• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BOOTY 4

ordered 3 more sections of tubing this morning and just got back from lowes with some #8 hardware :D

some pics of the latest changes .
my tubing came so i can double wall the two bottom sections . the first will be 1 7/8 diameter and the second will be 1 5/8 , each higher section will be single wall . all tubing is 0.058" wall, 6063-T832 drawn . i changed the tabs holding the bottom of the ground/basket elements to the 1 inch x 1/8 inch strip instead of the 1 inch x 1/16 , moved the tabs and clamp to hold the plate assembly to the main vertical to underneath to clean up the top section .
a few more minor changes to come .

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

what i had before ...

IMG_0117.jpg

humid as heck today ... but i got a little done after the honey do list was finished .

IMG_0145.jpg

changed the way the basket supporting X mounts so it locks into place and doesn't have but maybe 3/8 of an inch of wiggle out where the elements pass through .

heres a look at how the top of the double walled bottom section looks with my homemade clamp on it .... it's actually 4 walls thick from there to 12 inches down . the clamp is 1 1/2 x 1/16 strip with 1 x 1/8 tabs to keep the 1/16 from bending and tearing when the bolts are tightened down .

IMG_0144.jpg

i neatly filed down the hole in the x support so the 1 5/8 tube snugly fits in it . i also notched it so the bracket lockes it in place .

IMG_0143.jpg

i also got my bottom plate clamp made . its two pieces of 1 x 1/16 with 2 inch tabs .

IMG_0146.jpg

it'll definately be cleaner up top where everything attaches too .

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

its not tightened down and not at its final place on the vertical .... but thats how it goes together .

that's what you get for helping a dense parroting tool .:LOL::LOL::LOL:
but really i'm just using some of your ideas and trying to address the physical faults you found with the antenna . double walling the too bottom sections most likely wont make any difference where i live ..... but what the heck ...
thanks for the kind words ;)

got a little more done .....
here's the bottom bracket with the basket elements attached . with the exception of the so239/stud mount and the gamma its finished and i have no further plans for it . (y)

IMG_0149.jpg

here's another pic of the under side of the X locked in place with by the home made clamp .

IMG_0150.jpg

and here's a pic of the top of the X with the home made clamps made from re-purposed u-bolts and re-purposed 1/8 inch aluminum strip from a previous antenna project . these suckers hold tight and dont strip like the little hose clamps (y) . they clamp the top 3/8 basket rod to the lower 1/2 inch tube and also lock the X at the top .... so the X has no twist and can't move up and down either , its locked firmly in place .... which also locks the basket elements firmly in place . i'm finished with that part too (y)

IMG_0151.jpg

i used the same clamps for the top too . i still need to cut down the bolts holding the ring on . ill replace them with 1/4 inch #8s if i change the ring to a different size ... or if i get rally bored and have nothing else to do . but that's pretty much done too . (y)

IMG_0152.jpg

i'll make another gamma arm to fit the larger bottom tube tomorrow and put the gamma on . i may mess with the pipe idea i have for mounting it to a mast to .

Last edited by a moderator:
with the exception of the so239/stud mount and the gamma its finished and i have no further plans for it .
B/M May I suggest something?

( I will take the liberty to do so)

try attaching some coax to it and sticking the thing in the Air, and ah maybe checking the standing wave....or even (oh god) TALK ON THE DAMN THING!

Unless you plan on using it to hang baskets on and maybe grow plants or something (y)

I could not resist :w00t:

Jeff

i talked on it with it on the deck . it did surprisingly well considering that . i've got a simple mast idea that i can raise and lower with no help that i should be able to do in a day or two the first week of the month . nothing as grand or high as what homer did . just a modest 1/2 wl high . then i can start to play with it .

but thanks for the suggestion (y)
got any more ? :D

thanks ASW .
i think i may have gotten a little carried away trying to make it strong . but it should easily handle any weather that could hit the east coast and still be talking when my ashes are feeding the fishes

It really does look great. I enjoy talking on mine every day. You should enjoy yours, too.
I look forward to seeing your mast when you get it done.

Man Booty!!

Nice work really nice work. Still think you should use for mobile purposes.

Question for you or someone here.

I am sure this won't be an issue for (atleast I think it won't).

How could you determine the max wattage that piece of art could handle?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.