• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Beginner ham antenna questions

Is it as easy as fig 1 shows here?

The Dipole Antenna - What is a dipole Antenna?

Between 2 trees? (I know...make accomodations for tree growth and swaying in the wind)And how high? As high as I'm willing to climb? (I get nosebleeds at anything over the second rung on a stepladder...)

Amazing how high you can get with a slingshot and fishing line with both feet firmly on the ground. Yes the dipole is as easy as it gets.

Why not spend a little extra and get a new radio like and alinco sr8t or similar. The icom ic-7200 is a bit more expensive but appears to be one heck of a radio as well.

Well, that one...the 520S...ain't gonna happen, for 2 reasons...

1. Doesn'tr do PayPal or any othjer payment method that protects me, but he want''s himself protected. He'll do personal check, Postal Money Order, whatever...and will ship the radio AFTER his bank says everything has cleared. I don't have a "STUPID" tattoo across my forhead.

2. He's a prick for reasons other than #1.

Back to looking.

Pretty common practice these days, scammers can counterfeit about anything anymore....If PayPal is not an option I use USPS Postal MO. I just always check their Callsign info on Qrz and/or FCC database to make sure everything matches....if payment AD/Name...etc. does not match...Deal is over.
All the Best
Gary

Rig search over...I think!

Man...you guys have been awesome to a total newbie!

All the advice on how to get started on a tiny TINY budget...lots of feedback on different radios I was considering...a bit of antenna talk (which will pick up now...:D)...you guys don't know how much I appreciate it.

I think I've found the radio...a Kenwood TS-130s that I got for $275.00. Sale is not completely a done deal yet as the seller found a small issue that he wants to fix before we settle the deal. He's a good, old fashioned Ham who wants to do folks right. He's even including a mic, though that wasn't supposed to be part of the deal. I'll know for sure Thursday or Friday when he gets the small issue fixed.

So...radio deal (probably) done, studying for the Tech and General tests I'll be taking next Monday...now...

I start bugging y'all about antennas!...:D:D:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.