• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mobile CB antenna

Everything being equal, mounting location, antenna tuning for lowest VSWR, the 102" ~ 108" whip will be the best choice for the original poster's question ......
Low swr's? Then just strap a dummy load to the roof rack. But seriously...

The 1/4 will never have perfect swr's. But no antenna will. The sweet spot seems to be toward the back of a full sized van or "burb. And shunt will keep the reflect meter from jumping..but that works for any antenna.

Low swr's? Then just strap a dummy load to the roof rack. But seriously...

The 1/4 will never have perfect swr's. But no antenna will. The sweet spot seems to be toward the back of a full sized van or "burb. And shunt will keep the reflect meter from jumping..but that works for any antenna.

So, your point is that a shorter antenna is better than a 102" ~ 108" whip .......
As I posted earlier, all things being equal, a shorter antenna is never better than a long whip ..... remember the thread,
Best Mobile CB antenna .....

“Best” and “Mobile” contain two separate thought processes. The best antenna (108" long) is not always the best mobile antenna, unless you’re driving in a desert with no overhead wires, trees or a Mickey D’s drive-through. :D

So, your point is that a shorter antenna is better than a 102" ~ 108" whip .......
As I posted earlier, all things being equal, a shorter antenna is never better than a long whip ..... remember the thread,
Best Mobile CB antenna .....
1/2 wave mobile then.

Everything being equal, mounting location, antenna tuning for lowest VSWR, the 102" ~ 108" whip will be the best choice for the original poster's question ......
Problem with the 102-108" whips tho, is very few will opt to mount one on the roof since they don't want to be banging every stop light, and low hanging phone lines around town...Then if you mount the whip anywhere else, you defeat the purpose of using a whip antenna by putting it in a compromise location where it wont operate at it's full potential...Hard to beat a whip antenna mounted right...just most can't mount one where it needs to be, and for that reason I still think Predator 10K, and the Monkey Made's are better antenna's not just because they tune very easy and low, but can be mounted in optimal locations easier than something like the whip...

Did a ton of testing back in the 90's. If he's close, you'll never see a difference due to AGC.
It's depending on the radio meter calibration and the alcohol to brain cell ratio at the time of the testing.
I tested a Davemade and Tiny Made coil. A 1/4 wip, Wilson 5000 and a Goldenrod over the same night.
Don't recall the distance, but I was setup at the Belmar Marina in NJ. The other stations where located in Lake Hopatcong, Red Bank, and outside of Pocono PA. With a ton of locals.. a barely detectable difference far away. Locals did not notice a change. The best 2 being the 1/4 and Goldenrod.

Did a ton of testing back in the 90's. If he's close, you'll never see a difference due to AGC.
It's depending on the radio meter calibration and the alcohol to brain cell ratio at the time of the testing.
I tested a Davemade and Tiny Made coil. A 1/4 wip, Wilson 5000 and a Goldenrod over the same night.
Don't recall the distance, but I was setup at the Belmar Marina in NJ. The other stations where located in Lake Hopatcong, Red Bank, and outside of Pocono PA. With a ton of locals.. a barely detectable difference far away. Locals did not notice a change. The best 2 being the 1/4 and Goldenrod.

You couldn't pay me enough to run a silly looking Goldenrod antenna on my truck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.