and thought I'd show y'all were I am on the 4 band, 80-10 meter fan dipole.

Look through these and see if any of you see any mistakes I need to correct before its WAAAYYY up in the air.

fan-dipole-01.jpeg

4X24 inch sched 4 PVC. 4 bands, 4 holes, 5.5 inches apart, 4.25 inches from each end.​

fan-dipole-02.jpeg

Sheet copper, 2x20 inches, with holes to match the ones in the PVC.​

fan-dipole-03.jpeg

Second sheet of copper, and 4 eyebolts making sure holes in copper match holes in PVC.​

fan-dipole-04.jpeg

Holes don't match perfectly, with waves in copper, but are close enough to work.​

fan-dipole-05.jpeg

Starting from the outside:
Eyebolt with nut first, then washer, through PVC
Washer
Copper
Washer
Nut
Two washers
Nut

fan-dipole-06.jpeg

14 AWG stranded copper wire comes in through small hole, and is knotted 6 inches from the end. Wire is clamped between the two adjoining washers.​

fan-dipole-07.jpeg

View from the top end of the collector.​

fan-dipole-8.jpeg[/ATTACH]​

View from the bottom end of the collector, a 12 inch wire soldered to each sheet of copper.​

8 pictures maximum per post. The last two are in the next post.

Last two before closing it up:

fan-dipole-09.jpeg

12 inches of wire fed to inside of collector. Its attached to the screw eye with one turn of wire around eye, then two UV resistant zip ties. I hope the tiny coild of wire around the screw eye doesn't cause issues.​

fan-dipole-10.jpeg

Finished except for closing it up, attaching the balun, and hanging the thing!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.