• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BOOTY 4

got a little done today .
here's the loop with the new brackets on it .

IMG_0110.jpg

here's the loop , bracket , tube and rod all together minus the hose clamps .
i took great pains to keep them straight so i really hope they line up right . it all ties together rock solid now . the excess bolt thread will be cut off .

IMG_0112.jpg

heres a pic of the basket and the pipe with the lower bracket .

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

ive still got to drill the plate , attach the basket tubes to the bottom bracket with two bolts like the tubes on the top bracket , make a strap better than the hose clamp ...... and add some swr cream (y)

Attachments

• SWR_Cream.jpg
    SWR_Cream.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 379
Last edited by a moderator:
ive still got to drill the plate , attach the basket tubes to the bottom bracket with two bolts like the tubes on the top bracket , make a strap better than the hose clamp ...... and add some swr cream (y)

I thought the Blue SWR ceam was better then red.:unsure:

Lookin Good cant wait to see it up in the air!!

Question for ya, when you start adjusting SWR on this antenna or I guess one that is premade how does it get done?

thanks Superidgit . the blue swr cream probably is better , but i just run a 2 pill and the blue is so expensive . i hope the red holds up for me :D

it will use a gamma match for tuning . the length of the vertical and basket elements can be adjusted also .

i used some 1 1/2 x 1/16 strip to make a strap to hold bottom brackets to the vertical .

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

i think it looks much better than 2 or 3 hose clamps would have and it's definitely stronger . supposed to get together with my bud this evening and get the 2 1/8 inch hole saw bit . once i get the big hole drilled in the plate i have to attach the bottom basket tubes to the brackets with the plate . put on the basket and get it straight then attach the gamma tap arm . i'll go ahead and cut the excess bolt threads off to .

Last edited by a moderator:
Booty, I'm not sure why you want to put a plate on the bottom for your coax connector. What you have already is certainly strong enough. I'd place a kidney shaped piece of aluminum plate between two of your radial angles in that flat part between the vertical and the angled bend and put the SO-239 in it.

bootybracket.jpg

but actually ..... the plate really isn't needed . i had thought of just running the 1 inch strips from tabs for the bottom of the basket radials to split to better contact the vertical pole and strip a chunk or plate with a couple of 45 degree bends a inch apart . a lil tab could hold the stud .
but i like the little plate idea . everything attaches to one solid point with lots of surface area for those connections .

it could definitely be made without the plate . i thought of doing like you said , but the plate will lock everything in place at the bottom and keep it all symmetrical . and ive already got the plate so i may as well do something with it . i also think it will look bad azz :D

;) the plate also makes it easy for me to do a few little different things i haven't mentioned yet too :whistle:

finally got the plate done and attached . heres a view from the top .

IMG_0117.jpg

and here's one from the bottom .

IMG_0118.jpg

the reason the main hole is so big is because i'm gonna order two more sections (1 3/4 & 1 7/8) of tubing to double wall the two bottom sections down the road a lil bit . i also want to get a better stud mount somewhere along the way too . . the hole was made with a 2 inch hole saw bit .

thank you OGP . my original plans didn't didn't' provide the strength i thought they would so i had to re-think things and start over again . i just need to get nine more nuts , bolts and washers (and drill the holes for them) and i can finally get it together . .........assuming my x works like i think it will . :whistle:

here's how i'm putting the basket elements on and trying to keep them straight .

IMG_0120.jpg

there's a 2 inch slit in the bottom of each 5 1/2 ft tube for the 2 inch tab to go onto . i drill a 1/8 inch pilot hole in the middle of the slit about a 1/2 inch or so from the bottom straight through . then i slip it over the tube holding it in the center at the bottom and use the same bit to to go through the tab . i take the bit out the drill and drop it through the three holes to hold it in place . i then use a piece of tape (i had duct tape) to hold the element in position along the vertical . then i take out the 1/8 bit and use a 1/4 inch bit to drill the hole through and and install the 1/4 SS nut washers and bolt . then i do the second one above it . its a little time consuming , but it seems to be doing what i want .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.