• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mic Capsule You Can Buy for CB/Amature Under $2000 Electret Condenser $50 or Less!

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
Primo 6-111693 Microphone NEW W/ B&K CAL CERT!! It Bruel & Kjaer

I have been using these for years. I posted about them a few years back. I think I have still have 4 new in the box. I think I paid between $24 to $36 back when I first posted about them. I found them on Ebay and they still have about 13 left!

If you want to build or modify a mic to sound like a $2000 microphone on a budget this is the ticket get them while they are hot. If you do hifi or eSSB and like electret mic's this is as good as it will ever get for you!

You can find them on that famous action sight we all have a love/hate relationship with. They seller is asking $50 OBE.

Given the ever increasing price of things and the true studio quality of this items and fantastic price point I wanted to pass it on a second time.

I hate that people never or seldom pass on a great deal on a truly fantastic item.

Like any electret it is not plug and play for most radio's except the newest it will require power and blocking cap etc.....

s-l1600.png

Reactions: FredTx63

Okay this is interesting but can someone educate me some on how to use it with a CB radio? Found it on eBay. Don't understand how to make this mic setup key up or how it would be used say in a typical 4pin Cobra mic situation?

73, Retro

Okay this is interesting but can someone educate me some on how to use it with a CB radio? Found it on eBay. Don't understand how to make this mic setup key up or how it would be used say in a typical 4pin Cobra mic situation?

73, Retro
You would need to supply the key switch and find a way to get a voltage to the mic element. Which may mean building a small box to hold a small power supply or batteries and a PTT switch, or doing a little work inside the radio to supply the voltage from there. Either way you'll need a cap for blocking said voltage from the audio input to the radio.

If you want a mic with that flat of a response curve, it would be worth the effort.

The stock hand mic on the IC-7300 is electret, I wonder if this would work well on it. Do you stuff that thing in an existing dynamic microphone frame like a Shure Sm58 or Heil ICM? Otherwise might have to get creative with a boom mount or holding it like a little Bob Barker microphone lol.

These are interesting. Looking at the manufacture's website these are microphones for scientific measurements of sound, not studio application.

Last edited:

73, Retro
Search this forum for hifi, plenty of info on how to do this

Something like this would give the phantom power to power the mic element. It also has a 3 band eq and adjustable reverb.

Professional Audio Mixer, ALPOWL Sound Board Console System, Interface 4 Channel Digital USB Bluetooth MP3 Computer Input 48V Phantom Power Stereo DJ Studio Streaming FX 16-Bit DSP Processor Amazon product ASIN B08F9X3LZ6
Then get an ibox and cord to the radio, along with a ptt box from Julius.

Last edited:
It is just like any electret mic just like the tiny ones people toss into D104's. You run power up the mic cord.

Only this is much larger thant he tiny elements most use. For none hifi or non-eSSB I would just use a much smaller and cheaper eletectret like what are used in cordless phones, cell phones, and many other electronic devices like headset's.

To be clear this mic would be overkill for regular unmodified CB just to be clear.

If you look at the much deeper heads on some of the older Astatic Desc mic's for SSB use instead of the shallow one most people associate with the D104 fit this no problem.

On top of that a lot of people that do hifi, eSSB, direct inject, Aysomod, etc... already use cheap XLR and USB mics and key the radio separately just like you do with very powerful amps.

Once you put power on the appropriate pin you will need to either add a resistor and cap internally to the appropriate pin or to the mic itself. Since you will likely want to try other mic elements most do this to the mic to tune it individually to each element.

I use Gentex uparmored mic elements/capsule in my hand mics. A bag of ten costs a few dollars. Did not chose those for superiors sound quality rather availability, cost, durability and I could use them to repair my aviation head sets. They sound better than any CB mic element but that is just a happy chance. As long as noise in the background is not an issue going electret is the upgrade most thought they would get from a power mic but never actually saw. You get much better sound quality and much beefier signal to the radio! I use Gentex DS100833-00 It has flat response where we need it and is designed to resist EMI/RFI and water immersion to 2 feet.

And how much voltage would that capsule need?
If you look at the factory certification I posted inside the black inked box bottom left it tells you that the supplied results were achieved @4V. I do not have documentation for them so I do not know the upper limit. So blocking cap and resistor.

I do know that the Gentex mic element I run in my hand mic's can be run from 1.2V min to 20V max.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.